1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graduate GCSEs

Discussion in 'Cardiff Medical School' started by Giggy, Jun 7, 2010.

1. Giggy

Giggy New Member

Dec 15, 2007
    Hi guys, I'm hoping to apply for the 5 year course at Cardiff. I am in the 2nd year of a Medical Biochemistry degree at Leicester and hoping to achieve at least a 2:1. I just want to confirm I am elligible to apply though.

As an undergrad applicant I knew not to apply to Cardiff as I didn't have the GCSE grades, they ask for at least 9 at grade B and I only had 7. I did a lot better when I got to A-level, possibly because the college I went to offered me help and extra exam time because of my dyspraxia whereas my secondary school hadn't offered this. I was also only diagnosed with having dyslexia last year but that's another story. I know this doesn't count as extenuating circumstances for the GCSE results so decided my best bet was to prove I was up to the academic requirements of the course by doing a science degree.

My question is: do these GCSE requirements still stand if i apply as a graduate? The entry requirements are listed as being the above still for the 5 year course but it has a section underneath where it says graduate applicants have to offer B is Maths and either English Language or Welsh Language. I got an A in both maths and english so does this mean that (degree permitting) I'm now elligible to apply and have a chance of an offer?

Thanks in advance.
  2. bix

bix New Member

Jun 27, 2009
    I'm a mature student at Cardiff (not a graduate) and my GCSE grades are much, much lower than the requirements.

So, I'd tentatively say that you'd meet the academic criteria. Check with admissions to be sure.

Good luck.