graduates at Edinburgh!

Discussion in 'Edinburgh Medical School' started by jitterbug, Sep 16, 2007.

1. jitterbug

jitterbug New Member

Hi there, I was just wondering if any of the graduates studying medicine at Edinburgh had to send any additional information to Edinburgh apart from what goes on the UCAS form?

Any help would be appreciated greatly!

Thanks

Jitterbug :)

2. hellybelly1

hellybelly1 New Member

You certainly have to send additional information as a graduate applicant. Hidden away on the medical school website is this:
    http://www.mvm.ed.ac.uk/studying/admissions/academic/graduate.htm

It's not very helpful on exactly what additional information they're after, though, and I imagine it differs according to what you've previously done. When I applied a couple of years ago, I sent a copy of my CV and a covering letter. My CV had a lot of relevant stuff on it that there was no obvious place for on the UCAS form. When I went for interview they had copies of both my UCAS form and my CV with them.

Good luck!

3. Meg01

Meg01 New Member

Well hello all,

Um, I sent a covering letter (obviously telling them how splendid they are, and how it was my first choice med school, I'd donate my body to anatomy and all that ;), then a wee paragraph about more detail on my MSc dissertation (which was relevant to med), then a reference from a consultant I did some shadowing with, and also the short ref from my biology tutor (as I was sitting highers at the time). CV's a good idea though, didn't think of that!

When i rang to ask, she also said I could send a list of published papers, so that was an unfortunate blank piece of paper, but I guess they didn't care too much!!

Good luck to you! :)

4. jitterbug

jitterbug New Member

Thank you so much! Did you send it directly to the medical school admissions or through UCAS? Sorry for all the questions! I think I will send a copy of my CV! Is it just Edinburgh that seems to ask for additional info as I have looked at other medical schools but as far as I'm aware its just Edinburgh asking for extra stuff...?

Thank you again!

Jitterbug :D

5. hellybelly1

hellybelly1 New Member

It went straight to the admissions office, but put your UCAS number on it so they can link it with your application.

6. jitterbug

jitterbug New Member

Meg01, see for your cover letter did you use it as a chance to put in extra info that you couldn't fit into your personal statement? I am trying to write my letter at the moment, and it feels like I am writing more for my personal statement!

Thanks
    Jitterbug :D

7. CatherineT

CatherineT New Member

hey there, i did history at Ed and would love to go back as a Grad - but hadn't considered it as an option as one of my choices- you know what they're looking for academically? Many thanks

8. aspirant doc

aspirant doc New Member

2:1 or above in any degree and SQA Highers in biology (or human biology) and chemistry, alothugh I'm not sure what they do for AS or A2, although it is crystal clear on their website. You don't need to have sat he Highers by the time you apply, they are happy to make conditonal offers, often grades B, B.

9. Meg01

Meg01 New Member

Jitterbug - I don't think i really added anything information, apart from details about my thesis and stuff that was directly relevant for my application at Edinburgh, such as having done work experience in local places, which i suppose is more detail than my PS ... but I didn't make it especially long!

Catherine T - Edinburgh are very open to all degree backgrounds. Do you have science A-levels/highers. What did you get in your degree? They will also interview mature and grad applicants, so you get the chance to sell yourself that way too. You could arrange a meeting/telephone call admissions, as they will give you a idea about what you need to do! Good luck!

10. CatherineT

CatherineT New Member

thanks guys, help much appreciated! is so darn complicated trying to work out what the best way to do everything is!

11. jitterbug

jitterbug New Member

I have another question...sorry! See for evidence of financial support what kind of thing would you send? I would hopefully be applying to SAAS for support but not sure what to do about sending info about it now?

Thanks

Jitterbug

12. Scole2k

Scole2k New Member

god only knows what information they want.... I can kinda understand why they want additional information (though I think that there is plenty on the UCAS form), but to provide financial proof that you can complete the course !!!!! its ludicrous!!!! … what possible information could be used as “proof” OK, I understand it’s a private organisation who needs to make money hence wants to admit those who are financially equipped to compete the course, but common …. I might as well provide them with a copy of my car’s mileage and MOT to prove that it will provide the service of getting me to the Uni (if I get in) I think that this is an impractical and not necessarily effective piece of Edinburgh’s admission process, especially as financial arrangements are made shortly before you start.

13. KKerr

KKerr New Member

I know - this does seem a bit odd, but they arent the only Uni that asks for this from their grads (aka Cambridge wants evidence that you have 50K to cover the costs of 4 yrs study!!). At Edin they dont actually need PROOF - what they want to see is that you 1) are aware of how much it will cost to study, 2) have looked into which grants etc that you will be eligible for (i.e. do you qualify for SAAS loans, etc) and 3) that you have though about contingent funding (i.e. applying for student loans from a bank or Salli Mae, etc) Also - if you have a spouse that will foot the bill - that is good to include!! You dont have to prove, pound for pound, that you have the finances sorted, but rather that you have a very realistic expectation of what the costs will be and at least a PLAN of how you are going to meet those costs.

14. Scole2k

Scole2k New Member

Cheers KKer….thanks for clearing that up…I’m glad that’s the case and I don’t have to start showing people my bank statements!!!! But I agree with your last post that you need to be mature enough to appreciate the full costs of the course (including those that are hidden) especially if you’re a mature graduate like me!!! :)

15. asklepios

asklepios New Member

I sent them a cover letter with my CV, and today I received a notification that my application was unsuccessful. I was really hoping to have a chance at Edinburgh. I've now been rejected by half my choices and I'm freaking out about "Plan B". I was happy to hear about the UKCAT chucking out the Abstract Reasoning portion, not simply b/c I did rather poorly on it, but it seemed out of order with my grades and scores on the other sections. Good luck to everyone else out there waiting to hear from Edinburgh...

16. Vicki_G

Vicki_G New Member

Hi, just checked UCAS Track, and found out that I have also been 'unsuccessful'. Not too surprised by that. Good luck everyone else.

17. Scole2k

Scole2k New Member

Sorry to hear you’ve been unsuccessful with Edinburgh Vicki_G…best of luck with your other institutions. Hey… I may see you at Glasgow on the 16th!

Not heard anything from Edinburgh as yet but expecting a straight rejection ..........any other grads heard anything yet?

18. Moggsy

Moggsy New Member

Hi,

I'm a grad applying for the six year course. I've not heard anything as of yet (apart from an email a few weeks ago asking for my GCSE grades). I'm getting increasingly worried as they are only interviewing on Wednesdays from 23rd Jan- 13 Feb, and it seems late in the day to be getting invites for those interview dates!

19. Meg01

Meg01 New Member

Hi Moggsy!

I can tell that i only had less than 2 weeks notice for my interview, it was my last interview I had ... but I heard back 1 day later. So after a long wait they do get things moving eventually! I think they tend to reject a number of grads in dec/jan and then start inviting for interviews, so fingers crossed you are in that group! Did you send xtra info like it says to?

Good luck! I think my interview was feb twenty something (2006)!

20. Moggsy

Moggsy New Member

Less than two weeks notice for interview gives me some hope then!

As regards to extra info I sent them a covering letter outlining why I liked the course and the city, a copy of my C.V, and an essay I'd written on Patient Autonomy (as part of the 'Law & Medicine' Module I'm doing as part of my law degree).

The waiting is killing me, and I have my heart set on Edinburgh so i'm keeping all fingers/toes crossed that I manage to get an interview!

Are any other grads applying for the six year course?