BSMS Reserve List 2010

Discussion in 'Brighton and Sussex Medical School' started by Jenny22, Feb 4, 2010.

1. Jenny22

Jenny22 New Member

Hi everone,

thought I would make this thread for anyone wanting to discuss the reserve list.

Got a letter today saying that I am on the reserve list, ecstatic it isn't a rejection but of course I am still totally nervous. I am trying to remain positive though!

:)

x

2. jen2010

jen2010 New Member

I am also a final year biomedical science student on the reserve list.

Anyone else?

:)

3. Jenny22

Jenny22 New Member

I called them today to see if I could find out what position I am on the list, the lady said that she doesn't have that info and also doesn't know how they will rank applicants because this is down to the admissions lady herself.

Rather scarily she also said that there will be a significant number on the reserve list!

Actually made me feel more nervous after speaking to them :confused:

4. hellz

hellz New Member

hey!

You have an offer from UEA?? I thought you had to wait until March at the earliest to hear.....as all the 700 or so they interview are then ranked and the top 300 are made an offer. Hmmmm may give them a call!

5. canoechick

canoechick New Member

Hi guys, is this the pre interview reserve list you are talking about? If so I just wanted to say that I was in the exact same position three years ago and ended up getting a last minute interview in April and subsquently getting a place. I'm now at BSMS in my third year and doing just fine and I know of two friends who also got in this way, so I wanted to offer hope that it is possible and that being on the reserve list really isn't just a delayed rejection. Now I'm at BSMS I often help out on the interview days so I know that since I've been here some years there has ended up being a reserve list interview day and some years there are not. I know its not the nicest position to be in at the moment but it is better than a rejection for sure.

6. canoechick

canoechick New Member

I know, the waiting is not fun. But hey you have a place at UEA and have been interviewed at HYMS that is a much nicer position than I was in on the reserve list! So be glad you have a place, BSMS is a fantastic medical and I would recommend it to anyone and everyone but at the end of the day getting an opportunity to study medicine is the most important thing, so relax a bit and be please with yourself for getting that :)

7. Mabz

Mabz New Member

How come you have a UEA offer already, all the offers are given out once all the interviews have taken place (thats not till march)

8. Jenny22

Jenny22 New Member

Thanks for giving me some hope canoechick. I am just TERRIFIED about whether or not they will even hold an extra interview day!

Do you know of any reserve list people who got offers in August through clearing?

9. canoechick

canoechick New Member

Yes the two friends I referred to got in this way - one was like me interviewed in April but they only had a very limited number of places up for grabs at that point so although she did well enough in her interview that normally they would of given her a place (actually I just remembered there was one other person in our year who also got a place this way but she dropped out last year so I had forgotten about her) but as there was not enough places everyone who did well enough was ranked and some then had to wait for August to see if people missed their grades - enough people in my year missed the grades that everyone on this list in the end who elected to stay on it (they could not if they had a place elsewhere) got a place. Then there was one place left so they held another small interview day in August for some of those on the reserve list who had not got an interview in april and the second friend I mentioned got in this way.

So it is possible, it varies year on year depending on how those applicants who have been interviewed did but it really isn't just a nice rejection, BSMS do the reserve list so if possible they can avoid rejecting good applicants by accepting any potentially less good applicants just becuase they were ones who got called to interview. Good luck guys, I know its not much fun but if it works out then it is more than worth the stress in the long run!

10. InternalOptimist

I have a friend with the same story as canoechick - and much good luck to you in getting a place from BSMS!

11. cookie_monster

cookie_monster New Member

I had a rejection come through this morning, not even on the reserve list, and I don't have a clue why... my grades went through predicted as A*AA, and my UKCAT was fine, my friend who applied at exactly the same time as me, and with the same grades and everything got an interview. Very puzzled.... if anyone can shed a bit of light on it it would be much appreciated...!!

12. halfadoc

halfadoc New Member

Cookie-monster, I think the brighton medical school is statistically the most competitive one so don 't feel bad you got rejected.
    Some medical school focuses a lot more on personal statements and use this over grades once an applicant has the minimum gades, perhaps this is the
    case with brighton, perhaps they just prefered your friends personal statement. Anyway don't feel bad - you have an offer to keele!¬!!
    An offer anywhere is a great achievement so well done - be happy with this!! :)

13. cookie_monster

cookie_monster New Member

Thanks Halfadoc, I know what you're saying, but the gutting thing is that I helped her write her ps when she was really struggling... and at the point I wrote that this morning I didn't have an offer from Keele and was feeling pretty down about the whole thing! So I'm much happier now, but I still don't really see what they rejected me on... I'll get some feedback, just out of interest, but Keele is the one I really care about so it's all worked out OK really...

14. InternalOptimist

I suppose all an acceptance from BSMS would do would be to give you a pointless back up which you wouldn't be able to use because it would have the same grade requirements!

15. halfadoc

halfadoc New Member

Well I'm glad it worked ok for you then cookie monster with your keele offer, your comment makes more sense now I know you didn't have an offer at time of writing - its much more stressful to get rejections in that situation! Good luck with your a levels :D

16. new username

new username New Member

Hey Guys

I am on the reserve list. In all honesty I am very disappointed since it's just a rejection sugar coated.
    However we have to take into account that not everyone on reserve list will be on it for ever, some will get offers elsewhere therefore withdraw their application.

Does anyone know what actually happens to the people on reserve list? I was told that they may possibly hold another interview session on April. what if they didnt? is it a rejection for all of us?

17. InternalOptimist

Hey
    Don't think it is a rejection sugar coated - as said before people do get in from the reserve list, and you are right - this is dependant on people dropping out of the course because of offers elsewhere and the like.
    Yes there can be a further interview date set if you didn't have an interview, so sit tight and good luck!

18. seasideattraction83

seasideattraction83 New Member

Hi there folks. Does anyone know, based roughly on past experience, when we would expect to hear from BSMS regarding the waiting list (waiting for an interview, not to be confused with those who have already had an interview) ?

Thanks in advance :)

19. Jenny22

Jenny22 New Member

Is everyone on the reserve list still waiting to hear? The nerves are really getting to me now I am so worried.

20. strawberryjelliebaby

Just thought i'd let u know i rang bsms a few days ago and they said there is a meeting on the 19th of April about deciding whether to have another set of interviews!! They also said if u don't hear anything after then and have to wait til aug then there is only a very small chance of getting a place! Scary stuff! They said they did an extra lotof interviews 2 years ago but not last year so it's anyones guess!