1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamsat essays - how important is the accuracy of facts?

Discussion in 'GAMSAT' started by xl507, Jan 6, 2017.

1. xl507

xl507 New Member

So, during the essay section and I want to draw a historical example to support my point, how important is it to be really accurate in my fact recall? Let's say I want to talk about the Cold War and I say that neither USSR or USA wanted to go to war they just don't the other side to dominate globally. Which is (I think) kind of true, but not true (or obvious) if you read the facts. So is it a big taboo for this section? Thanks

2. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

They are not really after facts, they are after argumumennts. So it's the points you are trying to get across.

If they think you are making stuff up, I can't see that going down well. But in your example, above, you just Pre fix it with. "I believe that" you have just made your safety net. And given an opportunity for you to discuss why you believe that, thus demonstrating your ability to communicate an aregument, which is the point of the test. (As long as you show balance)

xl507 likes this.
  3. xl507

xl507 New Member

That's great, thanks a lot Martigan. I hate these damn things, every time I re-read my essays I want to puke.

4. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

I know the feeling. I hated that section with a passion.