GEM applicants 2014

Discussion in 'Swansea Medical School' started by potential_dr, Oct 21, 2013.

1. potential_dr

potential_dr New Member

Hi, I thought I'd start a thread for swansea applicants for 2014 entry. So much seems to have changed this year for Gamsat only applicants. St George's have lowered their cut off and applicant number and Liverpool and Cardiff now accept Gamsat. Furthermore Swansea now except 2.2 with masters. How do ppl think this will effect the applicant number at Swansea and the chance of entry?

2. folpips

folpips Member

I think the medical schools have a way of managing their applications, they interview the highest 200 applicants that meets their minimum requirements.So i feel this shouldnt affect anything really.

3. folpips

folpips Member

I have applied to Swansea,only because they now accept 2.2 with a Masters.Would see out it turns out ,finger crossed,hoping for a good gamsat as well.potential-dr,did you sit the gamsat 2013?

4. potential_dr

potential_dr New Member

Yep I did sit the exam. I'm not entirely sure how I feel it went but I'm hoping for the best and decided to apply. Waiting for results is agonising, but hopefully the results will be worth it. I do wonder if all the other unis have changed there application number as the goverment have made some cuts- (2% I think)- but seeing as the website doesn't mention anything I'll take ur word folpips that it is still top 200 with 70 positions.

5. potential_dr

potential_dr New Member

Did you sit the uk Gamsat and how do you feel it went folpips?

6. folpips

folpips Member

Yeah,i did.To be honest i am so sure how it went,humm i would say okayish.Guessed about 5 questions for both sec 1 and 3.My section 2 was nt bad at all,giving that i did loads of preparations for it.But anyways ,just a month to Gamsat result,we will see then.I do really hope i have a better score this time.Good luck to you with your gamsat.

7. soptah

soptah Member

Hey, has anyone received an acknowledgement email from Swansea?

8. Nuggy

Nuggy New Member

I haven't received an acknowledgement email but it shows on my UCAS account that they are considering my application

9. Amy_Kitch

Amy_Kitch New Member

same for me, no acknowledgement!

10. Iceman10

Iceman10 Member

I got an email from Swansea asking me for more information. They wanted to know what I was doing in one particular year so I know they've seen my application but that's the only email I received from them.

#10 Iceman10, Oct 26, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  11. folpips

folpips Member

I also received a letter from Swansea requesting for more information.

12. Iceman10

Iceman10 Member

I just called and asked, the lady said normally around 70 places and 800 people apply, she didn't say anything about cuts.

13. Iceman10

Iceman10 Member

Does anyone know what GAMSAT score Swansea tend to accept as their minimum or if they have a cutoff?

14. M150

M150 New Member

Heya Iceman,

The only info I've been able to find about swansea is the minimum of 50 overall and in section 3. They don't seem to use the GAMSAT in the same way as SGUL and Nottingham so I don't think it a as easy to work out a GAMSAT cut off.

How did it go?

15. Iceman10

Iceman10 Member

Thanks for the info, that's me out for this year. I'll have to sit the GAMSAT again in March. Well done with your score and good luck for next year.

#15 Iceman10, Nov 19, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2013
  16. M150

M150 New Member

Ah that sucks. Good luck for March though, I guess one plus is that it gives you more time to get experience sorted. And we'll have a bit more information based on the cut offs for 2015 entry after the reduction in places.

17. Amy_Kitch

Amy_Kitch New Member

How has everyone done now that gamsat results are out? Really hope you got the scores you wanted x

18. jessica ahmed

jessica ahmed New Member

Hi,

I didnt do too good on the GAMSAT :( my first time taking it and i got 49,56,43. Overall 48.
    Does anyone think i stand a chance at getting an offer from Swansea? I really hope i do, although i know my chances are very slim :(

19. soptah

soptah Member

I'm afraid Jessica that the cut off is 50 overall, and 50 in section 3, therefore you would not meet the entry requirements. Have you applied to other non GAMSAT universities?

20. jessica ahmed

jessica ahmed New Member

Yeh i read that on their website :( i was hoping that if my personal statement and reference is good that they might give me a chance for interview because i read somewhere that sometimes people with low GAMSAT scores like 40-50 get offers if the rest of their application is good. Not going to get my hopes up though because chances are slim.

I've also applied for Nottingham and St georges with the GAMSAT. got a rejection from St georges because of my GAMSAT score, im expecting the same from Nottingham :(.

How did u do?