1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Entry routes to Dentistry

Discussion in 'Access to Medicine' started by Densteban, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Densteban

Densteban New Member

Hi everyone. I hope you're all well.

So, here's my situation. I am currently 21 years old. These are my grades:

GCSEs (2010): 1A, 5Bs, 2Cs, 2Ds
    A-Levels (2013): CEE (Business studies, Biology, Chemistry)

I know my grades are bad. I blame this on very poor work ethic/family issues.

I've been working for the last two years as well as pursuing an AAT Level 2 course via long distance. I have almost finished the course, and although I find it interesting, I've now realised I won't be satisfied if I don't complete my "life's task": what I am meant to accomplish. To become a dentist.

I've contacted universities in regard to access courses and how many years out of education is required.

I see two options:

1. Start an access to science course sept. 2015, study DH&T and then apply for Dentistry via graduate entry

2. Start an access to medicine and dentistry course CWA sept. 2016 and apply for universities that accept this course.

Option 2 can only be done next year due to a lack of work experience and funds. Can you guys advise on which option would be the best route for me.

Thank you.

2. Densteban

Densteban New Member

Update:

I recently attended an open day at CWA to find out more about their Access to Medicine and Dentistry course.
    The work experience requirements do not seem strict. I was told it was more so for Universities to look at rather than an entry requirement onto the course (minimum of six months experience). The tutor I met was very helpful.

I have booked my UKCAT test, and if I achieve a decent score, coupled with relevant work experience, I shall apply for the Access course with CWA this year.