1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Books...

Discussion in 'Aberdeen Medical School' started by lil-lauren, Aug 29, 2008.

1. lil-lauren

lil-lauren New Member

Since I've been so not-proactive about getting anything prepared for uni, I thought I'd get some of the books from the booklist online, but I don't know which ones to get!!!

I know there are the 4 essential ones: Vander's Physiology, the blue Biochemistry one, Essential Clinical Anatomy and Health and Illness in the community. I have the Biochem one and the Anatomy ones which I bought off Keeno cos he lives near me but I don't know what other books to get!!!

These are the ones it says on t'booklist to get (apart from those ones above)...
    Systems 1: Review of Medical Physiology Ganong, also for sys. 2 and basic med sci so i guess this may be useful
    Histology Ross, Pawling

Systems 2: Basic and Clinical Anatomy Peakman
    Histology: A Text and Atlas with Correlated Cell and Molecular Biology with CDROM Ross, Pawling- I think this might be similar to the Histology one above
    Essential Obstetrics and Gynaecology Symonds
    General and Systematic Pathology: With Student Consult Online Access Underwood
    Rang and Dale's Pharmacology with Other

Basic Sci. for Medicine: Emery's Elements of Medical Genetics with Other
    Turnpenny, Peter D. Ellard
    Medical Pharmacology at a Glance Michael J. Neal

Which should def. be bought and/or I might use later on and which ones would I be wiser to borrow? Does anyone have any I could buy cheaply ;) ???

haha I'm making up for lost time in keeness....

2. lil-lauren

lil-lauren New Member

also, lol, why a gynaecology and obstetrics book for first year? If I couldn't buy a topshop top for the same price, I'd almost want to just buy it for my friends to laugh at...

3. AbdnGradPL

AbdnGradPL New Member

hahaha :)

Regarding books:

Only the ones labelled as 'essential' are actually what we need. The other are supplementary, if u require additional info on given topic.

Also, Systems 2 is a part of second year programme... or maybe it's just my imagination :) anyway, no gynaecology on year 1, that's for sure.

4. lil-lauren

lil-lauren New Member

No, on the booklist it said that Systems II is after Christmas... but I may get the Physiology and Histology ones cos they're used in more than one class.

5. AbdnGradPL

AbdnGradPL New Member

Ah, but maybe the ob/gyn book is there just to support the basic physiology&anatomy texts when we'll proceed to female reproductive system at the end of yr 1? They do that sometimes, u don't really need a given book as a whole, they just want u to read a chapter or two if ur really curious. Who knows... :rolleyes:

6. Eilidh McIntyre

Eilidh McIntyre New Member

Do you not think buying books makes it so much more real? I'm getting really excited! :D

7. AbdnGradPL

AbdnGradPL New Member

It certainly does, Eilidh.. that's why I had some of 'em bought 6 months ago ;)

but just u wait, Ruridh will post in this thread any minute now, and tell us all to chillax ;) How, I ask u, if there are only 3 more weeks to go? :D yay

8. lil-lauren

lil-lauren New Member

yeah... I think I was just too chillaxed from holidays but some of my friends already going off to uni spurred me into action! i'll go crazy for freshers week but unfortunately I think we're going to have to be nerds this year... :cool:

9. natamac

natamac New Member

Does anyone have the link for the booklist? i used the one from the premed handbook and it just came up with a bookshop site saying "page not available"
    Tis getting very exciting now. I am driving my friends crazy with uni talk when they probably want to enjoy what is left of summer. Can't wait, not long now.

10. ruridh17

ruridh17 New Member

Robert you know me too well. I was just about to say to everyone to take a chill pill.

However, as i am in a tense mood right now, i will help you out some more:

Academic, Educational and Business Books - Blackwell Bookshop Online

Copy and paste that bad boy link above ^^ and you wont go wrong. Also choose Systems 1 and Basic Science for Medicine and there is nothing you can do wrong.

See, i can be a nice person when i want to be.

11. natamac

natamac New Member

Thanks, I can chillax now haha

12. ruridh17

ruridh17 New Member

Glad i could be of service.

13. elz

elz New Member

gosh lauren, your not buying all those books are you? eeek. i bought greys anat and the pharmacology one (purely because it was cheap, though im told the 'at a glance' ones dont have enough detail). i havnt exactly bought anything else but got loadsa freebie books-new and old, some anatomy and physiology, one lovely new one on genetics, one new big one called 'the cell'. and random things like book on MRI and stuff. hehe. dont think i'll buy anymore until we get there and absolutely cant live without it! not long to go people, 18 days!!!

14. natamac

natamac New Member

I have heard that the crash course books are good for revision but there seem to be loads of them. Looks like revision for med school exams is not going to be as simple as getting 1 revision guide and doing a few past papers.
    Your book collection sounds impressive elz. So far I have Gray's Anatomy, some flashcards and a home doctor book from the 1930's that won't be much help in modern medicine but its fun to read.

15. lil-lauren

lil-lauren New Member

no i'm not buying all of them! just the main 4 for now... i'm getting grays thrown in with a skeleton and dissection stuff i'm getting for really cheap from my best friend's mom.

16. Eilidh McIntyre

I'm getting my mum's copy of Gray's Anatomy from 30 years ago. Haha. Not sure how much use it will be!

17. natamac

natamac New Member

It could still be useful, I doubt human anatomy has changed much over the last 30 years.

18. Eilidh McIntyre

Haha i never thought about that!

19. Tess_Tickles

Tess_Tickles New Member

Natamac, people had tails in the 30's, be careful of that.

I opened up the anatomy book which was 'essential'. Thanks to my luck i opened up around the middle and what was staring back? A hugely detailed picture of the male genitalia. Thanks. What a way to go off medicine in 2 seconds.

20. elz

elz New Member

well im glad im not the only one with greys, anyhow!