1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GCSE worries

Discussion in 'Access to Medicine' started by squint11, Jul 15, 2009.

1. squint11

squint11 New Member

I am awaiting my GCSE results and quite frankly dreading them.
    I was under the impression that mostly A's, an A* or two and one or two B's would be acceptable for most medical schools but now having seen some results here I am worried :/ what are my chances?

also I'm worried about my GCSE in maths, what med schools are bothered by resits?:confused:

2. sjk

sjk New Member

What grades have you got?

Most med schools require English and Maths to at least grade B. Some accept resits (quite a lot), whereas some, such as Sheffield don't.

As you've posted this in the "Access To Medicine" forum, I am assuming you are wishing to take the ATM route?

3. squint11

squint11 New Member

I don't know yet i'll be finding out next month.

I'm predicted an A*, A's in english, welsh first language and sciences, a B or C in maths and A's for everything else. I feel that maths is the only thing seriously holding me back, I felt the exam went awfully :/

In retrospect I think I might have posted this in the wrong forum, sorry i'm new to this. However I'm open minded on which route to take.

4. sjk

sjk New Member

So you haven't got any results yet? If that's the case then let us not worry about it just yet.

My advice (if you're still at school) is to complete your GCSEs and then do A-levels in Chemistry, Biology and another useful subject - possibly English given that your GCSE predictions are good. If it transpires that you don't get a B or above in Maths, then resit the exam in your first year at college/6th form.

In the meantime, don't worry too much about your results. You generally find that the exams where you felt as though you did poorly, you didn't too bad afterall.

#4 sjk, Jul 16, 2009
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2009
  5. squint11

squint11 New Member

no I took them in may/june of this year but I haven't had my results.

thank you for your advice. I intend to take Chemistry Biology and Spanish, along with the Welsh Baccalaureate which is compulsory.

6. sjk

sjk New Member

Does the Welsh Baccalaureate provide the same level of qualification that an AS level does? If so, that's good because you won't need to take an additional subject up to AS level.

7. Welshboy41

Welshboy41 New Member

In my school it is compulsary to do the welsh Baccalaureate, not sure if it is compulsary everywhere. But im in pretty much the same position as the original poster. Awaiting GCSE results. Oh and from what I gather, the welsh Baccalaureate counts as an A grade at A level if you pass. So I chose to study Chem, Phys, Biol and Maths in sixth form. Are these good choices?

8. sjk

sjk New Member

Yes they are good choices. But remember, some schools say they require only one science subject and no more. So research it carefully!

9. AmnaA

AmnaA New Member

Good luck, :)

I'm redoing my 360 science and maths this year, then doing addition science and english while I do my access course next year, this is my plan! I wish I hadn't left it so long though, it was double science before now it's all confusing!