1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

First Thread!

Discussion in 'Plymouth Medical School' started by Martigan, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Has no-one got any comments on our "newest" British medical school? ;)

2. jcak

jcak New Member

I guess I'll settle for second then!

Anyone care to hazard a guess at why they split up from Peninsula to Plymouth and Exeter separately? Were they just expanding? I know next to nothing about them as I'm not eligible for the courses so haven't looked.

3. Cephalosporin

Cephalosporin New Member

I went to Exeter's Open Day and heard whispers of some management issues between the two universities. :( I am quite sad by this really. I've always wanted to apply to PCMD and now have to pick one of the two. @jcak: I can see your mind blowing UKCAT score in your signature. May I ask - why are you not eligible to apply?

4. Dr Noodle

Dr Noodle New Member

Lol nobody knows, lots of rumours about the 'divorce', but nobody knows for sure to be honest =p It's a great shame about the split but Plymouth will be an excellent school. We can't really call it 'new' as they are using the existing teaching methods, exams and resources...for the moment anyway.

5. DrDani

DrDani Member

I've been trying to decide between Plymouth and Exeter, for some reason I find myself leaning more toward Exeter. Is anyone else applying here, or trying to decide between the 2?

6. littleeggy

littleeggy New Member

Hello, I'm a second year student at Exeter Medical School

I would be grateful if you could sign my e-petition http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/68617
    I am a graduate studying on a 5 year medicine degree. I do not receive a tuition fee loan to support me through my 5 year medicine degree. My colleagues on the 4 year GEM courses do. I have created an e-petition to raise awareness about how this is preventing widening participation to medicine for people from diverse and non traditional backgrounds, particularly those from low income families.

I don't expect this will change anything for me, but I am doing this in the hope that future medical students will not be in a position that they will have to turn down a place at medical school because of financial reasons.

As many universities are now slashing their 4 year graduate medicine programmes (Imperials, St George's and I've heard rumours of Leicester too), there are fears that applications will only be possible for the wealthiest graduate students.

Please sign and share the petition. Thank you for your support!

#6 littleeggy, Sep 12, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 29, 2014