1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Doctor or Physician Associate?

Discussion in 'Mature Students' started by Samantha2016, Dec 6, 2016.

1. Samantha2016

Samantha2016 New Member

Hi, I'm posting this here in the hope there may be some doctors or physician associates around!

I'm currently a nurse, but for as long as I can remember I've always wanted to be a doctor but told myself I had no chance and wasn't smart enough. Anyhow, I've decided I should just go for it so I at least know I've tried!

However, today I found out about Physician Associates. The job seems great and very similar to that of a doctor, so I wanted to ask if anyone here was a phys associate and if they enjoy the job? And if there are any doctors who, if they could go back, would have preferred to have saved time and student debts by being a phys associate instead?

If I choose to be a phys associate then I only need to do 2 distance learning a-levels next year, but if I go for trying to be a doctor it's 3 I need to do. While working full time as I'm a single mother who can't afford to reduce hours. I'm worried doing 3 will be near impossible.

Any thoughts or advice welcome.

2. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Think about what it is you want about being a doctor?

With a PA meet those needs?

A PA does qualify faster and cheaper to qualify. You can get a level of independence faster that a full Doctor.
    The PA's I gave seen do run their own clinics, but under the supervision of a consultant.

However, I'm not sure you have the same level of choice as a Doc, if there is a particular specialty you desire.

In terms of working conditions and pay, a PA does seem better than a junior doctor job!
    But a junior doctor won't stay a junior doctor...

3. David Johnson

David Johnson New Member

I believe some nurses have the same level of responsibility as PA. It could be cheaper to develop in your nursing role, than go in a new direction IMHO.

lottie610 likes this.