Graduate-entry 2012

Discussion in 'Oxford Medical School' started by django, Sep 1, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. django

django Member

Heya,
    I thought I would start this thread, seeing as it would probably pop up at some point. Maybe we can share stats and offer encouragement?

To kick off: I have a First class degree in Biology (but BCCC at A-level, eek). Two weeks of shadowing in a mental health hospital, one week shadowing a neurosurgeon, one week in a GP surgery. I've volunteered at a hospice for 9 months. I was part of my university's Biology society board (health and safety officer).

I've not yet done the UKCAT, am preparing at the moment and have it booked for September 31st.

My personal statement is coming along nicely, I think. Not finished yet though. And hopefully my reference will be really good as I worked well and closely with my referee.

Have I forgotten anything?

What is everyone else applying with? Would be great to share information.

And, good luck to all!

Django

:)

2. DrL

DrL New Member

Hi,

I am applying to Oxford graduate entry too. I have a first class degree in chemistry (and Django, I also have average a-levels, BBD). Also have PhD and an MSc in clinical biochemistry. I work in an NHS pathology lab at the moment and have done for about 3 years. I have sat in on a few clinics, visited the wards and observed a post-mortem examination. I have done loads of stuff volunteering for science events with kids etc. I have applied for St. John Ambulance to improve my 'caring role' experience but not sure if that is going to be sorted by the time applications are due in.

Done UKCAT - 692.5.

Tried to start my personal statement but finding it really difficult, Im rubbish at creative writing, it just sounds dull!

I think thats it....

Good luck everybody!

xx

3. django

django Member

Wow, that's a fair bit of work experience! And qualifications too! That definitely shows that you can succeed academically. How did you find the UKCAT? What did you use to prepare? I'm using the 600Q book, and the AR section is ridiculous for most of the questions!

As for PS, just keep on working at it. Come back to it every other day whilst reading prospectuses etc and hopefully it'll come together :)

4. DrL

DrL New Member

I used the 600 book and another called 'how to master the UKCAT and BMAT' or something like that. The verbal reasoning was my downfall. The other sections were OK, AR wasn't as bad as the books, much less complicated! Hate to repeat what all the UKCAT threads say but just keep practising. I did get a couple of GCSE maths practice books as well. Where else are you applying?

5. lemontea

lemontea New Member

Hi~

I might be applying to Oxford...havent really decided yet.

I am predicted a First in my degree in biomedical science. BUT BCC at A levels :(

UKCAT: 752.5

Work experience:
    - 2 months volunteering in a physiotherapy unit at a community hospital in singapore
    - one week shadowing of an audiologist
    -8 months volunteering at A&E another hospital
    - Observed a minor surgery at a ENT clinic

Future work experience plan:
    - more shadowing in early october~

Others:
    Secretary of university Oxfam society

im a little worried about my work experience....what do u guys think of them? i kind of think they are not enough...

still thinking abt where exactly to apply as well....

6. In N Out

In N Out New Member

in my opinion i think you have good wrk experience the main thing they look at is wot u gained from the xperience.

7. django

django Member

Hi DrL, I'm considering King's, Imperial, Southampton, BSMS (5year). I know Soton looks odd next to this academic bunch but I was advised by a doctor that I shadowed (who was an admissions officer) that I was a good candidate for Soton.

I will crack on with the 600Q book. QR is the only thing troubling me now, getting from the Q to how best to solve it in 30s is a bit tricky for my rusty maths brain right now! Three years studying biology with sod all maths has not helped. Softly softly...

8. incognito

incognito New Member

Hi guys

I am planning to apply for GEP Medicine 2013 entry
    Im about to start my second year Physiology & Pharmacology
    I would really like to know if volunteering at st johns ambulance is seen as relevant work experience?

9. django

django Member

I would definitely imagine so, Incognito. In fact, some places will view volunteering above shadowing, as you really get involved as opposed to simply observing. Not that shadowing is not great experience. So, I reckon that's a yes. But, try to get some work experience shadowing doctors, that's what you aim to be in a few years! You will want to be able to demonstrate that you know what being a doctor entails, and that might be hard if you have never seen one at work. Good luck getting experience, send as many letters as you can write and you will get a response eventually.

10. django

django Member

Hey lemontea, you have pretty good stats there. Some serious competition! Have you chosen which colleges you will apply to, yet?

11. incognito

incognito New Member

Thank you for the advice django.

12. django

django Member

No worries. Hope it helps.

13. lemontea

lemontea New Member

Hey django, thanks~ really hope i can at least get an interview. I have no idea which college to choose, in fact i might just submit an open application....

how abt you? do you have any college you might want to apply to?

14. django

django Member

I'm not decided yet, will do a little research after my UKCAT is done (this Wednesday!). It's probably worth having a look on the college websites to see what differentiates them, there might be something about one college that would be perfect you but you'll never know unless you look.

Did you know Oxford have a 'four interview' process?

15. lemontea

lemontea New Member

"four interview" process? whats that!? I think i really need to do more research..

16. lemontea

lemontea New Member

and good luck for your UKCAT as well :)

17. django

django Member

Well, if called for interview you will be subjected to four separate interviews! Two on day one, then a night in halls, then two more on day two. Daunting or what?

18. lemontea

lemontea New Member

that's....scary indeed!

19. rennstimpy

rennstimpy New Member

Hi guys - I'm pretty retarded with respect to this whole site - I'm a newmediamed virgin so be gentle....I'm applying this year to hopefully go back to uni 2012...scary stuff! Best of luck everyone!

20. django

django Member

The UKCAT is done!

VR: 660 (bugger)
    QR: 740
    AR: 770
    DA: 810

>740

Phew. This should be good enough for Oxford, in terms of UKCAT alone, right?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.