Bmat score for oxford!

Discussion in 'Oxford Medical School' started by sara7000, Aug 16, 2008.

1. sara7000

sara7000 New Member

hello I just wanted to know what people getting to oxf for med normally score in their bmat! I would really appreciate it if someone cud ans this and plus does anyone know any candidates from scotland being offered a place at oxford and how many advanced highers or highers they did and what they got? Its my time to decide what highers to do so I wud love some help! Thank you!!

2. leinstermunster

leinstermunster New Member

You probably know this but selection for interview is based on GCSEs and BMAT, with it being 2/3 BMAT score and 1/3 GCSE (or the other way i cant remember).

As for normal score, I couldn't say but I got in and I scored: 6.7 in the Aptitude and Skills, 6.2 in Scientific Knowledge and Applications and 9.0 in Writing Task.

As for Advanced Highers/Highers stuff the smallest bit of research on your part on the UCAS wesbite or the Oxford website would lead you to that answer.

3. sara7000

sara7000 New Member

Thanks for saying ur bmat score and I have looked up the websites but they just say AAB or AAA is required, but I wanted to know whether people getting in do four advanced higher! Cud u please say if u know any Scottish qualification ones getting in?

4. elles

elles New Member

I don't personally know anyone who came from the Scottish system here, so I suspect the numbers are fairly small & then the chance of one posting on this forum even smaller... so you may not get much of a sample.

If you haven't already seen it the official university word is:

It wouldn't really be in their interests to lie & waste everyone's time - so I'd take that at its word - 2 Advanced Highers would be fine.

Then for Medicine specifically their website:

So the standard advice is do the required subjects (both for Oxford if you have them in mind & perhaps also other medicals schools to keep your options open), then make up to the required number with subjects you enjoy and can do well in.
    Consider taking more than the required number if you think you will enjoy it & it will not jeopardize your grades in the required subjects or your medical application in broader terms e.g. time for work experience and extracurriculars. :)

#4 elles, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  5. sara7000

sara7000 New Member

thanks alot Elles but does that mean I should not take four advance highers becus it would make it look as if I don't have enough time for my extra curriculars?

6. medicine-man

medicine-man New Member

When they say whoever gets a certain BMAT score in relation to % of A*s at GCSE, and gets predicted AAA including Chemistry, automatically gets an interview, does that mean that there aren't any other factors (such as reference, personal statement, AS grades) that would prevent him from getting an interview????????????

7. elles

elles New Member

They don't say if you get X BMAT and Z GCSEs you'll get an interview - they said that in 2007 for 2008 entry or in 2006 for 2007 entry or in 2005 for 2006 entry people needed X + Z to be automatically shortlisted. ;)
    Links to the historical statistical information, if people haven't already seen: How to assess your chances: some statistical information from the Medical Sciences Division Website

The impression definitely is that this part has previously been "automatic" - that's the wording they use & they emphasize this is supposed to be "quantitative and objective". So it does suggest to me that if you met those criteria you would have been on the initial automatic list for interviewing, that they then added to by looking at the UCAS forms in more detail.
    There presumably could be personal statement/reference/AS grades factors that might later count against receiving an offer though!

To know for sure what they plan to do it this year (e.g. whether there are going to be changes or to clarify things) I would recommend finding out from the people who do it e.g. the perfect opportunity at the upcoming Information Day in Medicine and Physiological Sciences! :)

If you've mentioned the extracurriculars and other aspects in your PS then medical schools can judge them for themselves rather than making assumptions, surely? Only you (/perhaps with advice from your teachers) can work out whether you think it's desirable and manageable to do additional subjects. *shrug*

#7 elles, Aug 17, 2008
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2008
  8. tdb4249

tdb4249 New Member

I don't know exactly what i got for bmat, but i remember i got pretty much average in each section. I got pooled for interview though because of my GCSE's.

9. tilleyk02

tilleyk02 New Member

On the assess your chances website it says "The lowest BMAT score for an applicant auto-shortlisted in 2007 was 48.25"
    How did they calculate that score and what does it mean?

10. Snowflake

Snowflake New Member

This means, the person with the lowest BMAT score out of all the people who got auto-shortlisted for interview (based on tehe BMAT GCSE ratio) is relative to all the BMAT takers of 2007 at 48.25%. I.e. his BMAT score is in the top 48.25%.
    I.e. Oxford can't just blab out his results, so uses relativity. :)

11. Gigglegirl

Gigglegirl New Member

hey, i was wondering whether its true that after you get an interview, ur bmat score is not looked at anymore? Not even at the end when they collate your interview/academic score before giving the top 150 offers?

12. ashleighhk

ashleighhk New Member

Just to let eveyone know, I applied to Oxford last year for med and was rejected without interview (can't remember my score offhand) - they said in my rejection letter that selection for interview was just based on A*s at GCSE and BMAT score. Your application doesn't go to the college you've applied to until you get an interview i.e. they won't have looked at your personal statement/reference etc. until they've decided to give you an interview...it's literally on academics!
    Hope this is useful,
    Ashleigh

13. Endeavour

Endeavour New Member

What did you get at GCSE? and what year did you apply? :)

14. Endeavour

Endeavour New Member

Hey :)

What did you get at GCSE? and what year did you apply :)

15. Endeavour

Endeavour New Member

Hey

What did you get at GCSE? and what year did you apply?