1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Careers Advice

Discussion in 'MRCS Revision' started by dudey, Jan 5, 2010.

1. dudey

dudey Member

Hey,

I'm a 5th year medical student, and am aspiring to become an ENT surgeon in my future career. To do this I will have to do CT in Surgery after my foundation years. As this is extremely competitive, I am looking for various ways to bolster my application.

Do you think it would be advantageous to take the MRCS part A during my F1 year? And also, is this very ambitious to think I can pass it as an F1? I would say I am pretty intelligent, but have dossed around in med school a lot...I understand the MRCS standards are very high, but I figured if I put my mind to it I would be able to learn what I need to.

Secondly, would it be better to take the Diploma of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery (DOHNS), exam instead? And if so, is this easier to pass than the MRCS part A?

At the moment, all I have application-wise is an Audit in ENT...I never really took part in the surgical societies in my university...What other ways could I bolster my application?

Any advice appreciated.

Cheers, and a happy new year.