1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamsat without science background...

Discussion in 'GAMSAT' started by Chickpea1973, Apr 3, 2012.

1. Chickpea1973

Chickpea1973 New Member

Hi Guys,

Am I being mad considering Gamsat without a science background??

I'm working through the forum trying to work out the best revision material etc and am at an absolute loss. I've ordered a couple of human biology books as I feel more confident with biology but feel lost with chemistry and physics.

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

C

2. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

I didn't have a science back ground. I didn't even have Bio or Chem GCSE, and it was 20 years after I sat my a-levels - still got 67 on section III. If I can do it, any one can...

I just used the Collins Advanced Science books (lots of nice pictures and diagrams), the Griffith GAMSAT review and the ACER practice/sample papers/questions.

3. Chickpea1973

Chickpea1973 New Member

Martigan, thanks for your reply. It's brilliant to hear about others attempting and getting through the Gamsat with little or no science background. Even though we are all individuals with differing amounts of knowledge and experience it nevertheless encourages to know others have succeeded. It's so easy to have one's confidence knocked before even starting.

I'm just starting to put together a revision timetable and the book references are a real bonus as chemistry, biology, physics are such big areas. Thanks !

4. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

I used my lunch breaks doing an hour a day from about April.

It's do-able but everyone needs to find the method that suits them.

5. Joanna2012

Joanna2012 New Member

I didn't have a science background either, I used OCR AS and A2 books published by Heinemann. Easy to find on Amazon, though I bought mine cheaply on ebay, (but make sure you don't get the 'Revise' version of the books, these look very similar but aren't proper textbooks). I also used the ACER practice papers. I had a quick read through some GCSE books first to learn the basics, as I'd never really done any physics or chemistry before.

I couldn't get my head around physics at all beyond GCSE level, so I concentrated on biology and chemistry. I tried to study for a couple of hours every day for 3 months.

A few lucky guesses in the exam might have helped too, but in the end I got 71 for section 3, a very good score, so it is definately do-able.

Good luck! :)

6. Mr.Clever

Mr.Clever New Member

Hi Martigan/Joanna did the gamsats couple of weeks ago hopeful for good results. I must admit did find sec 3 quite tricky. Before doing that section I felt very confident as I had covered the whole of a-level chem, kinetics, equilibrium, electrode potential,. bio, mitosis, dna replication, action potential much of this didn’t come up. It didn’t seem necessary to have done all that work not to mention the fact i OVERPREPARED for organic chem. To be fair I looked through the acer practice papers but I hadn’t done any timed. What would you suggest for this section if I had to face the dreaded thing again in sep 2012.

7. Dr. Mc_On_Call

Dr. Mc_On_Call New Member

Always love to read such posts/success stories - being a non-science grad myself. Earlier this year I signed up to attend night school a few nights to sit science A-Levels but unfortunately it wasn't possible to continue due to work commitments. Currently working 50+ hours per week across 2 jobs, 1 FT & another PT post. Been off this Easter & decided to pick myself up again & aim for GAMSAT. Not sure about sitting this Septembers but will definitely sit it in March 13. Gonna gather resources over the next few weeks.

8. ukstern

ukstern New Member

Hi all

Just thinking about doing the GAMSAT makes me want to top myself...

The only uni I am considering applying to that requires GAMSAT is Notts - thanks all for your recommendations about what resources you found useful. I am in that frame of mind where I know what needs to be done but I don't really know where to start! I did a BSc in Psychology so have a bit of biology experience but no other sciences since I was 15. Scary stuff but good luck everyone!

9. Dr. Mc_On_Call

Dr. Mc_On_Call New Member

Don't be put off by the overwhelming workload - just plan out your time & you'll be fine. I'm currently gathering resources & about to start. Hope to start in the next week of two. I have no science background - but plan to take it bit by bit. Keep the chin up & keep posting on NMM for support & guidance throughout.

10. TENSIGMA

TENSIGMA New Member

Hi guys, some really great info and recommendations posted by you on here. I'm intersted in applying to one of the four year course as a mature student (I'm 29) so am thinking about pulling the trigger on GAMSAT. I did Alevels in maths and chemistry (both As) but that was back in 2000 (I have a degree in economics, and got a good grade, so i know about studying). I'm not working at the moment so I have all day to study. If I start now, do i have a realistic chance of scoring well in september? Thanks.

11. richadam

richadam New Member

Hey! yes, of course you do.

You can easily cover the Biology subjects in under a month, perhaps even 2-3 weeks if as you said you're not working.

You already have a good background in Chemistry obviously, so you will no doubt cover the material much quicker than the average person. I'm leaving myself 12 weeks roughly to cover it all, so you can easily do it!

We have roughly 20 weeks until the exam. Spend a couple of weeks covering Biology, Chem and Physics, and do a practice test and see how you feel!

But to summarise, yes, 20 weeks is plenty of time if it is used wisely. Personally, I work full time, so I'm trying to get in at least an hour on my working days, and 6-8 hours on my days off. I'm quietly confident I can pass the exam. I've nearly covered Biology (should be done in a couple of weeks), and then going to move on to Chem.

