1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Graduate Applicants 2011

Discussion in 'Queens University Belfast Medical School' started by Dr Foreman, Oct 4, 2010.

1. Dr Foreman

Dr Foreman New Member

Is anyone that is grad applying to Queens Belfast for 2011 entry?

2. Medic4

Medic4 New Member

I am applying for to Queens as a grad, wassup ?

3. Dr Foreman

Dr Foreman New Member

I read that Queens Interview all grads that meet the entry requirements (2.1. and 3B's at A-level with some science experiencein there) will get an interview. Is that true?

How many grads do they usually take at Queens?

4. TommyR

TommyR New Member

This is exciting! I to am potential grad applicant for 2011 entry but am slightly undecided....

Anyone know if they discriminate against english applicants??

Would definitely like to know how many grads they take as well, really going to be playing the odds game this year, need to maximise my chances!

Tom

Tom

5. TommyR

TommyR New Member

Tom Tom!

6. TommyR

TommyR New Member

That was a mistake.

7. Jenny22

Jenny22 New Member

Count me in :)

8. gradzmum

gradzmum New Member

Hi - Queens looks very favourably on graduate applicants, providing they have a 2:1 and 3 B's at A2. All the info os on their website
    This year they admitted over 40 graduates.

9. Dr Foreman

Dr Foreman New Member

^Thanks. Is the competition pretty high for grads though?

10. gradzmum

gradzmum New Member

Hi - Queen's University is very keen on graduate applicants for a variety of reasons - they are mature, they have life experiences, they have been through the university system once before and have a 'proven' track record.

Queens are also encouraging of graduates and applicants from outside Northern Ireland.

In terms of competition - if you fulfill the entry criteria, you have a robust personal statement, and have done the UKCAT, you have a really good chance of being offered an interview.

Hope that helps

11. Dr Foreman

Dr Foreman New Member

Thanks gradzmum. I feel with a poor UKCAT score, that Queens may be my only chance. Do you also know when they begin to interview graduates?

12. gradzmum

gradzmum New Member

Hi - Last year the interviews were held in December and March.

I don't think they are too concerned about the UKCAT.

They are very interested in communication skills, empathy, team playing and general people skills. of course the academic requirements have to be met, but Queens are saying that it will provide the population it serves with doctors who can communicate effectively as well as being highly skilled clinicians.

When you are invited for interview, try to give yourself some time to look around the city - it is lovely and has great shops and nightlife.

You go for it Dr Foreman.

Gradzmum

13. Dr Foreman

Dr Foreman New Member

^ Thanks gradzmum, I take it your a student a Queens? First year? If so I'd really love to hear about your experiences at the university and of the course as a whole.

Also, I got an e-mail saying 15th/16th December and in Febrauray that they interview. Do you know when they send interview letters out?

14. gradzmum

gradzmum New Member

The course at Queens seems to have a really practical approach - for instance, all the new med students and dental students (360) were given training to enable them to be certified first aiders. This was started in the freshers week and continued until all the cohort were certified. It makes absolute sense to skill up everyone who is going to be in a clinical setting to be able to respond appropriatly to any medical emergancy.

Also, the first years meds are attached to GP practices very early on and are allocated a patient with a long term condiiton, to follow their progress and to get to know them so the impact of illness on the individual becomes 'real'.

In terms of interview dates (if I remember rightly) the dates are given by email and you are asked to indicate your intention to attend, and then the letter follows.

Are you applying this year ??

In 2012 Queens will interview both school leavers and graduates - at the moment all graduates are interviewed and only a small number of school leavers.

hope that helps

15. Dr Foreman

Dr Foreman New Member

^Hey Gradzmum, I am indeed applying to Queens this year and obviously hoping for an offer from them and from what I hear the city and the course sound really good. I was just wandering when they would send the e-mails to notify about interview, just so I know when to expect it. I'd assume (given were in novermber) it has to be soon, like next week or the week after? And seeing as the interview all grads the chances of grads getting and offer are high no? 1 in 2 may'be? Sorry about all the questions, but Queens sounds really good.

16. Jabber

Jabber New Member

Multi mini interviews

I was hoping fellow medics could help the new applicants regarding the Multi mini interviews. Basically I wanted to know how many stations there are and what each station focuses on?

Thanks in advance

17. gradzmum

gradzmum New Member

Hi - providing you meet the academic requirements, (last year it was 2:1 degree or higher, 3 A2's at BBB for first time sitting and some requirements around GCSE's plus a robust personal statement, a good reference and UKCAT - look on qub site to check) you were in with a great chance of an interview.

The interviews were mulit mini in style - which is soooo much better than having just 12 minutes to convince a jaded panel that you are a great candidate for medicine. All interviewees had to sign a confidentiality document to ensure equallity of opportunity for all candidates

But don't worry - the interview process is all about giving you a chance to demonstrate your communication skills, your listening skills, team playing and everything else that will make you a good doctor. QUB will give you the skills to be a sound clinician but the people skills will come from you. Think of the worst doc you have ever met and most likely he/she are like that because they can't communicate with either patients or colleagues.
    Then think of the best doc you have ever met and they (in general) are really grounded, are sensitive to the needs of others, and are great at communication on all levels.

The letter will come when you have indicated which date suits you so not long now.

keep me posted on progress - all encouragement and the very best of luck

18. david1104

david1104 New Member

i actually think theres over 50 grads in the class...i thought one of the lecturers said there was 56 grads in the class at freshers week. Its a great uni, great course and they like graduates so i do apply. And to the guy who asked (quite the silly) question about whether they discriminate against English applicants...of course not. Theres people from ireland, england, scotland, wales, dubai, sweeden, south africa and canada in our class. If u are a good candidate, you will get in, irrespective of ur nationality. Also, I wouldnt worry about the interview, its actually quite fun.

19. Dr Foreman

Dr Foreman New Member

Just got an interview via e-mail today!!! Anyone else in the sameboat?

20. Jenny22

Jenny22 New Member

Woohoooo I have an interview on the 15th December, just received an email :D