1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graduate applicants 2012

Discussion in 'Aberdeen Medical School' started by gh70, Sep 6, 2011.

1. gh70

gh70 New Member

Hi all,
    was wondering if there are any grads applying for entry in 2012? Im 27 and going into 4th yr Microbiology (predicted 1st) but I have poor highers, and hoping that this isnt going to pull my academic score down too much!
    Does anyone know what empahsis is placed on school qualifications if applying as a grad to aberdeen?
    My UKCAT was 2610 so am very happy to have that under my belt and it may not be the best, but the spread of UKCAT at aberdeen seems to be quite large.
    anyway good luck to all!

2. Kensei

Kensei New Member

Hi,

Aberdeen doesn't seem to care that much about your school grades as long as your first degree is relevant and you end up with at least 2.1 (Honours)

The only real requirement (as far as I'm aware) relates to chemistry:
    (either)
    B grade at Scottish Higher
    (or)
    A grade at GCE A-level

If your chemistry background is lacking in any way they *might* consider signing you up for summer school programme, however this is not something I'd count on when applying - naturally they prefer applicants who don't require such special measures.

#2 Kensei, Sep 7, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2011
  3. gh70

gh70 New Member

Thanks Kensei
    I have Chemistry at Higher grade C, from 2001, but I sat pure chemistry (equivalent to advanced higher) in my degree - achieved an A and have a letter from the head of the chemisrty dept stating content of course etc..
    My degree is very "medical based" and have also studied biochem, anatomy, genetics, pathology and microbiology.
    I really want to go to Aberdeen or St Andrews, starting to get nervous now lol and UCAS hasnt even opened yet!

4. Jane22

Jane22 New Member

I'd say your best bet is to contact medical school admissions see if they would accept your equivalence Chemistry... Because I was in a very similar similar as you, had D in my A-level chemistry but an equivalence of A grade in A-level Chemistry. I sent them a letter from the university I took it but they didn't accept it because they said they don't accept Chemistry that is not part of your 1st degree/A-level/Highers. Also because my biomedical Sciences degree didn't have enough chemistry in it .. after interview they gave me a conditional offer & did 10 week summer school chemistry course & had to get above CAS 18 for my offer to become unconditional. Fortunately I got CAS 20 & I will be going Aberdeen next week :)

Good luck & let me know if you need more info. PS. I heard usually 1/3 of the course are graduates so don't worry.

5. Kensei

Kensei New Member

^ what Jane said.

I wouldn't agree with the 'usually' part though - we only have around 20 grads in our year and it definitely wasn't a rule in the past. Current 2nd/3rd years may be more grad-saturated, but the school doesn't have a grad intake quota of 1/3 as far as I'm aware.

6. gh70

gh70 New Member

Who knows - as soon as I press send on the UCAS form its out of my hands. At the open day this year a few of the student guides did happen to mention that there was a high intake of graduates last year into first year - this may just have been a lucky year for golden oldies though~!

7. Claire2210

Claire2210 New Member

Hi gh70,

I'm a graduate who is applying to Aberdeen this year. I've completed my degree in Anatomy and like you, my highers aren't particularly great. However, I do have a B in Higher Chemistry. I went to the open day and was told by the admissions staff that as long as you have a B in Higher Chemistry, or the equivalent gained throughout your degree, then you will be considered. They may ask for additional info on any Chemistry you've studied throughout your degree since you have a C at Higher.
    Hope this helps and good luck!

8. CDN

CDN New Member

Have any grad applicants been invited to interview yet? I know they interview til the end of March but I was just curious.

9. Darren1994

Darren1994 New Member

I'm a school leaver but just thought I'd put you at ease. I have yet to hear word with regards to an interview so yeah, their just taking their time.

10. CDN

CDN New Member

Thanks, Darren. I've seen direction signs up for med interviews and it drives me nuts knowing I haven't gotten an invite yet (or a rejection, for that matter)! I'm doing grad studies here which is how I know they're going on.

I know a lot of med students here already; one had their interview in mid-late March but only received the invite with two weeks' notice. They post the invites, too, which always leaves me ill at ease because I don't trust Royal Mail in the slightest!

Anyone else still waiting to hear, school leaver or otherwise? The Abdn board is always super quiet.

11. Darren1994

Darren1994 New Member

That's no problem. I don't mean to come across as cocky here btw as I don't even know if I'll be accepted into any medical school if any at all (already been rejected by two) but if I'm fortunate enough to get a choice, what's Aberdeen like for nightlife. I live just outside Glasgow so i've never been for a night out there?

12. CDN

CDN New Member

Though I haven't been out in months since my PhD consumes my life, I can say with certainty that Abdn's nightlife is pretty great. And a night out with medics can get a bit insane.

