1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gamsat 2012

Discussion in 'GAMSAT' started by mikuro, Sep 28, 2011.

1. mikuro

mikuro New Member

Hi guys

Thought I'd start a thread to chat with others preparing for GAMSAT 2012 - first time or otherwise!

I'm planning on sitting in March and - depending on my score! - again in September.

I've just started my studying the past two weeks, I'm an arts student so not done any science for ten years or so...steep learning curve for me! Started with chemistry as I get the impression there's lots of that. My plan is to do as much science as possibly by Xmas and see where I am then. Jan-March I will be doing lots of exam questions, practice papers, essay practice etc.

All this while working full time and looking after my son! Not too much pressure then....! ;)

2. Nasher and Basher

Nasher and Basher New Member

Thats my plan as well, March 2012. Have you decided which one you would prefer to do, GAMSAT Australia or Ireland ?

3. mikuro

mikuro New Member

Probably Ireland as it works out cheaper....£304 as opposed to Australia at £351! Could all change when they open new registration however as they could put prices up.
    Aus opens mid October, Ireland early November...!

4. RachelH1

RachelH1 New Member

Hi there

Do you need any materials? I have:

1) Official GAMSAT ACER 3 Books: Practice Test, Sample Questions and Practice Questions
    2) GAMSAT Home-Study Preparation Course Book & Practice Papers, MedPrep, 2008-2009
    3) MCAT Premier Program (Kaplan MCAT Premier Program), 2006 edition
    4) Organic Chemistry for Dummies
    5) Biochemistry for Dummies
    6) Physics for Dummies Workbook
    7) Foundations of Organic Chemistry, Hornby & Peach
    8) Foundation Chemistry, Raffan & Ratcliff
    9) Let's Review: Chemistry, the Physical Setting

I am open to offers.

Rachel

5. Christylux

Christylux New Member

Is there a big difference between the Irish gamsat and the Australian one? Do they take place at different testing centres if you choose to take your test in London?

6. Christylux

Christylux New Member

P.S. I'm also an arts grad studying for the gamsat in March. Hoping to get into University of Wollongong in Australia for 2013. We're moving there from Luxembourg next Spring. They have this terrible rule that your undergrad degree has to be 10 yrs old or less, and my degree is from Jan 2003. So this is my one chance, or I have to do a postgrad degree to be eligible again!

7. mikuro

mikuro New Member

As far as I know there is no massive difference, different papers and questions but that's it I think. Other than the cost of course. I have no idea about the testing centres!

8. Christylux

Christylux New Member

I think I'll register for the Irish one in London. It's annoying that they don't send you a ticket with the location of the testing centre until like 2 weeks before the actual exam.

Anyway, hope all your studying is going well. I'm starting with chem. Not sure if I should do chem one night, then some bio and physics another night etc., or if it's better to plow through all of chem before starting a new subject. What are you all doing?

9. mikuro

mikuro New Member

I started with Chemistry about 3 weeks ago and it's starting to bore me a bit now...! But I think it's better to do all of it for me, as if I leave it at a vital bit and come back to it after learning something else I'll have to go over it all again! Each to their own however. I've just got a huge Organic Chemistry book out the library which wil be next on the list after all this since it's still Chemistry....!

Think I'll leave biology till last as that's what I enjoy most and will find the easiest. I hope. ;)

10. Khaleesi

Khaleesi New Member

Hi! Another 2012 Gamsat-er here! I'm of an arts background too but I did some science studying in the summer, and I've just enrolled on the open university exploring science course which will hopefully get me into the swing of things. I'm definitely taking the September exam and depending on how I feel towards the end of this year I might take the March one as a practice run.

11. Teshan

Teshan Member

There is no harm in taking the March exam as a practice run. The experience will let you know what to expect for September.

12. mikuro

mikuro New Member

Mine is half practice, half I-really-hope-I-get-a-good-mark-so-I-don't-have-to-do-it-again.... ;)

13. Teshan

Teshan Member

Nice one Mikuro. Go in with a relaxed but systematic attitude, so that you finish the questions but don't become too stressed about it.

14. richadam

richadam New Member

Out of interest, what makes you think you can get to the required standard by March (That's a serious question, not me mocking you in any way at all or trying to be sarcastic)?

It's just that, I'm from a Business background, and I am giving myself in the region of 18 months to study... I started about 2 months ago, but got a job, and then I slacked off a little (a lot) - So I'm starting again next week with a structured timetable. I'm planning on working my way through Biology AS then A2 level, and then enrolling on a Chemistry A level in September next year. I don't trust myself to teach myself Chemistry having not studied any sciences for many years now.

How many hours per week and per subject are you planning on doing?

Rich

15. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Different people will prepare in different ways.

I'm from an arts back ground (didn't even have GCSE Bio or Chem) I just studied in my lunch breaks from May to September, using a-level texts and the ACER past papers. That worked for me.

The Chem you need for GAMSAT is not quiet the same Chem you need for A-Level. While some of it is the memorising type you need for A-Level. a lot is having the familiarity / confidence to interpreter scientific data. Personally I found GAMSAT sect III easier than A-Level. But every one is different and so will find it different for them.

16. richadam

richadam New Member

After 'planning' my studies, I think I may enter into 2012 GAMSAT (will make my mind up just before the deadline obviously). Like you guys said, if you do a consistent amount, it need not take too long. After all, we should be all be intelligent folk (apparently).

A quick question away from GAMSAT. What do you lot think about the following... Basically, I achieved a 2.1 from Lancaster University this summer. However, my average was only 57%. This was due to an absolutely shocking second year (I did have personal reasons, and missed large chunks of the year). In my third year, when I was able to apply myself, I averaged a strong 2.1 - I think it was around 67%.

Does this mean I wont be eligible for the 2.1 courses?

Rich

17. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

I never got asked for my transcript so they don't know my mark break down. If you overall degree is a 2.1, you have a 2.1....

PS I'm a Lancaster grad to.

18. richadam

richadam New Member

Excellent news! Eased my worries (slightly). Which College were you in?

Hope your first year is going well!

Rich

19. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

The one and only - County College!

20. AUSKK

AUSKK New Member

Hi, I am looking at sitting the Gamsat in 2012... any tips on prep systems? Good ones? Bad ones?
    Cheers