1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GEM application, UKCAT score low, still a chance?

Discussion in 'UKCAT' started by Jam Man, Sep 20, 2013.

1. kesgreen

kesgreen New Member

As a science graduate, I find GAMSAT a walk in the park compared to UKCAT. I got a good score with zero preparation last time.

Unfortunately St George's have rejected me twice and all the other London GEM courses require inhuman UKCAT scores. That would be fine and dandy if it weren't for the fact that my brain is incompatible with those evil shapes!

2. Jam Man

Jam Man New Member

Is this your second time applying? What was your score/offers?

3. kesgreen

kesgreen New Member

I've lost track of the number of times I applied. I was interviewed at St. George's twice and rejected twice. I can't recall my score but it was in the top few percent.

I have had interviews/rejections from Nottingham and Swansea. No offers.

I'll apply again this year and probably ever year until either I get in or die, whichever comes first. I'm guessing the latter. Since I don't get the shapes, I stand little chance, but will still try anyway.

4. Jam Man

Jam Man New Member

Golly, how old are you? And how are you spending your time each year? I would have thought having interviews multiples only increases chances the second time.

All this is making me brick it. I'm hoping to get in on my second time, there's no plan B.

5. kesgreen

kesgreen New Member

43. I've just started a Masters in Biotechnology. At least if I don't get in again, I stand some chance of getting a job which pays more than the minimum wage.

Last year, I tried to get a laboratory job, but anything above monkey level required postgraduate qualifications.

I have been focused on getting into medical school for the last ten years (researching it, fruitlessly applying for a medicine foundation then a general science foundation, then science degree, then work experience). Just check out my forum join date (I'll probably still be here in ten years, moaning about my lack of offers). It didn't occur to me that my plan might fail and I had no Plan B either. Sadly, I don't think admissions are swayed by my persistence.

As far as interviews go, I can't do them. I think I just come across badly. I get extreme anxiety and I'm sure I make little sense. Maybe I'm not the right personality type, but I've met many doctors and they all had a different mix of attributes, so it's not as if one personality type is suitable in my opinion.

Anyway, if you really want to get in, just keep trying if you can. You're bound to have more luck than me!

6. Jam Man

Jam Man New Member

Well, who knows, I might end up having to apply multiple times, but it makes me slightly depressed to think that I'll end up applying year after year, tell myself that 'this is the year I get in', and then it all goes horribly wrong.

I'm quite an introvert, and whilst I've only had a handful of interviews for jobs etc, I don't trust my current capabilities to secure myself a place. So I've started boosting my confidence ready for the day my interview comes. But first, I need to tackle that UKCAT again. To be fair, even if I had a good score this year I wouldn't have made it. I had no PS prior to taking the UKCAT so I thought 30 days from my test date to the UCAS deadline would've been enough - big mistake. I guess you have to write a new PS each year due to their self plagiarism system?

7. kesgreen

kesgreen New Member

You have another week. I'm sure you can write a personal statement in that time. It doesn't have to be your entire autobiography.

That's the thing about medicine: you can fulfil all the requirements, spend thousands on tests, spend years getting work experience and still not get a place. Yes, it's depressing. Mind you, so is working in a badly-paid job you hate for the rest of your life, so it's all about perspective.

8. nisha 122

nisha 122 New Member

hi friends.

i am doing biosciences and planning to apply for graduate entry medicine 2017
    what would you suggest should i give ukcat or gamsat?
    i really need your help.
    any idea other than these universities that accept graduate entry medicine 4 years and require ukcat
    kings college london
    newcastle
    queens mary
    southhampton
    warwick

please help

9. dr_med

dr_med New Member

I'm only aware of the schools you listed. Personally, I'm planning to do both ukcat and gamsat for a couple of reasons:
    -I'll get the ukcat result as soon as I finish the test so I'll know whether I've done well enough to apply to Warwick and Newcastle (I'm from a non-science background).
    -Given my limited options, doing a gamsat will open up my options: Swansea, Nottingham and SGUL.

Since you're doing biosciences right now, I'm assuming you have biology and/or chemistry for A-Levels so you can check out the 5-year courses because more schools will have ukcat as a requirement (instead of the gamsat). But of course, financially, it's cheaper to do gamsat+ukcat than a 5-year course as a grad.

Imo if you can afford it then do both tests unless you're happy to apply to ukcat schools only (and you're sure you'll ace the test).

Hope this helps.

10. nisha 122

nisha 122 New Member

Hey thanks for your message.

But you see i dont have enough time if i do ukcat in this sep i just have 2 and half months toprepare meanwhile how will i be able to do gamsat?
    I am going in my third this september
    I am very confused as u see there is alot of compitition for GEM and i dont wana do 5 years as i have already done degree.

11. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Nisha - the biggest prep for GAMSAT is learning the science. Being biomedical your already got chem and bio way in excess of what you need. You just need to brush up the physics, which is only peripheral.
    After that it's exam technique!

As Dr Med is doing, doing both gives you the best choices and maximises you chances.

12. nisha 122

nisha 122 New Member

Thankyou martigan. I will try to look at both.

13. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

I went through the list of (then) 16 GEP courses and listed their requirements and rated how well I could meet them, how well the uni's met my requirements. (Location - I two am a parent and had to think of the impact on my family)

From that I formulated a plan and based my study and prep around that.

I did UKCAT, GAMSAT and A-Level Chem to maximise my chances.

14. nisha 122

nisha 122 New Member

So have you done your ukcat gamsat yet? How did you prepare? Can u tell me list and requirements? Please
    Are 3 months enough for starting preparation?
    Please help me im starting too

15. dr_med

dr_med New Member

Hi Nisha - Martigan is a doc now (congrats Martigan!) so yea he must have done them a while ago.

Write down your GCSE, A-level and degree and check out each school's entry requirement against what you've got. I'll try to send you the link on pvt because it's not letting me post the link here. If you're flexible in terms of location then you might have over a dozen to choose from (but i think you can apply to 4 only).

In terms of GAMSAT practice, why don't you check out a practice test to gauge how much you need to study? I used the practice test on the e-gamsat website* and i somehow managed to get 33% in the sciences. This was before I studied any of the sciences (so just logical thinking). I also bought the Griffiths book which listed the common topics. I'm using that as my study guide.

I don't know if the sample test above is part of ACER's "official" sample test but i know that when you register for the test you get a sample q&a booklet. I've not opened that yet o_O as I'm waiting to do my ukcat in Aug before i begin with the practice tests of the gamsat.

I started studying for Chemistry in April and Biology in May but only a few hrs a week for both (3-5hrs max). I'll probably do Physics in Aug after the UKCAT and hoping to step up the hrs by then! But pls don't use this as a guide because I'm from a non-science background (last time I did any science was biology at GCSE) and I've devised a method of studying suitable for me (lifestyle, work, etc).

Another thing is you can do the GAMSAT in March if you're not successful in Sep. It may not be useful for '17 entry but at least you'll know in advance if you're applying again for '18. It also means you're doing the test for a second time so more familiar with it, etc.

Oh and the gamsat result is valid for a couple of years so if you ace it this year but don't get accepted to med school, you can still use your results next year.

*it's not letting me post the link but just go to e-gamsat and you'll find the practice Q&A.

16. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

For GAMSAT I prepared by working my way through science text books. (Collins advanced science) and the ACER practice/sample papers.

I used my lunch breaks from about April / May, plus a few othe odd days. In effect just 7 hours a week for 4-5 months. So if you only have 3 months, that can be fine, if you can devote more time to it. (Depending on your ability)

See if you can get a copy of the Griffith GAMSAT review. It's full of strategies, tips and tricks.