1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College of West Anglia - Access to Medicine 2012 Entry

Discussion in 'Access to Medicine' started by OllieF, Sep 11, 2011.

1. OllieF

OllieF New Member

Well, since the 2011/2012 course starts tomorrow, I thought I'd start the 2012/2013 thread!

Most, if not all, of the questions people may have can be answered by looking through the previous thread, but I thought I'd collate common questions/answers in this first post, to make things easier for people.

Course Information: The best post I've found on general course information can be found at http://www.newmediamedicine.com/forum/access-medicine/55557-sammys-guide-cowa-access-medicine-course.html.

Entry Requirements: Though I'm sure most people who're looking at this thread know it already, this is a link to the CoWA A2M (Access to Medicine) course entry requirements: Access to Medicine - Entry Requirements

Accepting Medical Schools: The following medical schools are down on the CoWA website as accepting the A2M course:
    1. University of Aberdeen
    2. Brighton and Sussex Medical School
    3. University of Cambridge
    4. Cardiff University
    5. Durham University
    6. University of East Anglia
    7. Edinburgh University
    8. King's College London
    9. Hull York Medical School
    10. Keele University
    11. University of Leeds
    12. Leicester Medical School
    13. University of Liverpool
    14. University of Manchester
    15. Newcastle University
    16. Oxford University
    17. UCL
    18. Sheffield University
    19. University of Southampton
    20. St. Andrews

This thread is very much a work in progress; as the academic year rolls on, I'll try and keep this initial post as up-to-date as possible with information from past and present students at CoWA.

Best of luck to the 2011/2012 cohort! :)

2. Michaelrobinson

Michaelrobinson New Member

Cowa so far

just thought id take a break from the masses of work i have, to update any perspective access to medicine students for the 2012-2013 cohort.

The course so far is really quite enjoyable, in my opinion. The work is non stop and it promises to only become more intense after the Christmas break. This half term really isn't a half term for access to med students as we have to prepare a literature review for our Projects, which is mostly self directed.

my advice to all perspective students is get the "head start to a level..." books for each of the core subjects, bio, chem and physics. it will prepare you for what you will be learning from the get go. also if you are feeling a bit more adventurous get the OCR physics books, Jim the physics teacher teachers pretty much directly from this book.

Helen the course director is a really nice lady however don't get on her bad side as it wont be pleasant. you really need her to endorse you otherwise its not good news for you. one final piece of advice, get cracking with UKCAT prep now, Helen will tell you straight up your likely hood of getting into medical school if you get a poor UKCAT score... basically unlikely. i would aim for a score of 700+ but 600+ will put you at about average.

Best of luck to everyone, its a great course, great people and lots of fun. let me know if you have any questions.

3. yamazaki

yamazaki New Member

you don't have time to break! get back to work

4. Danhutton88

Danhutton88 New Member

I received my letter offering me a place on monday. As soon as payday rolls around ill be sending that badboy off. Along with my hard earned pennies :( quick question though, if i am going to CoWA 2012, to apply that year for entry to uni 2013, when should i be taking the UKCAT? i can't find any clear answers ;S

5. Michaelrobinson

Michaelrobinson New Member

You need to take the UKCAT before October 3rd 2012. i would recommend you take it in mid august before you come to COWA.

6. Danhutton88

Danhutton88 New Member

Oh thank god. I thought i had missed the deadline. Thats a load off. :)

7. OllieF

OllieF New Member

Got my letter too Dan, also waiting till payday to part with the hard-earned cash!

8. Danhutton88

Danhutton88 New Member

This year cant pass quickly enough. I applied in 2010 after thourough research, nd now i have the letter and the place, its all so real! Next big step is actually getting into uni. But we shall take these things as we come. When should be the right time to start looking at accomodation for the year?

9. delta9

delta9 New Member

I have just applied to start in 2012 have many other people applied yet.

10. CJT

CJT New Member

Hi delta9, I've applied for 2012 entry too (submitted Thursday 10th November, if memory serves). They say that they will get back to you within 4 weeks of submitting your application, so I guess that means by the 8th of December at the latest for me. Which interview slot did you select? I went for January.

CJT

11. delta9

delta9 New Member

Hi Cjt, I submitted mine on the the 15th November. I to selected the January slot. Good luck CJT i will post on here if i get an interview.

Delta9

12. OllieF

OllieF New Member

Dan, I think I'm going to try and get to King's Lynn for an initial look at accommodation in April/May/June time. Hopefully some of the 2011 cohort won't mind me having a nose around their flats/houses to help me make up my mind!

:)

13. CJT

CJT New Member

The students that were currently living in the houses that I had tours of were all lovely (especially 13 Tennyson road). They were also really helpful in terms of offering the really practical information that you just won't find on the website. I don't know what you're expecting from the accomodation there, but every room I saw was far bigger than I expected and certainly bigger than the average student room at Durham. I am a little shocked at how expensive the rent is over there though, the average seems to be about £80 - £90 (when taking into account internet and utilities) which is considerably more than I was expecting.

CJT

#13 CJT, Nov 24, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 24, 2011
  14. OllieF

OllieF New Member

That's about the amount I've budgeted for accommodation due to the 'down-southness' of Kings Lynn, so at least I can keep saving up for it!

15. Danhutton88

Danhutton88 New Member

I agree. I've had a sum in mind that's probably a tad more costly than living up north. Plus the train ride down isn't exactly cheap! However, this is all an investment in self. But if anyone goes to have a spy of some accommodation and fancies sharing with a young former serviceman, give me a holla :)

16. em777

em777 New Member

Hi all, this may be a tad premature, but I am planning on applying for 2013 entry to the coWA access to medicine programme; from what I can gauge online, this seems to be the most widely accepted and respected course of its kind. Rent however, sounds expensive compared to here even! Would love to know how you all find the course etc. Good luck!

17. yamazaki

yamazaki New Member

expensive?? I pay £300 all inclusive in king's lynn. i think that's super cheap, especially when you factor in the massive rooms as mentioned above and living 2 minutes from college (zero travel costs)

18. Danhutton88

Danhutton88 New Member

Thats what i estimated about. i know theres a tesco just down the road too. supeeeeerrrr nooooddddllleeesss!!!

19. yamazaki

yamazaki New Member

swing by between 6-8 for the hot deals...

20. Danhutton88

Danhutton88 New Member

this is why i signed up to this sight. forget the help on personal statements, UKCAT, interviews, its little gems like this.