failed 1st yr exams

Dr_roo

i was a student at birmingham university studying medicine. i failed some of my exams and being asked to withdraw from the course. i was hoping for some advice on what my options now are and also what other people in my position have done. i would still very much like to be a doctor but been told that my chances at appeal are slim and that it would be unlikely that i would be accepted into any graduate entry course even if i got a 1st degree with honours. any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

kittykat025

this thread was actually discussed on the bham forum (unfortunately things got a little nasty, i recall) anyway, it would be nice to know how ur getting on Dr roo

tomasina

Dr_roo said:
i was a student at birmingham university studying medicine. i failed some of my exams and being asked to withdraw from the course. i was hoping for some advice on what my options now are and also what other people in my position have done. i would still very much like to be a doctor but been told that my chances at appeal are slim and that it would be unlikely that i would be accepted into any graduate entry course even if i got a 1st degree with honours. any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

Hey Dr roo,

I know of 2 people that were in your situation.... they went straight into 2nd year Biomedical Science, got a 2.1 and both of them are studying medicine at different unis: Aberdeen and Newcastle. So you dont have to get a 1st. If you really want to be a doctor, dont give up!

Gizmo says -

yea dont listen to the staff who told you this...

just remember this.
it was ighly likely that they were forced to say this to you to stop you fom appealing and getting back in.

If you'd got back in, then the university wuld be facing an extra fine for aving too many students in your year, and for them, avoiding a substantial fine is far more desirable than elping you out.

Dont listen to those motivated by money.
Listen to those who want to elp you or who are motivated by JUSTICE.

Gizmo says -

it appened at ma local at ST., Gorges.

those who were told not to appeal, then didnt bother, and left to do Bscs.
This guy in ther office, Philip Brown, was the fall guy there. He wuz chosen to do persuade peeple not to appeal, so he has to sit in with stoodents basically ltying his ass off to them telling them they wuld not mek it if they tried to appeal. lying *astard.

Now those who stuck by their appeals DID get in the year after or the year after that, even thoough most of them that psuhed for appelaing had failed by far more marks and used contrived excuses.... unlike the ones that left the course.

cakelover

Sorry, I haven't got any answers for you. I hope that someone has some more relevant advice for you. Good luck and best wishes. My friends have just done their first year resits so I can empathize with you.

chicken66

Lol, yes C in Music and PE, and originally English Language, retaken to a B.

Got an offer for school leavers medicine in 2001/2002, an offer for Grad entry in both 2004/2005 and 2005/2006.