1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Campbell Harris and 24+ learning loans

Discussion in 'A-Levels' started by LIsty1981, Jun 7, 2014.

1. LIsty1981

LIsty1981 New Member

Hi all,

I am looking to study A levels full time (3 in a year), am based in London and am over 24. From looking into it, there are very few places that actually cater for full time A levels for mature students (even less for evenings!), so the far and away leader is Campbell Harris in Kensington. For your awareness, I have tried distance learning before, and it is not for me - I need human contact!!

I have engaged with them, and they seem happy to take me on, but they are expensive. Too expensive for me to afford. There is hope in that there is the 24+ learning loan available, for which I am eligible, but I want to know in advance if this is something that anyone has done before.

So, is there anyone who has used a 24+ loan to study at Campbell Harris? If not, can you suggest any other colleges that do full time mature study which would accept this loan?

Thanks for your help!

Listy

2. Thatblackchic

Thatblackchic Member

Hi there, I'm in your boots also looking to do 2 a levels starting this septemeber. Your best bet would be to call the 24+ learning loan people to see if they fund student loans for Campbell Harris. I contacted Ealing and Hammersmith college which accept the loan. They offer evening biology and chemistry. I think chemistry is 6pm-9pm on wednesdays, i'm not sure. Email them, they require you to take a pre-assessment for biology and chemistry which will run in august. I will be taking the exam then so meanwhile i'm just brushing up on chemistry and biology with revision guides.

3. zaki

zaki New Member

hi,

did you have any luck with campbell harris?

I am in the same boat so to speak and with the limited class sizes and more 1 to 1 tutoring this seems a slightly better route.

4. zaki

zaki New Member

hi, in regards to hammersmith college they just told me to come in and register on the open evenings.

when are you taking this assesment? Do you have a contact?

5. Thatblackchic

Thatblackchic Member

Yes that's right, just bring your GCSE results and information. A pre-assessment will happen on that day, they will give us a test and interview, regarding our suitability for the course. Go on their website for open days which are all happening end of august. I don't have a contact I just emailed them. I suggest you turn up at an open day and enroll, it's as easy as that.

6. zaki

zaki New Member

thanks so much. That clears things up. So will you be taking A2 chem and bio?

I know a2 chem is on weds from 6 to 9pm according to last years schedule. I dont think that will change.

did they give you an idea of when a2 biology might be held?

i am just trying to work around my work schedule.

also, not to ask too much of you but what revision websites / books r u using for bio/chem?

7. zaki

zaki New Member

hi

i briefly looked into Campbell harris and the 24 plus loans. the loans are available for a level courses / level 3 courses at any publicly funded institution.

from the first sight it dosent look like campbell harris fit that mould.

the best i have seen thus far are ealing, hammersmith and west london college.

also, try hotcourses they list everything and have feedback from students

you can search for all your criteria there

8. Thatblackchic

Thatblackchic Member

Hi, I have no idea the schedule for biology unfortunately. I have just been using the CPG GCSE books to prep. An old thread said the pre-assessment test is a bit of a joke but I wouldn't underestimate it. This may be the year they change the test and make it super hard lol. Better to be over prepared than under.

9. spork

spork New Member

A friend went to CH evening classes and she said they were a waste of time. She did biology and chemistry and thought it was really unstructured, especially for chemistry which was taught by the assistant principal. The term started a week before November, so that's a bit worrying. I thought it would be better being private and smaller classes, but this has put me off!

That ruled out applying to CH for me and I'm thinking of enrolling at WLC. The cost can be covered by the loan and their terms follow the full academic year - it's hard enough to be studying part time anyway to then not have maximum class time hours.

I'm a bit worried about the assessment test, as I read on another thread/foum that it's quite hard and someone failed the assessment as it was post-GCSE knowledge. I won't be able to get there before tomorrow evening due to work/only researching evening A Levels this weekend, but if any of you do go, could you feedback on what topics/questions they had in the assessments?

10. Thatblackchic

Thatblackchic Member

Well I'm feeling so sad and sorry for myself, I took the test at hammersmith and got 13/20 on their assessment. They rejected me on those grounds, so I decided to try at the ealing campus and luckily it was the same maths test, although a chemistry test accompanied it. I know i got at least 16/20 for the maths, the chemistry I'm not sure. I called today for the results as they said they would call me and failed to. After persistently calling I was told I was unsuccessful. I feel really lost at the minute. I'm thinking of going in tomorrow and speaking to a tutor at the ealing campus, but I feel it may be a waste of time. I'm also thinking of signing on for online a levels, but i feel I will excel more in a class setting. Some insight would be appreciated.

EDIT: Good news, I was called by the enrollment officer who has decided to take me on, he said I could enroll at the ealing campus or Hammersmith. I am reluctant to go to hammersmith as the teacher over there rejected me. It was a slightly deceitful way to go about it but I'm determined.

#10 Thatblackchic, Aug 28, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2014
  11. LIsty1981

LIsty1981 New Member

Just a quick update - campbell harris definitely do not and will not do 24+ loans, so I think its a case of distance learning. Turns out that essay sybjects are just not catered for by anyone that does 24+ loans. Real shame.