1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamsat Distribution of Marks

Discussion in 'GAMSAT' started by Fizzwizz, Mar 4, 2005.

1. Fizzwizz

Fizzwizz Technical Administrator

I hate cumulative graphs. Here is a graph showing the frequency of mark distribution as a percentage of gamsat candidates. I've taken the data from the cumulative chart and not raw data so it is an approximation.
    [​IMG]
    ... Fizz

#1 Fizzwizz, Mar 4, 2005
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2007
  2. rachelm

rachelm New Member

Cor. Unsure why "Dustribution" made me smile though :)

3. Fizzwizz

LOL
    Well dustribution it is staying now :)

4. masic

masic New Member

cutt offs

Can anyone advise on the cutt offs for St georges, notts, and PMS for 2005 sitting?

Thanks

5. exms

exms New Member

For 2005? It was 62 for Notts/Georges, and pretty much 62 for PMS too.

-- A.

6. BubblePop

BubblePop New Member

Really?

I read the PMS site and at least for 2006, they mentioned that they would not observe a cut off score.

I wonder if this will still be the case come March...

7. exms

exms New Member

Where did you see that? Last year it seemed they were a bit flexible about what scores they would take, but I hadn't heard they were thinking of abandoning the cut-off altogether. Do you have a URL to that page?

-- A.

8. BubblePop

BubblePop New Member

Sorry, my apologies. I was actually referring to the University of Swansea. I don't know why I got them mixed up.

They select high scoring candidates but there is no cut off mark for them.

The link is here.

#8 BubblePop, Oct 22, 2005
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2005
  9. jackson0100

jackson0100 Member

are they out of a hundred or 73?

10. JohnnyBoyBravo

JohnnyBoyBravo New Member

Silly question.. when do we find out the results of this charade? I've tried to find on the net but best I can do is mid may.. If this is true, why the big delay from when the universities know to when we do? i was told unis know beginning of march.

11. Lyra

Lyra New Member

End of Feb/early March. Last year it was a few days earlier than we'd be told, IIRC.

I'd guess unis are sent the results at the same time, possibly just a day or so before we get them?

So within two weeks we'll know our fate. Not that I'm counting, obviously.

*la, la, la - sticks fingers in ears*

12. mark the physio

mark the physio New Member

Hi jonny

How did your interview go for Swansea? I will be applying for next year.Could you tell me what type of questions they asked, which would be a great help if i`m selected for interview.
    Cheers
    Mark

13. nikopol

nikopol New Member

I've done the same with the Gamsat Scores for 2006 - again, they use a pretty weird scale so it's quite approximate in parts and I've rounded it all up so, if you don't see your score on it, je suis désolé
    [​IMG]

The cutoff point this year for most GAMSAT unis was 63 (same as 2005). According to the graph, that's the top 28% (if they'd gone for 64, it would have only been 24%) so they seem to be sticking to the top 25% to get an interview theory.

#13 nikopol, Mar 9, 2006
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2006
  14. Natbox

Natbox New Member

Quote from UCAS booklet 2006:

"To be considered for an interview for admission to the GEP at st Georges and Nottingham, candidates must achieve a minimum score of 55 in section II, and 55 in either section I or III"

Nat xxx

15. manchester26

manchester26 New Member

Hi everyone,

I'm just wondering if you could help me out with a GAMSAT question. I haven't studied any science past GCSE - for which I got CC. I am way more confidant of my capability now, so what standard do you think I will have to be up to in order to be successful? I've done some research but some sources are saying A-level science and others are saying degree!

could anyone help?

16. kang

kang New Member

Hi everyone,

The the physics is definitely only A-level standard, not degree level.The Chemistry(Organic Chemistry or Biochemistry) is 1st Year Degree Level (slightly and only slightly more advanced than A(or A2)-level Chemistry same with the biology. The difference between 1st year degree biology/chemistry and A-level is that it the concepts in A-level are discussed in more depth.

If you revise all the all the A-level topics in more depth it should be fine.:D

P.S. please correct me if I am wrong.:D

17. BubblePop

BubblePop New Member

Why don't you find a copy of the science syllabus that the GAMSAT exam tests on? I got a copy of the syllabus when I enquired about the Gradmed course (although I didn't do the course). That should serve as a good starting point.

It's best to be safe, not sorry, when it comes to an exam like this that you can only take once a year. I would recommend you get the necessary science textbooks to the right level of testing (they might even be in your local library if you cannot afford to buy them) and if possible, maybe get hold of a GAMSAT study guide. It will give you a feel of the level of the questions and also the style of the exam.

I have started a thread about forming study groups. If you want to, you can post a thread asking if people in/near your area who are studying for GAMSAT wish to form a study group with you. At least that way you can get help with what is required if you feel lost on where to start. Good luck!!

18. Fizzwizz

nostalgiarama!!!!

19. fay t

fay t New Member

Can someone make on of these graphs for this years one? Thanks

20. Imhotep

Imhotep New Member

I've had a go using the cumulative distribution function (cdf) curve they provided. I've amalgamated the scores at the top and bottom because they're very difficult to make any accurate estimate of. As it stands the graph is my best-guess based on the information I have (i.e. the cdf curve from ACER).

Stephen

Attached Files: