1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brilliant interview book!

Discussion in 'Medical School Interviews' started by lu-x, Mar 24, 2008.

1. lu-x

lu-x New Member

I read this book (see link below) cover-to-cover for my last interview at Leicester. It gives detailed answers on those awkward questions such as 'Why Medicine?' and has many many ethical/NHS questions and answers, also with interview technique. I swear by it! For those who have received all four rejections after interview, and feel it was the interview that let you down, I seriously recommend reading it if you plan to reapply!

http://www.waterstones.com/waterstonesweb/displayProductDetails.do?sku=5603925

#1 lu-x, Mar 24, 2008
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2008
  2. Singh.Simran

Singh.Simran New Member

Get it from a library, and don't quote verbatim either in syntax or ideas for they will see right through it and it won't sound true either. Use it as an aid to understanding rather than a "this is the answer".

Otherwise, yup, it's a great interview book. Weighty though - maybe best to concentrate on weak areas?

3. Wanna B Doctor

Wanna B Doctor New Member

I also agree!!! great book!! but as singh.simran said only use to help you gather thoughts etc!!!
    i definetly recommend it too!

4. jonbonbon

jonbonbon New Member

it's cheaper on amazon.co.uk than UCAS and u get some money off if u buy it with the ukcat book.

5. agneishd

agneishd Active Member

tis v expensive, great book though
    a lot of the questions in it are too high a level for undergrad interviews bear in mind...

6. waveygravey

waveygravey New Member

really to high a level how do you mean? i found the tips on ties and how to greet ur examiners alone helped, as did using it for ideas on questions i wasnt to hot on. pretty sweet!

7. agneishd

agneishd Active Member

plenty of questions one wouldn't expect to realistically get, e.g. evidence-based practise, the audit process, and the influence of politics on health

some of the answers they give are pretty high level too

8. waveygravey

waveygravey New Member

yeh i do see ur point agneishd, but like in the house says it depends on med school. some of the questions i could see being asked at a sp trainee interview. and its useful if you dont know about the ewtd and how the training scheme used to work and how the mmc changed it. (like i didnt know before i got it)

9. lil-lauren

lil-lauren New Member

i have pretty much every medical interview book you can buy in Britain- no joke, my mom was very dubious about me getting into medical school- but I think the one that y'all are talking about is probably the best standard interview book. Quite a few of my friends have borrowed it, i wanted to make it earn its keep! Another good book is the Medical Ethics mini book from the 'Very Short Introduction to...' series by Oxford. Its only just over a fiver from Amazon, but its really useful as it can help you think of your own answers to ethical or the standard 'what makes a good doctor' questions. Its also a lot cheaper, and some of the sample answers in the interview book are a bit too long-winded and pretentious. The 'Becoming A Doctor' book (also from Amazon) by the GMC is really useful, it also contains a couple interview questions but also has all the information about every kind of UK medical course, comparison charts between schools etc. case studies and a lot more. If you are a bit short on money, I'd just buy the Becoming a Doctor book and Medical Ethics book. However, I'd seriously recommend all three- you can get discounts from Amazon buying the two big ones together and tbh £40 - £50 is not a high price if it helps you get into med school!! Also, really revise the research specialties etc. of the uni, because if you so much as mention the research facilities they will try and catch you out by asking you questions about their research!

10. KateBiomed

KateBiomed New Member

I've got a copy of the medical interviews book that you were discussing first if anyone is interested? Its quite an interesting book too if you like ethical dilemas and stuff!

11. Jhesam

Jhesam New Member

Very informative for your first post Med Guru, cheers for that!

In other news I'll definitely be looking at this interview book its the second lot of recommendations people have given and since interviews and flying are the two things that terrify me in this life I reckon it certainly can't hurt after 3 interviews 3 rejections last year.

Boo!

12. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

if you cant answer med skool interview questions yourself then you aint interested in medicine. the questions you will get are simple, not bloody university challenge.
    the answer if you cant answer isnt quickfix, its 'dont apply till you're ready'.

13. agneishd

agneishd Active Member

hmm gizzy is right 'bout personal Qs - "medicine and you" Qs should be honestly answered by oneself

- but for factual questions, and those with ethics, getting an interview book can help - doesn't formulate answers for you, but teaches one 'bout the way the NHS is, etc. and on ethical Qs, gives arguments for both sides, which one can then develop a better understanding of and formulate one's own opinions...

tis a tad pricey, but i'd recommend this book: Amazon.co.uk: Medical School Interviews: A Practical Guide to Help You Get That Place at Medical School - Over 150 Questions Analysed: George Lee, Olivier Picard: Books

14. yazoo

yazoo New Member

Just how do you know you can't answer the med school interview questions until you've been to to a few interviews? I would recommend not finding out the hard way - by attending interviews and learning from your mistakes for the next cycle. Instead, think of the 6 Ps: Proper Preparation Prevents Piss Poor Peformance. A bit military but true ;)

Read, think, do work experience, prepare. Reading interview books is just one way to learn and reflect. Prepare as many ways as possible (including remembering your exams...). Remember you are competing with people who will be doing the same...

15. Singh.Simran

Singh.Simran New Member

Cheers aggers but it *is* the one referred to in the very first post :p

16. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

well essentially, i mean dont waste your money on them, i fink i was typing too astily there, sure. save your cash for the real problems, though.
    Pissing away Pecuniary Profits makes for you a Pain in the Privates, you know.

but sure, read anyfing that comes your way, including the internet. that was my tool plus the local library.

17. yazoo

yazoo New Member

Oh, and some of the questions are hard. They have a habit of pushing you a bit if you are performing well. A bit like medicine itself - people push to test the boundaries of your knowledge, not your actual knowledge.

18. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

but if you want me to save you time as well, my experience was that the questions at ma five interviews were all straightforward as far as the ones they asked me.
    pms questions seemed a bit more in depth, mind.

19. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

sorri, wasnt replying to you Yazoo. i was typing at the same time as you. obv of a somewhat different opinion mind. Sorri if thats not what you fink, but i dont remember being asked anyfing that i 'adnt covered in fort during my consideration of the career during extensive preparation for choosing medicine well before i put pen to proverbial ucas form paper.

#19 Gizmo says -, Jun 13, 2008
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2008
  20. Gizmo says -

Gizmo says - New Member

which is probably what you are saying too, i expect.

and they.

but dont waste your money, nooo.
    'elp your friends wif it if theres that much extra lying around.