Graduate Interviews

Discussion in 'Edinburgh Medical School' started by doctors-do-it-better, Jan 11, 2009.

1. doctors-do-it-better

Yo

Okay just a quick question for those lucky grads who have been interviewed and successful. What are the interviews for graduates at Edinburgh actually like? I know the format is 3 mini interviews concentrating on communication skills, ethics and career exploration but what would this actually involve/mean?

Any advice offered would be much appreciated :D Cheers.

Ps Any other grads out there got an interview??

2. AndrewD

AndrewD New Member

Have they gotten back to grads yet? I keep checking Euclid about 4 times a day.

3. doctors-do-it-better

Yeah Andrew I found out last wednesday that I have an interview at Edinburgh on the 4th of Feb. One of my other mates found out on the same day that they got rejected. But that's all I know of at the minute, I have a fair few number of mates still waiting to hear from edin though. Well done on your Barts Interview btw!

The interview at Edin sounds a bit weird hence why I am asking for advice from any current edinburgh medical students who are grads as to what to expect at the interview.

4. AndrewD

AndrewD New Member

Thanks, well done on your Edinburgh interview! I just want to hear back now!

5. LumiGrrl

LumiGrrl New Member

Hi there,

I'm a mature first year medic. Unfortunately I don't have a lot of info on the interview experience - I was considered on the basis of my recent A levels - but will talk to the other mature 1st years on Mon and ask them to check out this thread next week. Congrats on the interview! :)

6. bruntsfield

bruntsfield New Member

I also have an interview on the fourth. Any advice would be amazing? qwhat time is yours? maybe see you there!

7. doctors-do-it-better

Yo Bruntsfield.

My interview is at 3 on the 4th. Have you heard anything from anyone regarding what an interview at Edinburgh is like? I know we are asked to read something and are asked questions about it but do you anything else?

What time is your interview at??

Come on grad students......enlighten me lol.

D

8. bruntsfield

bruntsfield New Member

yo. mine is at 3.30 but have to be there at three. so are you getting there at 2.30 then for the preparation part of it?

what i've heard is there is an actor for the communication section, and they basically will be looking to see how we talk, keep eye contact and communicate empathy, sympathy, etc. they provide us with an ethical dilemma that we have to discuss through with the interviewers - a good website on medical ethics is the one on wikipedia. Career exploration will be a normal interview - e.g. why medicine, why edinburgh, what have you learnt from work experience, etc.

what's your name? maybe see you there.
    if you find anything else, let us know? you got any other interviews?

come on pal, we can do this one! lol.

steve

9. doctors-do-it-better

Hey. Yeah I have been told to be at my interview for 2:40 to read the thing that they give us. Cheers for that, it all sounds so simple doesn't it but hey wont be like that on the day? Cheers for the heads up on medical ethics.

I assume the normal questions of why medicine and why here etc etc will appear and I am still waiting ENDLESSLY back from some uni's. I wish Glasgow would hurry up and either tell me I have an interview or reject me :| Just so I would know. You got anymore interviews? Where else did you apply to?

If I hear anything else I will let you know.

Exactly, it's an interview.....that's the attitude to have it's do-able. And yeah I might see you there cos al be walking out as you head in probably lol. Oh my name is Darren btw.

10. bruntsfield

bruntsfield New Member

alright mate,

It's well annoying not hearing anything! Hope Glasgow replies soon.

have applied to manchester which i've got an interview for in march, but newcastle and barts have both rejected me. I think it was a bit optimistic applying for the GEP 4 year courses.

maybe see you there! be in touch with anything you find out anything else though and vice versa.

11. bruntsfield

bruntsfield New Member

hey man,
    how did your interview go? do you know when we are likely to be hearing back from them?

12. cupoftea

cupoftea New Member

Does anone know what proportion of the intake is for Grads?

13. aspirant doc

aspirant doc New Member

Not nearly enough grads in the year - 10 to 15 max? ....and not nearly enough people in their 30s, as opposed to fresh grads....

14. bruntsfield

bruntsfield New Member

have any other grads out there with interviews heard back yet?

15. CZephyr

CZephyr New Member

I know some universities impose quota for graduate students. Does Edinburgh do the same?

16. Snowflake

Snowflake New Member

Hey guys!

I'm really excited at the moment - I've just received an interview at Edinburgh (yep, applying as a graduate here~ I'm in my final year at uni)!

Could someone tell me how they found the interview experience please? Also, any tips for nervous but excited interviewees like me? =D I'd appreciate any help~! Thanks!

17. grey-heron

grey-heron New Member

Congratulations! I'm also a graduate, but they confirmed that as I'm not living in the UK, I won't get interviewed. No idea what the Edinburgh interviews are like, but if it's anything like my experience at Dundee it will be over before you know it, it really seemed to fly by. Good luck!

18. Snowflake

Snowflake New Member

Thanks! Awesome to meet another graduate applicant. =D
    Ah I see, I'm sure it will fly by.
    Good luck! =]

19. Pea

Pea New Member

Hey snowflake,
    I have an interview for Edinburgh as well..quite nervous as not entirely sure what to expect!
    When is yours? Lots of luck!

20. Pea

Pea New Member

Also, do you know how many graduates they accepted on the course last year?