Graduates: who's applying for 2013 entry?

Discussion in 'Aberdeen Medical School' started by Maria87, Mar 23, 2012.

1. afc1886

afc1886 New Member

I'm applying too - not heard anything yet though!

2. grey-heron

grey-heron New Member

I've had the standard acknowledgement, but nothing more yet from them. Just got an invitation to interview from Dundee, but I always expected to hear from them earlier, given that they make interview selections on academic basis only, I assume they can do they more quickly than Aberdeen who also need to score the personal statements.

3. afc1886

afc1886 New Member

Congratulations and good luck with the interview.

Not sure whether I've had an acknowledgment from Aberdeen - can't remember. Does it matter? It is showing up on my UCAS track meaning they did recieve my application. Maybe its in the post.....

I'm really hoping I hear something positive from Aberdeen. Unfortunately for me I was a few marks off the cut off point for GAMSAT, so relying on Southampton and Aberdeen

#23 afc1886, Nov 22, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2012
  4. afc1886

afc1886 New Member

Scratch that - just checked their online portal and that has a link to my acknowledgment later and an application status telling me they're considering my application.

The (nervous) wait continues!

5. grey-heron

grey-heron New Member

Ah, that's a relief! The little traffic light is a bit unnerving, don't you think?!

6. grey-heron

grey-heron New Member

Bad luck on the GAMSAT. I haven't done it, but sounds like it's really tough. Fingers crossed for Aberdeen and Southampton.

7. afc1886

afc1886 New Member

Haha yes it is indeed. I wonder when we'll hear back from them. Looking on thestudentroom some people have already been sent out interview dates, though all of them seem to live in Scotland, so perhaps there is a geographical correlation.

Thanks - yes the gamsat is tricky. Scoring low on one question ruins your chances. I really don't want to do it again so fingers crossed I get in this year!

Did you apply to just the three Scottish ones, or since you're already living in the Netherlands, did you consider any non-British European universities?

#27 afc1886, Nov 23, 2012
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2012
  8. grey-heron

grey-heron New Member

Now torn between panic that others are getting interview invitations and relief that the invitation process is underway. Hope you're right about the Scottish part... would make some kind of sense that the first people are more local, since they may be able to attend on shorter notice, I guess.

Yep, just the three scottish ones. I'm from Manchester originally, been out in NL for 12 years now. Had no real desire to go back to England, and having lived in a very build up place for the last while, am desperate to be somewhere with hills and countryside! Also my sister is in Scotland (on Shetland, so not really near anywhere... but she passes by Edinburgh and Aberdeen fairly frequently).

Would have also applied to Glasgow, although I was always a bit dubious about being in such a big city, but they didn't want me because I don't have GCSE bio, and because I did my A levels so long ago. I have done OU study (with a heavy bio/health sciences bias) but they don't count that unfortunately.

9. grey-heron

grey-heron New Member

As for whether I considered other non-British universities. Yes, started out also considering Canada, since I have dual nationality, but that was a bit of a non-starter due to the residence requirements. Unless I moved out there for a year or two first, chances of getting a place would be very low indeed, and even then it was a long shot. I loved the idea in some ways, but on the other hand, I don't really want to commit to a life that far away from my family, especially given that vacation allowance in Canada is generally very low compared to here.

I also looked at some of the Eastern European universities, but the courses are longer, and I'm not sure how graduate friendly they are, and also whether it's such a good move. Depending how things go with my application this year, I may come back to it, or also look at applying to Irish uni's.

I didn't really consider staying in The Netherlands because although there are many aspects of my life here that I really like, and moving on will be hard, I've never had the feeling that I wanted to spend the rest of my life here, and if I'm going to turn my life upside down, I want to take the opportunity to make a considered decision about where I live. I ended up in NL by chance, and it's been a good place for me, but I wouldn't necessarily have chosen it outright.

10. afc1886

afc1886 New Member

Definitely!! Just thinking about it makes me nervous...and worried! I keep thinking I should've added so and so to my personal statement!!

I just graduated from the University of Manchester actually - loved the place!!

Are there any Netherlands' med schools you would be eligible for? Or do you not fancy that at all?

Did you apply to the 5 year course in Dundee? Because they offer a 6 year Foundation one as well don't they? (Not too sure). Nervous about the interview?

