1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graduates: who's applying for 2013 entry?

Discussion in 'Aberdeen Medical School' started by Maria87, Mar 23, 2012.

1. Maria87

Maria87 New Member

This thread is for those who are thinking of putting in an application in Oct 2012 for Aberdeen.
    Please introduce youreself, whether your degree is a life-science, why Aberdeen?....etc any relevant info.

Let me start by saying a bit about myself: I will be 25 when I apply, I have done a Maths degree and went on to do a PhD. I have always wanted to study Medicine, but circumstances didn't allow me when I was a school leaver and didn't quite get the grades. So, here I am still determined to do what I always wanted to do. I was drawn to Aberdeen soley by their very helpful "admission" website ... they give alot of helpful info and surely must care about their students.

What about yourselves?

2. grey-heron

grey-heron New Member

Hi Maria,

I'm also planning to apply to Aberdeen. Still deciding on my other choices (though I think at least 3 from the 4 will be in Scotland), but Aberdeen is currently my favourite.

I have two degrees - Physics and Computer Science, and I've been working for the last 12 years as a software developer. I'm 36, so I feel a bit aged! Always wanted to go into Medicine, but never really had the confidence in myself when I was younger to believe I could do it. Thought I'd missed my chance, but came to realize that it's still possible.

As for why Aberdeen, like you I had a great impression from their website. I love the idea of their rural/remote options. I wanted to be in a city that I can escape from easily and go hiking, spend time in the outdoors. After 12 years in The Netherlands, which is very built up and also very flat, I'm really crazy some real nature! Also, my sister lives in Shetland, so we'd be a lot closer to each other!

Getting pretty nervous, especially after reading around on these forums a bit. Lots of people seem to have far more voluntary/work experience than I do. Been trying to think a bit about my personal statement, and it's really hard to know where to start, and what how to keep to the word limit!

3. Zedd

Zedd Member

My name is Zedd, I'm kind of a big deal ;)

26 years old and graduating from philosophy next summer, I will be applying to medicine at Aberdeen this October. I came to higher education quite late and always intended to apply to medicine as a graduate because I wanted to explore other areas before throwing myself into medicine. I don't fancy my chances of getting in if I am entirely honest because I don't have much health care experience or volunteering lined up but if you don't play the game you can't win the prize.

4. Aluter

Aluter New Member

I have just sent off my application and Aberdeen is on the list. UKCAT just 585 but thought I will give it a go this year and then try again next year if there is the need.

Have care assistant and support work experience so hoping this works out to my advantage. Choose universities that don't penalize low ukcat scores and I won't pay 9k/year on fees.

best of luck

5. Zedd

Zedd Member

What's your degree in and where from? If you don't mind saying :)

6. Aluter

Aluter New Member

Degree in MEng Chemical Engineering and living in Newcastle though from Portugal. Spoke to SAAS and I will still be classed as EU for fees purposes.

7. Kay21

Kay21 New Member

Hello,

I'm 21 and a recent graduate of Aberdeen University after completing a degree in Biomedical Sciences with Anatomy. The uni really gave me a chance when I first applied even though I didn't get anywhere near the grades for my course - they put it down to my personal statement and decided to give me a shot. I've always wanted to Medicine but never had the grades so I'm hoping now I can be considered! :) Also having had lectures from some of the staff that lecture the medical students, I would really like to return. I was also around the medical school a lot having my lectures and anatomy classes there and it has a lot of resources.

I'm a little worried though as I have just done my UKCAT a few days ago and I got 597.5 average but having looked on aberdeens admissions web page they said they offered places to people in the range of 2280-3180 for 2012 entry... fingers crossed!

8. Zedd

Zedd Member

[nosey]So did you get a 2.1 or a 1st in your degree?[/nosey] I don't think they have a cutoff for the UKCAT, and it's only 8% of your total score so I think any shortfall could be made up with a good statement, reference, and interview.

9. Kay21

Kay21 New Member

I got 2:1. No I don't think they do have a cut-off either which I'm really counting on at the moment. Just need to get everything else up to scratch! How is everyone getting on with PS writing?

10. Zedd

Zedd Member

Mine took around a month of occasional fiddling, most of which was cutting out things that wouldn't contribute or, worse, make my interview quite difficult. I completed it after I did some shadowing and that was around 2-3 weeks ago now. I managed to get a reference sorted quickly and so I sent away my application a few weeks ago now.

11. andyleung

andyleung New Member

Hi. I am a final yr student at imperial biochem. ukcat 730. just sent off my app this weekend! best of luck to us all!

12. grey-heron

grey-heron New Member

Where else are you applying Andy?

Good luck to you too, isn't it a relief to at least have the applications sent in, so we can move to the next stage?

13. Aluter

Aluter New Member

Aberdeen is my only HOPE!

14. Maria87

Maria87 New Member

Has anyone heard anything apart from an acknowledgement?

Does anyone know when Aberdeen start sending interviews?

15. Zedd

Zedd Member

They have 7 interview dates which start from November I believe. I've no idea when they are specifically though! I think they'll give you roughly 4 weeks notice of the interview date...

16. HElliott

HElliott New Member

In final year of biomedical sciences (physiology) at Aberdeen. Applying here again mainly because it is a great medical school and because I am already settled and integrated with the university. Is the only undergraduate course I am applying to the rest are for graduate entry. Best of luck to everyone!

17. Zedd

Zedd Member

I'm a bit curious, what country are you domiciled in? And how do you intend to fund GEM if you're Scottish domiciled (or vice versa: fund the 5 year Scottish degree if you're English domiciled)?

18. HElliott

HElliott New Member

I am Scottish. With a combination of loans and savings from 4 years of work.

19. Maria87

Maria87 New Member

Anyone got an interview?

20. grey-heron

grey-heron New Member

Nope, not heard anything beyond the standard confirmation letter yet (from any of my unis). Now that the UKCAT results have been sent out, I hold my breath every time I get an email, even though I know it will take a while for them to process everything. Since Aberdeen take your personal statement into account went offering interviews, I guess they need a bit of time. Dundee only use UKCAT/academic qualifications for the interview selection, so I expect that I'll hear something from them first. I need to book some leave from work which I'll lose if I don't use, so I'm really hoping to hear something soon so that if I get an interview I can take advantage of that.