1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can anyone offer me any guidance on what route to try?

Discussion in 'Mature Students' started by onedaydoc, Aug 19, 2016.

1. onedaydoc

onedaydoc New Member

Hi,
    I really need help with this. As I am just going around in circles. I am a year 1 undergraduate with the Open University on the BSc Psychology degree.

Medicine is the goal! So I don't know if I should swap my degree pathway for the Open University BSc Health Science or stick with the BSc Psychology? Liverpool are looking for biomed/health science degree. I have asked them if the OU Health Science would qualify but no reply (as of yet)

Next September I am taking 5 GCSE's plus I will have two years volunteer experience to add to my application. (If two years will be enough. As some have been working for years in the NHS etc)

So, do I apply for an access course after the GCSE's with claiming a diploma in Psychology or stick with the full Psychology degree then access? Or swap degree to the Health Science to apply to Liverpool direct .. I have no idea what to do. I am a mature student (27) plus I do have a large gap in my working career due to raising a young family. I feel by taking diffent routes I am cutting other doors off to get in.

2. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Are you set on Liverpool, it just set on medicine?

3. onedaydoc

onedaydoc New Member

Hi,
    Sorry for the late reply. Medicine in general! However, due to having a young family. It would ideally have to be Liverpool or Manchester.

4. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

I can appreciate your constraints as also have family and it limited my geography.

You have to decide the balance. I know a few mums who lived away from their kids during the week to do medical school. It's hard, but it depends on you commitment.

The issue is grad med especially is a lottery. I have seen many fantastic candidates not get in, or take multiple attempts to get a place. You are relatively you still, so your have the time. I was in the latter part of my 30's when I found out that I could still do med!

However you do put your heart and soul into an aplication, and it's should destroying when you don't, making it even harder to reapply.

Therefore it's important to maximise your chances.

I would list *all* the courses, and just look which ones you can apply for. Some won't accept an OU degree, some won't take grads, some won't take you without a full science degree.

Then look at their other requirements, in terms of entry exam, a-levels and other requirements like work experience. Try and grade how realistically/easily you can meet them.

Then look at the ratio of applications to places to gage competition. - This you need to take in context. You can get attractive looking ratios if they their other criteria are hard or cumbersome e.g. GAMSAT puts people off.

You will need to research the entry exam thresholds and application ratios a bit. When this site was in its hayday We had a fair idea because we shared our info. But things have gone quiet. The student room is just a kiddie play pen now, so also hard to find things out reliably. So you may have to resort to freedom of info requests if they don't publish the data.

Then rank the Uni's based on how well you fit / or able to work to fit their criteria.

Then finally cross of the ones that you just can't see being possible to work geographically.

Though I lived in London. I considered Southampton and Cambridge. You may be supprised that when faced by stark choices, howfar you might be willing to go...

good luck...