1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Finance to Med and I had cancer

Discussion in 'Mature Students' started by Bluepom, Aug 4, 2017.

1. Bluepom

Bluepom New Member

Hi Everyone,

I have seen similar threads from mature applicants and I guess this is just one of them but my dilemma is slightly different. I had an indolent form of blood cancer at 20 and while it is in remission for the past 10 years, my oncologist has already warned me that its in the nature of the disease to relapse.

I have always wanted to do humanitarian-related work but somehow I ended up with a job in the finance industry. I am 30 and after years of thinking my ideal career, I thought of medicine and have been volunteering and doing job shadowing to get a sense of what the job entails. I just finished shadowing a surgery team for a week and while I was initially shocked by what I saw (being in the OR for the first time and the junior doctors had no time to switch off mentally), I liked the problem management aspects of the job. My end goal is to volunteer at organisations like MSF.

So here's the issue: I am concerned the stress from the job and long working hours will trigger the cancer or at the least, leave me with zero energy. My family is apprehensive about my ambition and has asked me to think very carefully since I already have a comfortable job (but it is so dull and not fulfilling). I acknowledge that my energy level is not as high as when I was in my 20s but I think that's because of years working in a desk bound job.

If I don't do medicine, its either staying in the finance industry or changing to another healthcare job but I have explored them all and I feel medicine is the best fit for me.

Will greatly appreciate your input here. Esp from folks who completed their studies in mid 30s and working now, but all comments are welcome!

#1 Bluepom, Aug 4, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2017
  2. AussieBoy

AussieBoy Member

Caveat: I am in general negative about becoming a mature age medical student having done it.

Med school is not stressful, it's the training after that which is.
    I don't have experience of F1 / F2 in the UK but I don't hear good things. Intern / residence here in Australia could not be avoided and was very hard work.
    However, if you want to be a GP and can skip as much of the acute medicine / hospital nonsense as you can then perhaps it makes sense.

The pendulum has well and truly swung away from medicine being a sensible career since I secured my place in 2004 in the UK.

I'd think long and hard about what you will be putting you and your family through and what fate may await you at the end of a long and expensive journey.