1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Got a decent UKCAT, should I still aply to Liverpool?

Discussion in 'UKCAT' started by tuhinb, Oct 9, 2009.

1. tuhinb

tuhinb New Member

I did my UKCAT yesterday and got an average of 700. I've put Liverpool (based at Lancaster) as one of my choices but wondered whether I should change it as it wouldnt make use of my quite high UKCAT score. Does anyone have any suggestions on where I should apply with my grades/UKCAT where I would have a better chance at than Lancaster? Thanks :)

2. Presidential

Presidential New Member

No, use that score wisely. Sheffield comes to mind cut off was 670 last year. Manchester also like UKCAT.

3. tuhinb

tuhinb New Member

Hey, thanks for replying. I've put Sheffield down because they like a good score, not really thought about Manchester, isn't it really competitive?
    Do East Anglia/Keele use it a lot?

4. destined

destined New Member

they dont have a definite cut off for UKCAT as far as i know..
    i'm a gap year student as well nd i was thinkin of applyin to East Anglia or Keele but left it as they dont have many seats so its quite risky to apply.

5. House Jr.

House Jr. New Member

if pbl isnt your thing then i'd avoid manchester. you may stand a good chace at kings, your ukcat will mkae up for your GCSEs

6. Kinkerz

Kinkerz Active Member

If you don't like the idea of PBL, why consider applying to Lancaster?

7. tuhinb

tuhinb New Member

WEll I was planning to apply to two PBL and 2 integrated/systems-based unis. I'm applying to Sheffield/Southampton for the non-PBL ones, Peninsula and I wanted to know whether I'd stand a better chance at another uni than Lancaster as the UKCAT would boost my app. To be honest Liverpool was my 3rd/4th choice so I don't really mind about the place as long as it's medicine lol. I think Kings need AAA at A-level so can't apply there :p
    I'm a reapplicant so this year I just want to get in and am not concentrating as much on the status of the uni etc.
    So if I find a uni that I'd have a better chance of getting into than Liverpool then I may apply there. Destined what you mean they don't have many seats?

8. tuhinb

tuhinb New Member

I was also looking at HYMS, what do people think?

9. conorcd

conorcd New Member

You'd get an interview at Newcastle and Manchester with that score (cut-offs around 610). HYMS score UKCAT out of 10 and you'd get 7 (I think). Don't anyone send me a rude comment if I suggest looking at The Student Room - Announcements in Forum : Medicine
    and reading each uni website's admissions guidelines carefully. If you loved Liverpool, go for it but remember you will be against people who may be applying there as they didn't do so well at UKCAT but have great GCSEs/ A2s/ PS.
    you can apply to Sheffield as they cut-off at around 670-675 but most people who apply there will be above that (unless they don't realise there is a cut-off) so check what else they need. 700 is in top 7% so well done (you may be confused but at least you have plenty of options)

10. tuhinb

tuhinb New Member

Hey man, thanks for the informative and helpful reply :)
    I couldn't say I "loved" Liverpool as I have never been there and it wsa my
    3rd/4th choice tbh. I'm willing to change it if I stand a better chance at other unis as, being a reapplicant, the most important thing to me this year is getting in.
    I think Manchester and Hull are my 2 main options as they put emphasis on UKCAT. With Hull-York they say that if you are rejected due to your overall score, but your UKCAT is within the top 25%, then you will be reconsidered; this sounds good but I'm not sure if I'd be in the top 25%.
    Which out of Manchester and Hull-York do you think I'd stand a better chance of getting into?

11. conorcd

conorcd New Member

your ukcat is in top 7% of everyone who took it so HYMS would look at you twice. They want an AS level at grade b (AABb)-there is around a 35% chance of getting in and they interview around 600 people (nearly 1/2 of applicants)
    Manch only need AAB -more people apply there but they take more. they interview around 1200 (35%) and a 23% chance of getting in.
    I nearly applied to HYMS but wouldn't want to spend 5 years in Hull and no way of knowing if you'd get there or York (I was stuck on to 5 and needed a reason!)

12. tuhinb

tuhinb New Member

Oh sweet :) where do you get those stats from?
    And I've not really heard much about Hull and York, why wouldn't you want to stay there? Hmm so I've got to decide, a better chance of getting in or a better city. Is York a good place then? And would they tell you which one they've put you in when they give offers or once you start?

13. tuhinb

tuhinb New Member

Oh and I meant the UKCAT stats btw, the other ones are on med schools online i think.

14. conorcd

conorcd New Member

I have a pile of books (from amazon-I'm not rich). There is a post on here with the link showing what your score means compared to everyone else.
    Apparently you can say you'd refer Hull or York to live in but they don't guarantee it. York is lovely but not sure about nightlife. Hull apparently has great student nightclub so I might be wrong about it. (I've only driven through it to be honest). For me, another problem with hyms was the extra As. I really messed up my Maths AS (my pastoral tutor is head of maths so she reminds me of this a lot-I dropped maths when I was meant to end up with A*)

15. hsoj7

hsoj7 New Member

Hey

I got a pretty decent UKCAT score too, 715 average, and im using liverpool (based at lancaster) as like my "backup". I know you cant really have backups or whatever but its the most likely place of getting in for me as i live in the area that they encourage applicants from. Plus i really like Lancaster. I was gonna apply to HYMS but really dont like the idea of going to Hull either, so chose Leeds instead :)

16. conorcd

conorcd New Member

17. pistol_offire

pistol_offire New Member

anything over 700 is a fantastic score, so well done. id definitely take advantage of it by applying to sheffield, and any other ukcat-heavy unis. its a shame that newcastle/durham/kings want AAA because otherwise you'd stand a good chance there i think.

manchester like the ukcat especially for determining who they interview, but they do like good GCSEs from what i know. manchester is very much worth a punt imo because with a score of 700 they'd probably interview you, and i've heard that around 70% of interviewees are given an offer (can somebody back this up for me?). manc also prefer achieved A level grades so you have this in your favour.

18. conorcd

conorcd New Member

I was told manch interview top 850 or so ukcat scores and give offers to around 550-600 so end up with around 340 med students- so that is around 70% ( but obviously that is based on last couple of years statistics

19. tuhinb

tuhinb New Member

Hey guys, thanks for all the help/advice that you've given. I VERY nearly applied to Manchester but decided to apply to Hull-York instead; because they also put a lot of emphasis on UKCAT and also the competition is less fierce than manchester.
    The reason why I'm not taking risks this year is because after being rejected last year I'm just concentrating on getting a place this year so I'm putting my % chance of getting an offer before the city/location etc.
    I think Hull-Yorl and Manc use UKCAT in a similar way as if Hull-York are going to reject you based on your PS, but your UKCAT is in the top 25% of applicants, then they give you a second chance :)
    I know that people have said that Hull isn't a very good place to study but it's my fourth choice anyway so hopefully I'll get a place somewhere else too :)
    Thanks again, where are you lot applying to??

20. conorcd

conorcd New Member

You have to apply where you have most chance and only around a third of the number who apply to manch, apply to hyms so a good chance. I would have picked it probably if I hadn't messed up my AS maths (they want the AS at B I think). In the Insiders Guide To Medicine, they say very good things about Hull-the students who go there, love it so it's not a problem if you end up there.