Elective

Scottish_Medic

Hi! I was just wondering if anyone from the UK has ever done an elective at John Hopkins? If so, how did you go about applying (did you apply to a visiting internship or did you contact a member of the faculty directly?), did you have to meet specific academic requirements (i.e. did you have to have straight As at uni or were you expected to sit the USMLE?), was it really competitive and was the elective more expensive than the other medics in your year who decided to go abroad?
Any advice would be realy great, thanks!

stargazer

All the relevant information can be found here: -

Visiting Student Policy

According to http://www.hopkinsmedicine.org/som/VisMedStd/VisitingStudentPolicyWeb2.pdf

you can only do a clinical elective if you are attending an LCME approved medical school (US/Canada) OR your home medical school has a formal affiliation with Hopkins.

There doesn't seem to be the same restriction on Research Electives.

As I'm sure you're aware parts of Baltimore are very sketchy!

There were 276 homicides in Baltimore in 2006, the second-highest homicide rate per 100,000 of all U.S. cities of 250,000 or more inhabitants. Though this is significantly lower than the record-high of 353 homicides in 1993, the homicide rate in Baltimore is nearly seven times the national rate, six times the rate of New York City, and three times the rate of Los Angeles.

Good for Trauma :)

Last edited:

Scottish_Medic

Hi, thanks for the info. That's really helpful. Yeah, it was really a research elective that I was interested in. Although, just out of curiosity are there any other american unis which allow UK students to undertake a clinical elective or would you have to apply directly to the hospital you'd like to go to?
Thanks again :)

agneishd

Hi, thanks for the info. That's really helpful. Yeah, it was really a research elective that I was interested in. Although, just out of curiosity are there any other american unis which allow UK students to undertake a clinical elective or would you have to apply directly to the hospital you'd like to go to?
Thanks again :)
You can contact a member of staff, and then apply for a J-1 visa to be able to conduct research there as far as I know.