1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Electives in america for international students

Discussion in 'Medical Electives, Working Abroad and Travelling' started by iem, Jan 15, 2008.

1. iem

iem New Member

Hi,

I've been trying to look for hospitals/medical schools in USA that will accept international students - can anyone help me? so far ive only managed to find two hospitals, one in florida and another in texas, but they've said that they cannot promise me a place until about a month from the elective period! Any suggestions? =( Thanks.

2. ndc2006

ndc2006 New Member

Is this your actual clinical fifth year elective? Or is it a summer research position? If it is the former then there are a huge number of universities in the states that take fifth years on their electives. Harvard for one take about 150 people a year i think.

If it's a summer thing then it's a little trickier. I've managed to get in to Johns Hopkins this summer but only through extreme perseverance. I basically looked up the heads of dept of the uni website and emailed about 10 people asking if they'll take me and eventually I got a reply. What school/hospital/speciality are you wanting to do an elective in?

3. tkk

tkk New Member

hi thanks for the info i just wanted to ask how long before the elective period did you apply.Im interested in a position between october 2008 and jan 2008

4. embyronicdoc

embyronicdoc New Member

hello iem,

perhaps you should concentrate your efforts on one state per time, i think theres this uni, Uni os southern california, check it up.

5. mullanyman7

mullanyman7 New Member

hey there - ive also been stuggling to find an elective in USA for this summer. I've tried all the california unis - none of them except Lpool students as they only accept final year students and as we do our elective in 3rd not 4 year - its a no win situation. UCLA said they would offer me one but only in the fall as all summer elective are reserved for american students! oh well
    good luck!