Graduate entry medicine

Discussion in 'Oxford Medical School' started by In N Out, May 28, 2011.

1. In N Out

In N Out New Member

Hi everybody, Well as far as I know the requirement is a 2.i degree and a possible 700+ ukcat would be ideal. However does any1 know what proportion of grad applicants apply with a 2.i and what proportion with a 1st? As i would have thought they wus prefer to offer places to those with Firsts. Also how many grad applicant Oxford take on per year? And I was under the impression that a-level grades weren't taken into account but i have recently been told otherwise.
    The reason I ask is because my lecturers reckon no one from my university would stand a chance at getting into oxford even with a 2.i.

So if any1 could help? :D

2. scrubs52

scrubs52 New Member

I'm a current GE student at Oxford at you don't need a 1st. Lots of people got in with a 2.i.

3. In N Out

In N Out New Member

hey thnks for your reply.... can ask alil about ur background? did they look at ur a-levels/ gcse results too?

4. CZephyr

CZephyr New Member

"We accept that some excellent students are "late developers", and so we will not insist on excellent A-levels or an outstanding first degree result (though we would normally expect two science A-levels and a 2:i or better, or a GPA above 3.5)"
    Oxford Graduate-Entry Prospectus: 12 (Online prospectus)

5. In N Out

In N Out New Member

yes I saw this on the website but ofcourse this does not indicate how many applicant wid a 2.i actually make it to offers

6. CZephyr

CZephyr New Member

:)

I am fairly certain that usually, approximately 1/3 of the class graduated with a 2.i. But this needs serious verification.

7. In N Out

In N Out New Member

Thanks, I am contemplating applying but atm have no support. so have been trying to get in touch wid someone who is on the GEP course at oxford. Are u on the course?

8. CZephyr

CZephyr New Member

:) I am currently an undergrad student at Oxford - but not on the GEP course. Come to our open day if you live close by!

9. In N Out

In N Out New Member

I don't live close by but I am planning to go the open day. what year of study are you in?

10. CZephyr

CZephyr New Member

It might be a little tenuous if I label myself as a "first year" so let's stick with a "soon to be first year". :p October. Not too far away now!!

I joined the forum just to see if medicine may be something I want to look into later on. (Currently standing at the fork where both medical research and clinical medicine appear to be equally appealing). *waiting to be inspired*
    Are you planning to apply for GEP programs this coming cycle?

11. In N Out

In N Out New Member

I'm sure u'll enjoy freshers n good luck with ur start.... I'm hoping to apply in this cycle on the GEP course. I will be starting my final year in my current degree this october.

So far both clinical n research have been intersting and I have enjoyed both. If I had to pick personally, I would go with clinical. You have alot of time though to go either way. I think the main thing is that you have done so well and come so far.

My tutors have already said they don't think anyone from our university would be able to get into oxford medical school. And laughed at the idea that a student before me had even attempted it. so I am worried if I apply I will not have the backing of my tutors, even though I am predicted a 2.i. most of the lecturers I have taught at cambridge, UCL, Queens Imperial etc in their previous jobs. I think they look down at the students here.

12. tatowen

tatowen New Member

Just get your degree nailed, get some really good work experience and try and develop a relationship with a clinician who can help you with your application.

Oxbridge is not the end of the world. A med school is a med school, they are all pretty good and anyway, your experience will be very much shaped by the individual (and random) doctors who care to teach you when you get into hospitals for your firms. Location is most important in terms of where you fancy living for 4 years......

13. In N Out

In N Out New Member

Thanks tatowen, I tend to self doubt alot, espeically if the people around me are so negative. my priority is definitely to get into a med school. going to oxford is just a 2ndary dream, maybe/ maybe not, realistic i don't know.

14. CZephyr

CZephyr New Member

I agree - Oxford or not, a medical school is a medical school!! Come to the open day, see how you like the program and the university :) If you do, then give it a go! The entry requirements specify a predicted minimum of 2.i which you have under your belt. Where you gained that from is irrelevant from the way I see it. There are so many other ways to show academic potential (UKCAT, etc.). But being an academically able individual will not necessarily make someone a good doctor. Work/volunteering experience, your character are equally important, if not more. The admissions board are going to view you as a whole person, not just a set of grades on some pieces of paper. Believe in yourself! x

15. In N Out

In N Out New Member

Thanks for the thumbs up CZephyr, I have my ukcat in two days time so will see how that goesGreatly appreciate all your support n time u taken to answer my posts! :)
    will let you know how that goes

16. In N Out

In N Out New Member

so I hve sat my ykcat n got a very dissappointing 620 n i dont noe where to go from here.

17. CZephyr

CZephyr New Member

Oh dear!!! Well personally, I don't think 620 is too disastrous! I think the key is to apply to schools that don't place a whole lot of emphasis on the UKCAT. I wouldn't necessarily steer away from GEP, but I would definitely consider applying to a few 5 year degrees just to be safe! As for Oxford - I think they do have a cut off score:
    "In 2007 (when there were three sub-tests), we did not
    interview any candidates who scored below 1950 in total (again,
    by chance, an average of 650); and we interviewed everyone
    with a total score above 2280 (760 per section). The ļ¬gures
    for 2008 and 2009 were broadly similar."
    Have you thought about the BMAT? Don't despair!

18. In N Out

In N Out New Member

i maybe wrong but i thought that applying to the 5-year course they will look at my a-levels and not my degree. Since I dont have the best a-levels i hadn't looked into it further. thanks for your suggestions..im looking into the bmat too.

19. django

django Member

Hey guys, I'm looking at Oxford GEP too. Do you know what kind of UKCAT score will begin to be good enough for them? A guaranteed-ish interview at 760 sounds great but that is also very high! Best get practising, my test is at the end of september :)

20. CZephyr

CZephyr New Member

What about the GAMSAT? And I am fairly certain they look at your A Levels only if your degree is non - biological. That won't be an issue because you have a 2.i in biomedical sciences! Oxford's GEP on the other hand requires a good A levels track record, especially an A from your chemistry A levels. Someone contradict me if I am wrong!!