There's loads of pubs in the city (Under the Hammer should get a special mention, as should 99 Cocktail Bar, and maybe Siberia Vodka Bar) but nightclubs abound, too. Particularly popular are Espionage, Tiger Tiger, Pearl, Liquid (which has shut for refurbishing but will probably open again in a few months' time, under a new name, Magma), and others I forget. Belmont Street is basically full of bars and pubs, and a few restaurants too; come summer months, the back patios of these are awesome to hang out on.

The first major event of a new academic year here is Beerienteering; basically, you form a team of other medics and dress up (see if you can google some photos because the effort is amazing), then do a city-wide pubcrawl (something like 20 pubs in total).

I'm not sure how it compares to Glasgow, but it's pretty good! Best of luck - hope you hear back for an interview soon. :)

13. Darren1994

Darren1994 New Member

Sounds awesome. Cheers for the information, sounds like a great place to go. Let us know when you hear back from them and I'll post here if I here anything as well.

14. CDN

CDN New Member

Anyone still waiting to hear back from Abdn? ...is this thing on?

15. gh70

gh70 New Member

I'm into Aberdeen!!!!!!!!!!! Conditional this morning

16. med_app

med_app New Member

Congratulations are there many people who have heard???

I'm still waiting and hoping

17. nicolarj

nicolarj New Member

Hi!
    I received a conditional offer yesterday too! really excited to have an offer!
    Will you be accepting aberdeen?

18. hashstranger

hashstranger New Member

Hi I'm starting in september, Congratulations to everyone who got in..
    Abit nervous, Anyone else from London or England going far away from home?

19. cool954

cool954 New Member

Dear Graduate applicants - who have been successful!,

To start with - many congratulations guys!

I just completed my 1st year BioMedical Sciences at Northumbria University. Since my AL grades were not as expected (mainly due to girl-friend problems during my A2 - how stupid I have been!) I managed to produce only BBC and hence Northumbria. But I must say I really like the teaching, support we get, facilties and the course here. I think I have done all my assessments really well this year and hope to complete my degree with a 1st.

Do you have any advice for someone like me to increase my chances of getting into a GEP or a 5-year course in Medicine. I already have several volunteering jobs in a charity and an old people's home, shadowing in a hospital, and next month I do a another shadowing in another hospital, and trying to get some volunteering workin local hospice currently.

Those who have been successful, please tell me I am sure this will be useful for others like me):

1. Did you apply for GEP - why?
    2. Did you get in to 5-year course - why?
    3. what is an acceptable UKCAT? and what did you get?
    4. What Medical schools you got offers from?
    5. Are you from an older (more established) university where you did your first degree, or a newer university like mine? Does it matter?
    6. Could you please name which universities you got offers from?
    7. What volunteerung, shadowung and other things you did to increase your chances?
    8. Any other advice you can give me so that I can stary preparing fronm now on before I apply in October 2013.

I know its a lot of questions. But pleease help.

Thank you.

20. Kensei

Kensei New Member

Hi there,

Let's run through those quickly, shall we?
    1 & 2 - no and yes. I reckoned I have better chances of getting into a 5-year degree as a grad so I dismissed the GEP completely. You save a year if you do it, but I wasn't in a particular rush at the time (more importantly for me - Aberdeen doesn't do GEP and I was keen to stay here)
    3 - there's no such thing as an 'acceptable UKCAT'. It varies from med school to med school. Aberdeen did not put much emphasis on UKCAT when I applied 5 years ago - and I don't think this changed much. Even if your score is not in the high 700's, you still have a chance of getting in (unless your med school sets a bar at, say, 750, and automatically disqualifies everyone below this mark). Mine was pretty average (as in - statistically average) and that didn't stop me.
    4 - I applied to Scottish med schools only - (Abdn, Edi, St Andrews, and possibly Stirling? it was a long time ago). 1 offer, but fortunately it was my first choice anyway.
    5 - I did my BSc in Aberdeen, but I don't think they gave me 'extra points' for that. Actually, I'm pretty certain that would be against the rules. In theory, they should only use the class of your degree in awarding points to grads. Uni eliteness should not matter.
    6 - didn't I answer that in no. 4 already? ;>
    7 - 4 months of nursing home care assistant job, 3 years of HCA work for NHS and city council, 1 year of volunteering at a neuro-recovery unit. No shadowing what-so-ever. At some point, I also did an intermediate life support course to boost my CV a bit.
    8 - No, I think you've covered all the bases :) I can't think of anything else I would add that would make a difference between going away with nothing and getting an offer... Make sure you don't neglect the non-medical side of life, though. Many med schools look down on applicants who don't have a social life or those who don't have the capacity to just relax when life provides you with an opprotunity. Interesting hobbies, sport involvement and other interests always add to an application.

I hope this answers some of your questions
    Kensei