Duke Elder Prize Examination

Sajini

Has anyone ever done this paper before? If so, how did you find it - I'm going to sit it this year, to try my luck!

Is anyone else revising for this?

If so, how's it going?

Duke Elder Prize

Hi,
I'm thinking of taking this exam in May too! I haven't had any ophthalmology teaching but it looks like a pretty good career so taking the exam can't hurt. Can you recommend any textbooks?

Cheers,
Jon

karnesh

I've done it

Hi. I sat the Duke Elder back in my 4th year (only because I never knew it existed till then!). As I only found out about it a few weeks before the exam, I couldn't do much revision as I was already on elective. It's fairly hardcore for us students, as we do minimal ophthalmology during our training unless we're interested.

Books-wise, I'd recommend basic ophthalmology books that cover physiology, anatomy, pathology. I'd also go over your head and nack anatomy/physiology/pathology (it comes up a little too). If you want big books, then Clinical Ophthalmology by Kanski will probably cover it all for you.

I came somewhere in the 100's if I remember correctly. There were around 700 people taing it in the UK that year, so not too shabby, especially considering the short time I had. If you're starting now for next year, I'd expect you to do very well.

Eljeha

counting down....

Hiya... just 2 more days b4 the Duke Elder exam... just wondering if anyone has any last minute tips/advice? Kinda started my revision very last minute ... just aiming not to be the bottom last :cool:

Anyway, good luck to anyone taking the paper...

karnesh

Well, it's been a long time since I sat my Duke Elder so I can't remember specifics. However, if you've covered the head and neck in good details from all aspects (anatomy, physiology, pathology, pharmacology...etc...), as well as having a good grasp of general body basic sciences, you'll probably be ok.

Being multiple choice questions, the good news is that that answer is in front of you. You just need to choose it. Depending on how much prep you've done, this can range from guessing to knowing the answer without thinking. Generally you'll tend to fall in-between, where you can dismiss a few options pretty quickly, and then use your knowledge and instincts to "educatively guess" the answer.

I tend to find that my first educated guess is generally right, and that second guessing myself later is bad. But that may just be me. If you've found that your hunches in the past are generally right as you've remembered something unconsciously, then stick with this strategy.

If you are stuck on a question, don't just sit on it. Leave it and move on for the moment, rather than waste time where you could be picking up points on other questions. When you finish the paper and checked over your other answers, then go back and have a crack at those you haven't done in the time remaining. This is a tactic that is also useful for Finals papers, as well as any other paper you may sit in the future (where you are allowed to go back to previous sections and review answered questions/answer empty ones).

As a final note, make sure you are rested and refreshed the night before. Many a time have I crammed till the last minute and found that i'm so panicked my mind goes blank. You will benefit more from a good few hours sleep, and approaching the exam in a focused, calm manner.

Good luck,

Karnesh

Tdevil

Yep im sitting it! Im an optician and a first yr accelerated medic at newastle havent done too much work yet so panicing a bit but hopefully should be ok, can always sit it again next year!

karnesh

Duke Elder

It's been ages since I took the exam (7 years if I remember correctly), so unfortunately don't remember anything useful I could tell you. I have a feeling though (as it's an undergrad exam), that if you know your basic sciences (inc. pharmacology...etc...), and put an ophthalmic slant on it, you'll probably be fine.

And you can take it every year until you graduate if you're not happy with your ranking this year :p

Well, better go. I'm preparing for the FRCOphth Part 1 due in just over a week.

Good Luck Tdevil (and anyone else!)

jackie09

Results

Hi, I sat the exam this year does anyone know when the results are out or if they are out already how I can find out.
Many thanks
Jackie

cosmocat

Results

Hi there,

I emailed about this last week - there's no set date but they expect to be able to release them around early July. Earlier than I was thinking!

We then apparently contact the secretary at our med schools who helped organise the exam.

Glad to be of help!

tsp_uk

Ah they still haven't sent out the results yet, any ideas what date?

What did you all think about the exam? I hated the paediatric test section, didn't know anything about it at all.

Tdevil

Im came 24th so well chuffed. the two other people i knew taking it failed though. they didnt evenge a ranking or a pass mark so no idea how many people passed/failed

That is amazing Tdevil! Congratulations on your awesome placing, though I must admit I am deeply envious lol! By the way, what textbook did you use to study for this examination? I learnt Lectures Notes for Ophthalmology but I must say, this book really covered topics really superficially.

Lyra

88th place lol . . . hopefully improve for next year.
Weird - I was right behind you at 89. What are the chances of that...?

Tdevil, well done - great result!

Not sure how my colleagues got on, apart from one who was in the top 20. Would also be interesting to know our marks - my letter just said ranking.

Tdevil

That is amazing Tdevil! Congratulations on your awesome placing, though I must admit I am deeply envious lol! By the way, what textbook did you use to study for this examination? I learnt Lectures Notes for Ophthalmology but I must say, this book really covered topics really superficially.
I used Kanski for the clinical stuff, covers everything