good uni?

Discussion in 'Swansea Medical School' started by Francescauk, Oct 12, 2011.

1. Francescauk

Francescauk New Member

Hi guys,

I just wondered, as Swansea doesnt have a place in the university league tables...is it a good uni to do medicine at? just wondered what current and prospective students thought.

thanks!

2. omlette

omlette New Member

I think that it doesn't appear in the league tables for a few reasons, firstly as it's a graduate only school, the uni doesn't offer 5 year. I remember looking at a league table ages ago and noticing that Warwick (another exclusively GEM uni) wasn't on it either. It might also be because we're still awaiting confirmation from the GMC to teach all 4 years at Swansea. Until now students were sent to Cardiff for teaching in years 3+4, but chances are that won't be the case for the latest cohorts.

3. Profanius

Profanius New Member

All medical schools in the UK have to meet the standard required by GMC. In this respect, if you are planning to practice in the UK, all doctors are essentially equal and so are the medical schools they attended. Although there might be advantages in certain areas due to the clinical experience students can gain.

Swansea does not currently meet this requirement, hence why Swansea students finish their degrees at Cardiff, and Cardiff is the awarding institution on their degree certificates.

You might have an issue if you want to work abroad and people assess the quality of your degree by the institution that awarded in. This is currently a problem for Keele students as Keele medical degrees are not recognised in the United States (up until recently the University of Manchester was the awarding institution). Anyone looking up Swansea in the world university rankings will see it's in the top 1000, but it ranks considerably lower than many of the Eastern European universities that certain UK students drift towards.

At the end of the day, a medical degree from Swansea and the chance to be a doctor is better than no degree and no chance at all.

4. Fizzwizz

Fizzwizz Technical Administrator

Well I'd recommend Swansea very highly. You'd be hard pushed to find a better and more modern medical school.

... Fizz

5. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

I would ignore league tables, especially when it comes to medicine, as usually several elements of the scoring criteria often have little relevance to the student experience/value added. In fact for medicine, they can be down right misleading!

It's not like other courses where which Uni you went can make a material impact on your career. The only difference it can make, is some uni's are known for producing certain types of doc, which may give you a slight edge for that speciality.