1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

changing course

Discussion in 'Southampton Medical School' started by dcruz1309, Jan 16, 2009.

1. dcruz1309

dcruz1309 New Member

i want to change my biomedical sciences to medicine BM6....
    am i like...too late for that now...???

2. giella

giella New Member

It's not a question of your being too late. The facts are that you can only apply to 4 medical schools, which you already have done, and that you're overqualified for the 6 year course anyway.
    You just need to get all your information together, get your grades in and then decide whether to go for GEM or reapply.
    You've been rejected by Southampton for medicine because they think you're unsuitable at present. People who apply for the 6 year course are judged on the same criteria that you were for the 5 year course, with the exception being that they have a different educational background to yourself. This just isn't an option for you. I would take the opportunity to reflect on this and think on how you can improve your application, or your interview answers if you apply again.

3. latestarter

latestarter New Member

I don't know the background to this but BM6 has screening criteria which must be met i.e. no family background of uni education. You have to fulfil 2 such criteria to be eligible.

It is too late to apply to BM6 as this year it had the same deadline as BM5, Oct 15th.

You cannot be overqualified for BM6, but generally applicants have mitigating circumstances for poorer results or come from a different background. There is nothing stopping a straight A student applying if they meet the screening criteria - you may have the 'wrong' A levels for example and top up with an access course.

4. latestarter

latestarter New Member

oh, and if you haven't already accepted the biomedical sciences then maybe seriously think about whether you want to take a gap year instead.
    If you've started, then discuss with your tutor about applying next year and make sure you get top marks in the up-coming exams.

5. Clarkey

Clarkey I have girl bits ok? :)

Maybe giella knows something we don't and so thats why she thinks the OP is overqualified?

You cannot just swap over to BM6. There aren't empty spaces waiting for randoms to come and start the course. It is very oversubscribed and difficult to get onto. They will not take kindly to you suggesting that you could just swap applications and thats on top of the fact that it is far too late for you to do that.

I do know of a friend who did her first year of biomed at soton who transferred into the first year of BM5. BUT she was very very lucky, I don't know anyone else it has happened to and I don't see it happening again because the current first years are at more than maximum capacity for some reason and they will not want to take people have have not applied for the normal route.

6. latestarter

latestarter New Member

Clarkey, I did meet a biochem student in the waiting room before my interview who had transfered - but as you say this is really the exception.
    The only route I could see was applying after the first year - but you would have to start BM5 at year 1. Would BM6 still accept an application if you had started another degree?? I know grads can't apply to BM6.

7. sd91

sd91 New Member

im only an applicant to bm6 so i don't really know that much but i wouldn't have thought you could transfer to bm6 becuase the person would already have the skills and qualifications for higher education. i remember reading somewhere that the university will not except transfers into bm6 and bm4 but i may be wrong

8. giella

giella New Member

The OP has stated in another post that he/she has applied to BM5 and been rejected, although he/she has an offer for Biochemistry[?] from Southampton.
    As I understand BM6, although only vaguely because I apparently didn't meet one of the criteria, if you've done science A levels, you're not eligible for BM6, although I could be wrong.
    But the fact is, if you've been rejected from BM5, that's because they think you're an unsuitable candidate for medicine at present. Given that BM6 applicants are marked against the same criteria at interview as those for BM5, BM6 just isn't an option, and it's not just a back door into medicine where you have to do 6 years instead of 5 like some sort of punishment.

9. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

6 yrs? 7 yrs?

sounds like chinese torture to me, macca.

10. latestarter

latestarter New Member

you're right, I should have said this was to BM5...

11. latestarter

latestarter New Member

I agree it's not a back door just because you've been rejected. It has it's own target audience and this does inlcude those who have studied science a-levels (I know there are some foundation years who have that criteria, but it's not Soton).

I think really the OP is trying to clutch at straws, like those of us who've been rejected in the past - trying to find any glimmer of hope.

My friend is studying biochem at Soton (2nd year) and it sounds like no easy option!

12. Clarkey

You have to do science A levels to be considered for BM5 and BM6. :)

The rest of the post isn't in response to your post but I just wanted to clarify some things.

When it was in its early stages sometimes people who were offered a place on BM5 were put onto BM6 if they missed their grades and met the criteria. But I assume this no longer happens because of the competition.

You cannot transfer into BM6. A flatmate of mine doing biomed didn't know about BM6 and applied in his first year and was rejected outright straightaway.

And Gizmo you know better than me about torture. Mine will be seven years by the time i'm done!

13. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

well you should take a break. come up for tea sumtime, our exams finish this week and i'll be able to treat you.

14. Clarkey

Have been in London/Soton for over a month but will get in touch when i'm back (later this week).

15. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

ok. will try not to get kiked out afore then, macca.

16. dcruz1309

dcruz1309 New Member

wOw...thanks for all ur feedback...~~
    yh ur right...im just being stupid thinking i can transfer....LMAOZ!!!
    so wot im gona do is...get my AAA....and accept the biomed offer...
    then reapply to BM5 while doing the biomed course...
    if i dnt get in again..then at least i still got my biomed...

ive workd out that 4 me 2 pursue in carrer becoming a doctor i wud have 2 study at soton for 7 yrs....>_<...meaning i wud graduate at 27.....
    hahaha

but if i get in BM5..then i graduate 1 yr earlier....woooooo...hehe

17. dcruz1309

dcruz1309 New Member

so did u go thru biomed then in2 graduate medicine...??

wots BM4 like..?

i dnt quite undastand how ppl with no science...or medical knowledge can get in2 BM4 and become doctors...

do u learn the same stuff as in BM5?

18. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

well truth be told, you can fit the 5 year degree material into 4 years wiffout that mush difficulty, so BM4 wiffout science knowledge requires some gusto and self application but its quite possible. i wuld ave luvved to ave done GEP meself, given the chance.

19. dcruz1309

dcruz1309 New Member

o so ppl @ BM4 learn the exact topics as BM5???

20. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

i doubt the modules are the same, though obv they share much material. approach would be the difference.
    dunno though, sorri, i'm not at Soton.