1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

GAMSAT cutoff 2009

Discussion in 'Peninsula Medical School' started by AkumA, Nov 7, 2009.

1. AkumA

AkumA New Member

Anyone have any idea of the cutoff for 2009 and what it was last year? I've heard it's always higher than St.G/Nott's, any reason why?

2. Yixian

Yixian New Member

There is no graduate entry program here as such, post-grads do the same 5 year course as under-grads, so I suppose it's because you're competing with the other couple 1000 PCMD applicants, whereas at Nottingham and St Georges you're only competing with post-grad applicants.

^ Just a theory.

3. med20

med20 New Member

Hey i emailed them on the day of the GAMSAT results being released. I asked how they would use my score, almost in a last ditch attempt to see if they would look at my ps before rejecting me. I had an email through this morning to say that they have yet to decide officially on a cut-off score for this year although the last two years the cut-off has been set at 62.

4. AkumA

AkumA New Member

so they interview the top 10% of applicants?

5. med20

med20 New Member

I'm not sure about top 10%? I expected to have to get within the top 25% on the gamsat score graph as this is usually the 62-63 boundary.

6. Remus

Remus New Member

has anybody received any news regarding the cut-off score or interview dates? when does PMS usually release such info? cheers

7. Grads

Grads New Member

hey everybody,

the gamsat cut off for sept 2010 entry has been set by peninsula at 64!! rang them up today to find out.

btw, out of the people who applied, who has reached the cut off?

8. med20

med20 New Member

not me, complete waste of £200 and weeks of revision for gamsat, not doing that again

9. Remus

Remus New Member

fortunately, i made the cut-off, but i'm surprised at how high it is this year (highest in PMS history?). thanks for letting us know, btw.

10. AkumA

AkumA New Member

cant believe it... i got 63

11. ilovehotchoclate

ilovehotchoclate New Member

Oo, that's exciting news. Still no word from PMS themselves, but I got 64 so fingers crossed.

12. Grads

Grads New Member

Hey I lovehotchoclate, from your GAMSAT scores it works out as 63.5. Does this mean they round up? Or does it say 64 as your overall mark? Anyways does anyone know if Peninsula just use your overall score or like Notts and St.Georges they add up all your marks and divide them by three?

Thanks for your help guys!

13. ilovehotchoclate

Hi Grads

oo, I didn't realise that :confused: I just re-checked my GAMSAT score on the GAMSAT website and it does say my overall score is 64. I don't know about PMS specifically, but most uni's that take GAMSAT add the scores up both ways and then take the highest. :eek:

14. ilovehotchoclate

And with that... got my interview letter from Peninsula yesterday. It doesn't say what it was, just congratulations on reaching the GAMSAT cut off. It's actually only a holding letter with more details to come end of January and the actual interview will be Feb/Mar time. Made my day though :) good luck.

15. med20

med20 New Member

Got my rejection yesterday, was expected and im kind of glad it came now rather than a rogue ucas email causing me to fret once my interviews are over. Just makes me think of all the things i could i have done with the money i spent on gamsat.

16. chris5656

chris5656 New Member

When I had my interview in 2008, i asked the admin staff this same question. The PMS cut off was 62, whereas Notts was 60 and SGL was 55. The admin staff had no idea that other universities changed their threshholds. They were pretty clueless - they had just set a cut off score when the med school came into existence, and hadnt bothered changing it to account for fluctuations in the number of GAMSAT sitters each year.

In 2008, to get an interview here you needed to be in the top 22% of GAMSAT sitters.

17. AkumA

AkumA New Member

thanks and in 2009 u needed to be in the top 15% which is a joke. :mad:

18. PagingDoctorAwesome

PagingDoctorAwesome New Member

In the March '10 GAMSAT I mustered 63 (94th percentile), hoping to apply to SGUL, Notts and Peninsula. Should I take the GAMSAT again in September to try and boost my score or should I just bide my time and trust that 63 should get me an interview?

19. ilovehotchoclate

It's worth taking it again to see if you can improve, yeah. SGUL and Notts' cut off was 60 this year I think, but Peninsula was 64. It's quite likely that the cut offs will go up for next year. PMS is quite a safe bet to be honest with, if youc an get the score to get the interview there. On the PMS forum on here, Iceman Johndoe has done a really good thread on how to pass the interview, as the interview doesn't really change year on year. Combine that with lots of people dropping out because they leave it quite late to interview and give out results, and that it's a five year course so there's less funding for it, there's much less competion. You get to use the higher of your GAMSAT scores anyway, and although 94th percentile is very good, the cut offs will be based on the September exam - the unis will decide they want to interview ~300 people, so will pick the score that allows them to do that. It's expensive and a pain, but go for it. Congrats on such a good score anyway though :)

20. A2231

A2231 New Member

Any guesses on what might happen to the cut off this year for 2012. I've heard some people speculate that it might come down due to less people applying with the rise of tuition fees. Apparently at the march open day a member of staff suggested as much - fingers crossed.