For all the 'going to be 2nd years'

Kensei

update - the 'official' maps are not really accurate, so maybe this will give u a better picture:

Foresterhill site, zoomed in on Med school, with Legend:
link

Last edited:

keiran91

Brilliant thanks! Just realised since it's now a fully integrated systems based and respiratory and cardio are the two systems we're doing in first year we're going to need to use a steth from first year. Anywhere in Aberdeen or the uni to get them?:(

natamac

For the stethoscope it is probably best to wait until the medic fresher's fayre so you can join the BMA and they have loads of discount steths to buy. And they are in lots of pretty colours. If you need a lab coat for anatomy you can get one from the hub or hillhead shop but there are probably some 2nd years willing to sells theirs.
I would recommend either printing out the route to Foresterhill or buying a map of Aberdeen. I got a good map book from smiths which really helped to get 60 freshers medics to the hospital from Hillhead.
As for pubs the Watering Hole in central building is alright but the Bobbin on King st right near the uni is great for students, especially if you have a lot of friends in Crombie-Johnston. The yellow card is worth the cost of £1 for discounts at the Bobbin and Triple Kirks all year.

Kensei

Yeah keiran, u might need the steth in case they will use Harvey (I think that was his name ;P ) to teach u various types of cardiac rhythm anomalies...

Check these sites out, they offer really cheap steths as compared with mainstream retailers. Best to buy either Littmann or Welch Allyn, and avoid no-name brands - u'll need something solid. These two cost approx 60 quid each, and it will be difficult to get a much better price, even with the aforementioned BMA discount ;-P

Welch Allyn Professional Stethoscope with Black Tubing - Oncall Medical Supplies

3M Littmann Classic II S.E. Stethoscopes: Black - Littmann

Last edited:

natamac

True mine was 70 odd pounds because I got it in this posh bookshop in London, which also sells syringe pens! The Littmann Classic II is good, I think most of our year got that one.
I remember Harvey. Looks really creepy because he even blinks and breathes.

keiran91

Suppose it'll just be better to wait until freshers and buy what is being recommended to me, better than jumping in to it just now and buyig without a clue why i'm buying that particular model!

natamac

That is sensible but it is difficult to resist. It is so exciting starting medical school you want to get everything to look through and use. I got my stethoscope in the August a week after results day and was let loose on my family with it lol

keiran91

Yeh I've already made the mistake of buying 2 books because I was hyper active and naive after getting my offer. :( One of them is on the "essential" books apparently though so not all too bad!

natamac

Which ones did you get? I got Gray's and the anatomy colouring book before I went. Neither are recommend but they are both great books. I do like anatomy.

Kensei

The anatomy coloring book does come in handy... for example now, when I'm sitting at home, bored, waiting to go back to Aberdeen ;-P I almost finished nervous system (going page-by-page)...It's not proper studying so I'm excused ;] It's scary though, how easily we forget simple names few months after using them for the last time (I had to look up the name of 'teres m' even though anatomy of the upper extremity was my thing back in the days :/ )

natamac

Kumar and Clarke seems good but a bit daunting. Scary how much we actually need to learn. I like Gray's. Much bigger pictures and the writing actually matches the pictures and makes sense unlike essential clinical anatomy.
Yes it is quite worrying how much I have forgotten of anatomy since June

keiran91

Yeh it was essential clinical anatomy that Aberdeen recommended, happy with Grays though it looks like a kids picture book. :)

natamac

Grays is so much better but is lacking in the brain anatomy department. Just breifly goes over the blood supply where I expected things on the nuclei and Brodmann areas

Kensei

Actually, only a few Brodmann areas are useful to us at this early stage of med school - and those which we need to know about are mentioned in all serious texts (e.g. primary motor and visual cortices). All anatomy texts have their pros and cons, but there is a fine line between writing a text which is lacking in information and burdening students with unnecessary facts - and funnily enough, that line is mobile, changing position from student to student, depending on their chosen future specialty, current year of study, and personal ambition/curiosity. While Essential Clinical Anatomy might suffice for one, it will take Clinically Oriented Anatomy (almost double the pagecount, same author) to meet the requirements of another. Obviously the style, clarity and organization of facts in any textbook play a huge role too - but that's another discussion ;-P

natamac

I know but neuroanatomy is so fun lol. I was attempting to learn them all just for fun and even got a nice little app for my ipod on the brain.

elz

well that was with trainners on.

does anyone know, the timetable where it says group session, do we just do two of those blocks a week or all of them?