11. grey-heron

grey-heron New Member

I'm doing my best not to think about my personal statement and what I should have said instead of what I did say! Guess I better reread it before the interview though.

I did my M.Sc. in Manchester, did consider apply there now, would be nice to be near my parents, but decided not to in the end. I'm not actually sure whether i could get into one of the Dutch med schools - all I know is that they have a lottery system, which rather put me off investigating further, for better or worse. I guess that as much as anything, I feel that although moving on is going to be hard, it's also the right thing to do.

Yep, applied for the 5 year course. Believe they do have a 6 year one as well, but I haven't looked into those. With a first degree in Physics, and quite a bit of OU courses in bio/health sciences, I figured that the normal 5 year course should be ok for me. I was a bit dubious about applying for 4 year courses though, especially since I've been out of academia for so long. Plus, I think the 5 year course gives me a bit more flexibility if I need to work in vacations.

Very nervous about the interview, trying not to panic too much about what I'm going to wear - I'm not used to dressing formally, and I have to admit that one thing I love about my work as a computer programmer is that jeans and a t-shirt are considered quite acceptable work wear! Bit of a nerdy tomboy I guess :)

12. Zedd

Zedd Member

Re: Dundee

The foundation course is basically for people that have good grades but no science subjects (hence why I've applied to that). I'm not sure if it's been mentioned but this year the UKCAT counts as 60% of a graduates pre-interview score so I'm seriously doubtful for myself (my average being 657.5) but it's great that you've got an interview :)

13. grey-heron

grey-heron New Member

I'd also read that about the UKCAT weighting, curious that they weight it differently for graduates than school leavers... perhaps as it's the only indicator which is necessarily recent, or perhaps because they feel there's less to distinguish between graduates, I'm not sure. Their system of selecting interviews based on academic performance only probably worked in my favour, but on the other hand, since they wipe the slate clean, and then work only from your interview performance, I'm not sure if it helps me in the long run either! My feeling is that I perform better on paper than in interview, but interviews are so much more subjective, it's really hard to judge.

Fingers crossed you get an interview too. Any idea how the competition for the 6 yrs compares to that of the 5 yr course?

14. Zedd

Zedd Member

I think it might have something to do with this years uptake being much larger than they had anticipated and so they want to reduce the number of offers and I suppose graduates are the logical group to squeeze out. Regarding competition for the 6 year course, I think that they treat your application as if you were applying to the 5 year degree so you've still got to compete with anyone else; the only difference is that if I'm successful I'll do a foundation year to (re)teach me the necessary chemistry and biology.

15. grey-heron

grey-heron New Member

Hmm, I assumed they'd always done it that way. Depressing thought, though I can hardly complain if they give preference to the younger folk, it does make a lot more business sense in terms of the length of career ahead of them. Hadn't realised that was how the foundation year worked, but it makes sense, you'll all be joining the A100 in second year after all.

16. Zedd

Zedd Member

No, it was something new (and highly surprising) for this year. I only realised after I had sent away my UCAS :/

17. grey-heron

grey-heron New Member

Gah, that's annoying. How do you think you sit for the rest of your choices?

18. afc1886

afc1886 New Member

When is your interview? Haha I understand not wanting to dress formally, cant say I'm a fan myself!

Were Dundee flexible with the interview dates?

19. grey-heron

grey-heron New Member

Next Monday, at 9:15am! First session of all, I think. They gave a selection of four slots each Monday-Friday, but by the time I'd sorted stuff out, most of them were gone. Since I'm coming from abroad and we're really busy at work, I wanted to minimize time off but still have time to look around the city, so Monday was best. And since the last flights out of both Edinburgh and Aberdeen are around 5pm, it was either the early slot or catch a pre-6 am flight the next morning and then go straight to work - not a great option! Now, of course, I'm going to be paranoid about oversleeping, especially as sunrise isn't until 8:25, and I'm used to it being light a little earlier!

It seems that the open up the interview slots session by session, the next lot would be in January, but you couldn't book those until the December ones were full. I figured I'd rather get it over and done with, especially since there's more risk of flight problems early January. The nice thing is that you can book it through their online system, which worked really well.

20. Zedd

Zedd Member

If it makes anyone feel better about not getting an interview yet I've just been looking at the previous years 'stalking page' thing on thestudentroom and it appears that the vast majority of graduate applicants are interviewed in January, February, and March.