Edinburgh medics - help?!?!

Discussion in 'Edinburgh Medical School' started by Meg456, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Meg456

Meg456 New Member

Hello,
    I'm going to be sudying medicine this september at either Edinburgh or Dundee. Trouble is, I'm having a really hard time making a decision between the two! I know at the end of the day it's up to me to decide, but was just wondering if anyone from the medical school could answer a couple of questions to help me reach a desicion?
    Firstly, if you were going to persuade me to come to Edinburgh what would you say?
    And, if you were going to dissuade me, what would you say?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks,
    Megan

2. soffee

soffee New Member

Okay so I'm a first year medic at Edinburgh, I don't really fancy launching into a big david cameron-style selling pitch, here's my overview.

Edinburgh itself - gorgeous city, great transport links, pretty much everything you need is within walking distance (shops, restaurants, clubs, cinema, theatre, gym, volcano)...
    Campus - for medics, all the classes are either in Bristo Square (google-maps it) or the Royal Infirmary Hospital. Bristo is a maximum 20 minute walk from all student accomodation and the hospital is a half hour bus ride or you can use the free shuttle bus however it only stops by at hourly intervals. There's also a great university library and gym, and a well-equipped student union.
    Timetable - personal preference really. On average, 2 or 3 lectures a day between 9am and 1pm. Afternoons are taken up by PBL twice a week, and then depending on the week you could have 3 afternoons off or none. Anatomy practicals, tutorials, microbiology practicals and clinical skills are held in the afternoon.
    Course - Pretty darn good, however again, it's down to personal preferance. Semester 1 was kinda bitty as they were trying to get everyone up to the same level, so lots of topics were covered in not much detail. Semester 2 is looking at each system in detail - ie cardiovascular, respiratory, musculoskeletal and personally I've enjoyed this a lot more. Lectures in the morning teach you the theory, afternoon stuff builds on this through practical work and group discussion.

Accomodation is fairly specific to where you live, so I can't really give a fair overview of that. Any more question, just message me.
    Sophie x

3. Meg456

Meg456 New Member

Thanks so much!! I think I'm going to accept Edinburgh...so glad I'm finally almost settled on one haha. I've just mailed you with a couple more questions. x