e-registering...?!!

AbdnGradPL

so that's it, summer's over... I'm back in deen on Friday. Will b a busy day though, lots of runnin aboot with certificates, addresses, and whatnot. Good initiative, natamac :)

lil-lauren

Uh i'm here already but I'll be moving in on the 20th to halls! I went to see them last night so I could figure out how to get there by road rather than walking through the park. That would be fun times with suitcases and boxes! I'm still kindof sad that we have halls.... those cardboard box palaces sounded awesome. I'd rather have en-suite though...!

natamac

I am moving in on the 20th too but probably fairly late as I am flying up from Luton. The cardboard village would have been fun, I could have contributed 4 old suitcases.
So maybe the best day to meet up would be sunday before all the hardcore partying and mystery tours start. You will soon find that I am super organisational lol. (and can't spell)

Eilidh McIntyre

Hehe. Maybe lauren or AbdnGradPL know somewhere that might be good to meet? Since they are the experts :D

And yeah, sunday sounds like a good idea!

natamac

Haha that's a good idea, they can give us the grand tour of Aberdeen or maybe just find somewhere good to go.

AbdnGradPL

I believe that lil-lauren might b more up to date with good venues in abdn, since my 3 years of BSc didn't involve an awful lot of nights/days-out - but we can give this a try :]

well, since Lauren mentioned Kilau once, I could support this idea also, it being such a cool place. Can't remember how many ppl they can seat at one table though - the worst scenario, we'll dissociate into smaller 'working groups' (working our ways through a cappucino or macchiato :p ) - that's my idea for a non-alcoholic gettogether. But when it comes to beer/drinks... anything goes, really. Bobbin would b the most convenient for most, while Revolution/Bassment/Archies all have their own specific climates, which might suit some more than others, and all are within Union area..

PS. Aw, I gotta change this screen name of mine, it sounds so *official* when someone actually mentions it! :p I'll go for sumthin' on the cool side, e.g. the-chillout-man :p

Last edited:

AbdnGradPL

Just a side note - all soon-to-be 1st years, if u haven't already done so, I strongly encourage u to check out the Medi-CAL resource page in the Student section of Medicine homepage (if u finished the e-registration already, that is). Practically every sub-page of this website is full of information directly relevant to the course. I downloaded something like 7 PDF guides already and the first lecture on cells and molecules (Monday 29th of Sep) is also available for download there. Furthermore, tons of MCQs, tips, the announcements board, u name it. What many might find to be of particular interest is a document entitled 'What I wish I had known (at the beginning of Phase I) ' - it's to b found at the bulletin boards/Phase I/

peace :)
Rob

natamac

Kilau did sound nice but maybe busy at times.
Medi-cal is really good, I didn't realise how much is on there. Thanks for the tip chillout man :)

lil-lauren

Oh Archies.... so many fond memories.... burger and beer for £4!!Good times! Supposedly heaps of medics go there, i've met quite a few at the bar too. The biggest table at Kilau only seats 6 but i'm sure we could join some up!

AbdnGradPL

Lauren - it's a funny thing, that med portal. It doesnt require a full e-reg (I still didn't do the financial bit) - but it doesn't come online for some time after u register for a computer account. I checked it 10 days after my e-reg and it was online- just use the login u've been given at e-reg (something along the lines of u02xy8, where xy are your initials - thats the basic format anyway) - and your chosen password.. the uni IT services occasionally choose to crash, though.

elz

whats medi-cal. ? has anyone been able to get on webct? it says once ur registered u can get on there, but does that mean e-registered or ID card registered at uni? because i cant get on there.

natamac

medi-cal has pdfs and info on lecture notes and supporting material with a forum and probably some other things too. I think you can access it from the for students section on the aberdeen medicine site. What is webct, I don't think I have heard of that one.

elz

o, il have a look. webct was under the student bit, it usually has copies of lectures and presentations on and homework questions etc but i dont know what they use it for, i assume its usual stuff like that but i aint got on it yet so dunno! we had it at college though

AbdnGradPL

First thing I'd do would be checking whether u can log onto your student portal :

http://www.abdn.ac.uk/studentportal/

(** u'll need your ID, login name, and password for that **)

This is because we are first registered by university DIT, and only after that u're through to be processed by medical school IT services.

Check if your details are all correct (addresses, telephones, personal info) and whether u're listed as a Med student (under the Education tab)

If they made a mistake and u arent - contact them through the help section available at Student Portal.

On the other hand, if u can't log into your Student Portal at all, that would mean that your e-registration was not successful/has not been processed yet. U could theoretically contact the Registry services if you're concerned.. but u shouldn't be, really. As long as the e-reg is complete (all 4 sections of the university emblem are coloured and there's nothing left to click on) u should b fine.

PS. Check your studentmail account regularly if u can access it, important messages may be delivered even before they officially commence teaching - it's the one ending with @aberdeen.ac.uk, accessed through 'Students' section of abdn.ac.uk

Hope this helps a bit..

Last edited: