Cardiff Medical School's "Medical Foundation" HELP!

Discussion in 'Cardiff Medical School' started by JackC, Apr 12, 2011.

1. JackC

JackC New Member

Hey all! I'm new as of today so sorry if this subject has already come up.

I'm still doing my GCSES and I've wanted to be a doctor for quite some time. My brother is doing Biochem in Cardiff and I'm set on doing Medicine after A-Levels. For my GCSE's i'm meeting the required grades of Science (AAB) English (B) but Maths i'm in foundation tier, so the highest I can get is a C but the Medical school want a B in maths. I'm applying for the higher tier but they want me to get at least 90% in my upcoming exam to consider me. Let's say I met the A-Level requirements of AAA, met all the requirements of the GCSE (other than maths) and applied straight after my A-Levels, do you think they would consider me? I find it trivial that they would overlook me because of one grade.

Also, the medical school mention something called a "Medical Foundation Course'. It says on the website:

"The Foundation programme is designed for students who have demonstrated high academic potential but who do not meet the specific subject requirements for entry to the five year medical programme i.e. those who have non-science subjects or a combination including no more than one of Biology, Chemistry and Physics.

Students on the one year modular programme study twelve modules alongside students of other science disciplines. Normally modules include biological and chemical sciences, or other subjects such as mathematics. Also modules are available in other subjects e.g. psychology and languages. The combination of subjects is selected according to the students’ prior qualifications."

Now I haven't made much sense of this..Could this be for people like me who can't get that Math grade?

I'd really appreciate someone setting my mind at rest! If all goes to hell, I intend to do biomed then medicine..

Please help me out, and thanks!

2. Basinboy

Basinboy New Member

Ring and ask is your best bet.
    I wanted to apply to Bristol but they wanted an A in English language or literature, can't remember which one. Anyway so I thought they may overlook my B in that subject because of my A levels and the rest of my grades, so I emailed to ask. They replied within a day and told me that I wouldn't be considered. I know that may be a bit negative, but I would definitely ring to check with cardiff. I would also recommend you to nag your teachers to let you do the higher tier paper, maybe even get your teachers to move you up a set, because I found being in a higher set meant you got better teaching. Good luck anyway

3. Basinboy

Basinboy New Member

O yea to your question about ''could this be a math grade?'', No, I'm pretty sure that for people who did other A levels other than biology, physics and chemistry. In the foundation year you learn all the science you missed at a level.

4. JackC

JackC New Member

Thanks man that's helped. Do you know any uni's that are pretty good other than Cardiff for Medicine? I really wanna' make it you know? I better get begging for this high tier chance. I really hope I get in.