Foreign med student looking for US Clinical Exp

Hi!

I'm a student of medicine from Spain. It's only my second year but I definitely want to go to the US.

I've been told that US clinical experience is essential to be considered as eligible in a residency program. Is that true?

How could I arrange to have US clinical experience?

Are foreign LORs ever accepted?

Thank you very much for your time.

MedicMark?

Do you get an 'elective' period where you can spend time on your course in another country? Or, do you have long holidays where you could travel abroad for some experience? If so, you need to organise an elective-clerkship with a US hospital during which you can get 1st hand experience of the system and get a LOR from a US physician. Foreign LORs will be accepted but a US one is preferable, I am told.

Get working on the USMLE soon as well!

Noorah

Hi Mark,

This is also something that I would like to do as well. I know you're off to the states. Do you have any tips on where to start when it comes to organising electives? I would like to go to Boston as I have friends there. But would you suggest I just write to any hospital there regarding an elective?

Also as GEP I finish my course just after my final year exams which are in march. Therefore the school say they will not cover me for any elective.
The MDU gives medical student discretionary indemnity insurance. I don't know whether this is sufficient.

May I ask what LOR is? You wrote this in your above post.

Tc and sorry for hijacking this thread

Noorah

MedicMark?

Hi Mark,

This is also something that I would like to do as well. I know you're off to the states. Do you have any tips on where to start when it comes to organising electives? I would like to go to Boston as I have friends there. But would you suggest I just write to any hospital there regarding an elective?

Also as GEP I finish my course just after my final year exams which are in march. Therefore the school say they will not cover me for any elective.
The MDU gives medical student discretionary indemnity insurance. I don't know whether this is sufficient.

May I ask what LOR is? You wrote this in your above post.

Tc and sorry for hijacking this thread

Noorah

Hi,

If you have a friend within the health system it is much easier to organise something unofficially, altho this may mean a place at a less 'impressive' institution. If you are not that fortunate then, yes, write or call different places in the cities you are interested in after having a look at their websites. The large teaching hospitals have websites which advertise the electives they have on offer. Many have formal application processes via their sites and won't welcome you calling or emailing.

The benefits of doing an elective at a big hospital is that you will get didactic teaching thrown in and you will get a LOR from a senior doctor with an impressive title (LOR is a Letter of Recommendation, by the way - in other words a reference).

The downside of some of these programs is that they are harder to get into as they understandably prioritise their own med schools' students above visiting students and often involve a lot of red tape surrounding visas, USMLE scores, and even fees. But not all of them are bad.

An afternoon with a pot of coffee and google should help you narrow down your possible locations.

My school doesn't cover elective placement insurance either. I have the MPS elective indemnity cover which I guess is similar to the MDU one (it's free) and that was ok for me, but it varies from place to place.

Good luck