12. Ilovestagbeetles

Ilovestagbeetles New Member

Hi Guys

I am in a similar position. I have got Griffiths and Des O'neills study materials and lots of text books and am working towards GAMSAT in September 2012. I have not done a great deal so far though and have a FT job and was wondering whether you think that evenings and weekends will be enough time to get me through for September. I could try and get a sabbatical from work for a couple of months although they ight say no but I cant really risk resigning as I have a mortgage to pay and the job market isnt great at the moment. I cant delay another year!!!

I dont have a science background but should be ok on the other papers I think.

Thanks

13. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Its possible, but tough if your starting now.

I used my lunch breaks from about April/May. But I did have a friend who started in June and she is now at Swansea.
    Remember you will also need to fit in time to research your choices and write your PS (unless all your choices ignore the PS - but even then that's risky...)

I know where your coming from as I was much the same as you a few years ago. Hang around, listen, get some advice, work out which advice is good and bad, then go for it.

Do keep some emotional energy spare, just in case you don't get in first time. A lot of excellent candidates don't get in first time, but do 2nd time or later!
    This isn't always due to you, there is a lot of luck involved from how you are on the day, to how your experiences resonate with that individual interviewer.

I was a 2nd time success. Getting no rejections the second time and I didn't change that much in a year!

How are you finding Des O'Neills? Personally the only thing he helped me with was insomnia... The Collins Advanced Science text books worked well for me, and the ACER practice tests were also invaluable. Working thought them then going through and looking at what I got right and wrong and why!

It is a tough run, especially when you are working in an environment where you can't tell anyone. You need to commit your heart and soul which is exhausting.
    But for me at l;east it was DEFINATLY worth it. Yes its heard work, but doing what I love is such a massive reward I hardly notice.

Good luck!

14. Mr.Clever

Mr.Clever New Member

Martigan is correct. i think thats excellent advice ill be doing gamsats second time in September. and i feel u should without out any doubt make sure u do the practice papers to familiarise yourself with the style of question timing etc. as well as gradually working your way through text books. i knew alot of science the first time around (to a really high level) but still failed sec3. for some reason last time i didnt do 1 timed practice paper quite crazy. im gonna give it my all 2 start st georges 2013, hopefully ill c u there martigan, and some of the rest of you heroes of 2morrow

15. Ilovestagbeetles

Martigan and Mr Clever

Thanks for your replies. It's so nice to hear from people who clearly understand the trials of GAMSAT. I have told very few people certainly noone I work with and not even most of my friends who are beginning to wonder why I have disappeared off the face of the earth.

I too find the Des O'Neill stuff very daunting and even the multiple choice questions that he provides harder than the ACER ones, although perhaps that is my imagination!? I have the Heineman books and lots of other books from my local library, so I am not short of resources, just time! I will be quite a mature student so I just have to get through first time!!!

Maybe I am getting ahead of myself, but I was just wondering how you found the interview process and the mini tasks?

I too am hoping to go to St Georges and I was wondering how demanding you find the course itself and how much free time you find you have?

I have a saying at work, the Apollo 13 quote "Failure is not an option". Just got to try and live up to it, lets get GAMSAT over with.......!!!

Thanks for all your advice.

16. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

I've pm'd you...

17. Mr.Clever

Mr.Clever New Member

I like your attitude, just remember remember to do the practice papers, i found learning the science was quite easy over time, but the gamsat style of question are not typical a-level questions, so you must must learn the style of question, im sure yall do it, gooo 4 it. i know wat i have 2 do now im just runnin out of steam lol

18. Ilovestagbeetles

Thanks for the advice, I have some practice papers and will definitely get stuck in. Keep going not that long to go now. Good luck!

19. Ilovestagbeetles

Been looking at the past papers as you suggested and I now know exactly what you mean. Even though i thought I had a reasonable grasp of some of the topics the questions seem really hard to answer. Its true what everyone says they really do test understanding rather than just knowing the facts.

Are you finding answering the science questions any easier after practice? I hope so. I am hoping that it will all just click after a bit/lot more work. My main worry is section 3 as I have no science/maths background.

Hopefully it will all get a bit easier after GAMSAT......

Got a day off at wimbledon tomorrow a bit of much needed light relief before getting back to the grindstone.

Thanks for all your valuable advice. Good luck with your studies

20. Mr.Clever

Mr.Clever New Member

hi just got your message well done for examining the past papers, i have been doing the same over the last couple of days and it has reaffirmed my belief that it is the way to go. I found as many people say the answers are hidden within the stimulus you just need to find it. practice digesting processing the chunks of graphical written given, extract whats meaningful and what isnt. If you really examine the questions and take your time you will see some of them are quite easy but I feel the stress of the day overcomes many people.i do think prior knowledge is invaluable as it helps you process the data. going through a few troubles myself(other than gamsats) so may delay until march. I feel going forward ill just need to keep going, practice using the equations given, practice data handling, practice practice practice and learn to do it quickly develop a strategy for the day your own technique see it as a challenge. Be confident thats the best advice I can give and as martigan said try and keep that emotional balance, if you have to do again go for it. That was my problem I became obsessed with passing first time(not that its not possible of course!) I felt flat afterwards. Whats your background anyway what degree did you do, I did sociology which really shot up my sec 2, scored a nice 67 and im sure I can probably do 20 points higher than that next time. Enjoy your day off friend.