1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GCSE Grades, Why Did I take Business?

Discussion in 'Manchester Medical School' started by ZChange, Oct 10, 2008.

1. ZChange

ZChange New Member

BTEC Edexcel Media Studies: Pass (Retaking, Predicted Distinction)
    GCSE AQA Additional Science: A
    GCSE AQA Core Science: A
    GCSE AQA English Language: A*
    GCSE AQA English Literature: A*
    GCSE AQA Mathematics: B
    GCSE AQA Statistics: C
    GCSE AQA Triple Science: A
    GCSE Edexcel Physical Education (Short Course): G
    GCSE OCR Applied Business: A* A*
    GCSE WJEC Religious Studies (Short Course): A*
    OCR Nationals ICT Level 2: Distinction
    AiDA Edexcel ICT Level 2: Distinction
    GCSE AQA Citizenship (Short Course): A*
    Key Skills Edexcel ICT Level 1 & 2

Do I have a chance of getting in with these grades if I get three As at A-Level? Chemistry, Biology, English Literature and Psychology. The Media Studies was the biggest mistake I have ever made, the teachers didn't even bother and most of the class achieved a Pass only, some of which failed. I couldn't do PE because I was on medication that made it hard for me to move around, but I'm bad at it anyway. I wouldn't have to declare it on my UCAS form would I? Also, do you think I should retake my Math GCSE to try and get an A? Thanks.

By the way, what's up with applied business? I had to do 30 pieces of long coursework and an exam :mad:

2. JD7

JD7 Member

Whats wrong with it, you got 2 A*s... No you dont have to put failed subjects on there.

On topic don't ask silly questions.

3. ZChange

ZChange New Member

It's not a silly question at all.

At least seven subjects are required at Grade C or above; at least five must be at A or A*. English Language and Mathematics are required at GCSE minimum grade B.

Physics and Biology are required either at AS or at GCSE at minimum Grade C. (Chemistry is essential at A2). If Dual Award Science is offered, the minimum required is BB. In Grade A requirements, the School do not currently accept Applied ICT, Applied Business or short courses.

Considering I pretty much skim the requirements, I was wondering if I have a good chance rather than a poor one.

4. annie<3

annie<3 New Member

A G isn't a failed subject is it? It is still a grade. I thought that anything above a U would have to be declared on the UCAS form..

5. Kinkerz

Kinkerz Active Member

You're very right. Only a grade U is a fail, at A-level or GCSE.

A G at GCSE is not a failed subject so you'd have to declare it on your UCAS form. It does seem that you have to extenuating circumstances though, so look into that.

6. Kinkerz

Kinkerz Active Member

You did three sets of GCSE science? Why?

7. ZChange

ZChange New Member

I don't know why, because we were in the top set they said we had to. Now I have five GCSEs in Science, and I only needed two. Do they count as different subjects?

8. Kinkerz

Kinkerz Active Member

No, you had more than enough with the triple science (only needed double). Your other sciences are pretty pointless.

9. ZChange

ZChange New Member

Okay, thanks. That's pretty annoying actually. With all my short courses, business and GCSE equivalents I have nothing left really...Maybe I should reconsider Manchester, that's a shame.