1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GAMSAT For Dummies

Discussion in 'GAMSAT' started by ganjamozart, May 19, 2016.

1. coolrunnings

coolrunnings New Member

Super helpful, thank you! Let us know how you get on.

Where did you apply? Did you take the UKCAT? How did you score?

2. coolrunnings

coolrunnings New Member

Where did you find your gradmed materials? I can't find any on eBay or gumtree !

3. coolrunnings

coolrunnings New Member

Sorry, one more thing: when you used the khan academy videos, did you use the MCAT ones with passages or the general science class ones?

Thanks !

4. ganjamozart

ganjamozart Member

Hi,

I got the gradmed stuff off ebay. I try to steer clear of gumtree, I was ripped off there, by a medical student SMH...

The Khan academy, I remember using the general videos, and MCAT videos for the organic chemistry, especially stereo chemistry.

I was at blackstone pe.

I only applied to the GAMSAT unis, I like Georges and Notts, also applied to Exeter and Plymouth, as plymouth also have one of the best underwater diving facilities :D

5. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

I started with the human biology one, but switched to the general one, as the GAMSAT is not human biology specific.

6. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Like ganja says, becareful about paying too much.
    I was lucky to get loaned the biology and chem Collins books. I had bought the human bio one myself, which in hindsight was a waste...

7. coolrunnings

coolrunnings New Member

Thanks all.

Roughly how long are all of the GradMed materials? They vary so much online !

8. AquaFlower

AquaFlower New Member

Hey guys, thanks so much for all the tips, I'm so glad I landed on this thread!

I was wondering whether it matters which edition you get for the Collins Advanced Science textbooks? There's quite a big price difference between the 2nd and 3rd editions so if I don't have to I won't spend top dollar for the latest ed. I have a limited science background (I studied Biology A-Level and Chemistry AS 6 years ago) and I'm going to be self-studying for the exam so I do want to give myself every chance... what do you guys suggest? I'll be investing in the Griffith's Review and Acer books too.

Thanks!

9. ganjamozart

ganjamozart Member

I really don't think it matters which edition you get. I used the 2nd edition. Only used it briefly for some info, everything else can be found online especially through youtube and khan academy.

10. AquaFlower

AquaFlower New Member

Awesome, thank you that's super helpful!

11. AquaFlower

AquaFlower New Member

Right, so now that I have all three Collins Advanced Science (2nd Ed) textbooks and the Organic Chem for Dummies book.. but where do I start!? I'm looking for a guide to the content of the exam because these books are enormous, but I can't find any that are recommended - the gold standard has very mixed reviews and is very expensive, the Griffiths review sounds like it's more useful for section 2.. where do guys recommend I go for a list of topics for section 3? Any help here would be so great :)

12. ganjamozart

ganjamozart Member

I used the syllabus list here
    http://www.gamsat.ie/ - this is rather exhaustive

For a less in depth 'syllabus' the griffith gamsat review covers most of the topics that come up frequently. Gold Standard is really very poor, other than the high quality mock paper within.

AquaFlower likes this.
  13. AquaFlower

AquaFlower New Member

Thanks ganjamozart - that is super helpful!

14. ganjamozart

ganjamozart Member

I have a previous thread on here called Gamsat for dummies highlighting my experience of the GAMSAT. I sold my books to a friend who sat the March 2017 exam and he has just got his results back :D and as he is still working requested that I sell the material (these were originally my books) on his behalf.

I am looking to sell them at a fair price and in bulk as the postage fees will add up. I will offer a good discount if you are based in London, and I am happy to meet up around the Notting Hill area. I was also able to secure four offers for graduate entry, so I am happy to help and advise regarding interview prep and application.

I have the Des o'neill, Gradmed, Gold standard, Collins advanced science books, Medprep, Ozimed, Guru Method, Griffith review. I come from a non science background and not from an essay background, but with these material you will have more than sufficient practice to hone your abilities for S1, S2 and S3.

I am currently abroad but should be back in London on the 24th.

15. ssass

ssass New Member

Hello, I was wondering if you could help me with the GAMSAT? I'm about to graduate from a three-year biomedical sciences degree and was thinking of applying for graduate medicine this October. The universities I'm looking at require the UKCAT and the GAMSAT.

I've booked the UKCAT for late July, and plan to start revising at the beginning of July. But I was wondering when I should start revising for the GAMSAT, as information ranges between 3-6 months (which I definitely do not have) and sometimes as low as 5 weeks?

More than the exam itself (of which, to my understanding, there are two essays that are similar to general studies essays that took place during A-Levels, and a third section, of which details are LESS clear but seem to revolve around the three sciences and organic chemistry in particular (which I barely scraped through)) it's the timings and when and how to start revising that's worrying me most.

Will about three hours a day for two months be sufficient? Do I need seven hours a day for as long as possible? There's so much information and so much of it is conflicting that I'm truly at a loss. Someone please help?

16. ganjamozart

ganjamozart Member

Hi,

It really depends on your background and how strong you are academically and so without further information it's difficult to give a definitive answer.

I think starting earlier is better, practising essays for section 2 if you start now should be a breeze come exam time. Similarly, you should try the mock GAMSAT section 1 to see how far off you are - it will give you a much better idea of how much you need to prepare.

With regards to section 3, again have a look at the mock GAMSAT paper and see how well prepared you are. The section 3 of the GAMSAT with regards to organic chemistry is more about pattern recognition than prior knowledge. I presume you wouldn't find section 3 a big challenge considering your science background.

17. ssass

ssass New Member

Hi, thanks for such a quick response.

While I do have a science background, there was actually very little chemistry involved in my degree. The reason I'm concerned is because my A-level results (in biology and chemistry) were quite poor - a reason why I've had to dismiss a number of universities that would consider postgrad medicine.

I've never had a problem with essay timings, and I tend to perform better in essays where general knowledge, comparisons and thought is required, as to science-based essays in exams.

I'll definitely have a look at the practice papers on ACER, and see which books and packages to buy for preparation.

Again, thanks so much for helping.

18. naiwrita

naiwrita New Member

Hi, are these still available? I am looking to buy only the practice tests, and more than happy to bear the shipping costs.