Entry routes to Dentistry

Discussion in 'Access to Medicine' started by Densteban, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Densteban

Densteban New Member

Hi everyone. I hope you're all well.

So, here's my situation. I am currently 21 years old. These are my grades:

GCSEs (2010): 1A, 5Bs, 2Cs, 2Ds
    A-Levels (2013): CEE (Business studies, Biology, Chemistry)

I know my grades are bad. I blame this on very poor work ethic/family issues.

I've been working for the last two years as well as pursuing an AAT Level 2 course via long distance. I have almost finished the course, and although I find it interesting, I've now realised I won't be satisfied if I don't complete my "life's task": what I am meant to accomplish. To become a dentist.

I've contacted universities in regard to access courses and how many years out of education is required.

I see two options:

1. Start an access to science course sept. 2015, study DH&T and then apply for Dentistry via graduate entry

2. Start an access to medicine and dentistry course CWA sept. 2016 and apply for universities that accept this course.

Option 2 can only be done next year due to a lack of work experience and funds. Can you guys advise on which option would be the best route for me.

Thank you.

2. Densteban

Densteban New Member

Update:

I recently attended an open day at CWA to find out more about their Access to Medicine and Dentistry course.
    The work experience requirements do not seem strict. I was told it was more so for Universities to look at rather than an entry requirement onto the course (minimum of six months experience). The tutor I met was very helpful.

I have booked my UKCAT test, and if I achieve a decent score, coupled with relevant work experience, I shall apply for the Access course with CWA this year.