Does Oxford look at voluntary work very much?

Discussion in 'Oxford Medical School' started by Chloee172, Jul 3, 2012.

1. Chloee172

Chloee172 New Member

I know that many med schools like students to have had a long term voluntary role at an old people's home/ hospital etc., but would there be any disadvantage if I didn't have any? My grades were 12a*s and 1a at GCSE, and predicted AAAAA at AS-level, and I have already done a year at a charity shop and 3 weeks work experience, and I'm worried that not having voluntary work in a caring environment will lower my chances of getting into medicine at Oxford?
    Thanks very much :)

2. jcak

jcak New Member

"You need to be sure that Medicine is the right choice for you. These pages will help you work that out, but there’s no better way to find out for sure than by gaining insight of medical practice by seeing it in action and talking to those who provide healthcare"

Call up the university to see whether or not you'll stand a chance (+44 (0)1865 288000) as you can explain your situation to them and they can guide you from there.

As medicine is such a competitive area with one of the most competitive courses out there, there are bound to be people with similar CV's to you who also have voluntary work in a caring environment. Whilst not having this experience won't disadvantage you so much as not advantage you over others, it is possible to ask why you want to do medicine and how, without having any long term experience (to show commitment), you know what a course such as this entails.

You can always begin to volunteer in a care home even if it's just talking to the residents and put that down on your Personal Statement which is much better than nothing. Better late than never as they say.

3. Endeavour

Endeavour New Member

Hey. As with any other medical school oxford will take into account any extra work you have done but they do understand that sometimes it is hard to find placements (as i read on the website). Im only in AS at the moment, I'll be applying to med school this year and have managed to get myself some placements in hospitals and I also do a fair bit of community work (which i've done for years) but they understand that everyone's situation is different.

Are you currently in year 12 or 13?

4. jcak

jcak New Member

I know this is an old thread, but as Endeavour brought it back to our attention there's one thing I didn't mention.

As Endeavour said it can be hard to find placements (particularly in large hospitals), however its not hard to volunteer. Join the Red Cross or St John Ambulance, they bring you into contact with patients, give you good clinical experience and show your caring nature. On top of that you get qualifications such as a First Aid at Work paid for, you could potentially save lives, and you should find it incredibly rewarding.

5. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

I can second what Jcak says. I became a Community First Responder with St Johns, and supported the London Ambulance Service. It gav me great experience which helped me both with my application and with my education as its relevant experience. I'm still volunteering now, but directly for the South East Coast Ambulance Service.