1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Current Medical Issues

Discussion in 'Medical School Interviews' started by jay-mob, Nov 30, 2005.

1. jay-mob

jay-mob New Member

Hey guy's and gal's hows going, well i am too lazy to browse each newspaper and stuff so i wanted to make a page where everybody can write some current medical issues (with opinion if you have any) so they can prepare it for the interview and so everybody knows whats happening in the medical world.

the only thing which i know of:

Bird Flu in Britain (obvious however important, my opinion britain reacted to late with the caging of birds, however people have different opinions).

Not enough Flu vaccines( same opinion as above)

Waiting list on NHS and death among patients due to wrong diagnosis.

HIV and generally all sexual transmitted diseases are rapidly spreading.

if you have anything else go for it

2. allahuakbar3

allahuakbar3 New Member

It seems that u r the 1 whose gna help me out here,um can u please tell me more abt the wrong diagnosis thingy(wow does that actually happen?)and the spread of HIV ( I mean that's always been an issue, any thing new im missin out?! )
    thnks a bunch.
    PS
    *I remembered some thing about the statin drug and the argument that should doctors give it to patients with the RISK of coronary heart disease and pay for the cost or wait for the patient to have the disease first then give statin to them.
    *the thing abt uk being ready for a pandemic
    Hope that helps...

3. jay-mob

jay-mob New Member

Yeah it does happen indeed up here in scotland for example we had a case some months ago where a girl died she said she felt some pain and the only prescription she received was paracetamol after three days she died i dont remember the whole story but the doctor was sued i still dont know the outcome yet however such things happen for sure. I need to get some more infor about that case i will keep you informed. I can't find the link yet though.

Yeah The HIV has reached its peak in the last decade i will send you more infro from the wiki page look under Epidemiology or the direct link of aids pandemic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aids
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIDS_pandemic.

I hope that helps for the time being.

#3 jay-mob, Nov 30, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  4. Virus_Tamer

Virus_Tamer New Member

As far as Flu vaccines are concerned, we ran out because people were asking for human influenza vaccine thinking it would protect them from H5N1 (avian flu), which it wouldn't. It's been said that GPs have been irresponsibly dishing out vaccine to those who don't need it (i.e. those with immune systems strong enough to shake it off should they catch it).

There are also some who say that Tamiflu will be completely useless anyway if H5N1 mutates to a form which can be spread from human to human. Others say that we're ignoring the real threat and that a different strain of avian flu, H7N7, could cause the real pandemic.

As for HIV, it used to be thought of only as a disease of homosexuals, because it spreads most readily through homosexual intercourse. However, the majority of new cases are now caught through heterosexual intercourse, and there are roughly 30,000 sufferers of HIV in the UK, and about 30-40 million worldwide I think.

Just my 2 pennyworth.. :)

5. rachelm

rachelm New Member

6. rachelm

rachelm New Member

7. charliedavis

charliedavis New Member

hey, tried to post earlier but didn't work...........

A few ideas:

Access to unlicenced anti-cancer drugs is in the media a lot at the mo where certain PCTs are giving the go ahead to use.......bit of a postcode lottery.

Which disease areas should be included in GMS contracts? Certain diseases are not included such as osteoporosis (although under review) so the GPs do not get points for the treatment of this area. Does this mean that it could be overlooked compared to diseases such as hypertension, diabetes etc that score highly.

Confidence in using mostly new/newish drugs where some side effects are unknown eg Viox and heart attacks

Just trying to do anything instead of revising for anatomy!

8. Nanzay

Nanzay New Member

Glasgow Interview

I have my Glasgow interview tomorrow - any tips? Oh dear, reading what everyone else said doesn't really make me feel that much better :confused: - I'm really dreading what they'll ask me! I've heard that they're nasty at Glasgow, but everyone else seems to disagree here!

9. NorthernLight

NorthernLight New Member

A word of caution....

Just a word of caution - if you talk about bird flu, make sure you know what it is, where it is and how dangerous (or not) it is. People aren't going to be impressed by a tabloid inspired answer about how we're all about to die... That says you've seen a headline rather than you've taken an interest in a current medical issue.

Also, be careful talking about wrong diagnoses.... again, you'll see headlines about it but it can be more complicated than it looks. Doctors make mistakes (who doesn't?) but whether it would count as a current medical issue? It's not a new thing... and it might lead them into asking you to explain what you would do if you made a mistake and it might just turn into a chat you really don't want to have!

If it were me, I'd talk about the recent case of a patient demanding Herceptin from her PCT and being refused.... or the issue of Flu vaccine running out - again, depending on who you listen to this could be anyone's fault, from govt. to GP's to patients....! But it seems unlikely that GP's would be giving it out without thinking, and much as it is always nice to blame the govt. they don;t actually order flu vaccines, it's left to individual GP practices..... part of the problem is the time it takes to make the vaccine (about 6 months I think?) so Gp's order it in the Spring, and so if everyone suddenly wants their dose in November having not bothered asking for it before, the numbers might just not add up...

#9 NorthernLight, Nov 30, 2005
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  10. jay-mob

jay-mob New Member

Sorry i have to disagree i dont read tabloids. :mad:

#10 jay-mob, Nov 30, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
  11. jay-mob

jay-mob New Member

oh yeah i was shocked about that part however some people never had a face but i dont know this is a very serious issue because our face is our personality (for maybe the only) or well some of it for others.

#11 jay-mob, Nov 30, 2005
    Last edited: Dec 1, 2005
  12. Nanzay

Nanzay New Member

Yeah, I was thinking about talking about the face transplants - coz there's not that much out about it yet, so I can cover whet people do know and hopefully they won't know too much about it! Oh well - hopefully it'll be ok - what's the chances of not being asked about a current issue? *looks hopeful* Wish me luck guys!

13. BubblePop

BubblePop New Member

I recommend that you read the papers or listen to the radio (e.g. radio 4). They have debates on these issues and target them from all view points. If you do pay attention to them, it will be difficult for you to avoid many of the perspectives that people have on the issue. Some papers etc will only give one view. Choose a reliable source. Remember, interviewers will also be looking to see how wide your scope is on a topic that they introduce to the interview.

14. jay-mob

jay-mob New Member

hm its 50 50 either they might give a current issue and you may be sittin there blank-minded or you have to give one on your own.

15. Nanzay

Nanzay New Member

They asked me about an issue I didn't know that much about, so I was just honest and said that I didn't know about it in enough detail, so they left it at that. I didn't see any point in waffling bout something I didn't know about! The rest of it was fine tho and that's it over :D

16. jay-mob

jay-mob New Member

what was the issue?

17. Nanzay

Nanzay New Member

Something about cancer patients and them sueing the health board for not getting treatmeant they want or something - I had heard something along those lines, but not very much about it!

18. jay-mob

jay-mob New Member

awwww poor you

19. Nanzay

Nanzay New Member

It's cool - it doesn't matter - that way I got a chance to display my honesty lol! But I was like totally prepared to talk about face transplants :rolleyes: , which I wanted them to ask me about - but I'll know about that for the next one or I'll know how to move the conversation round to there anyway!

20. jay-mob

jay-mob New Member

yeah well thats tru u will be prepared for the next one