BMAT interview questions

Discussion in 'Royal Free and University College Medical School' started by jcarver1, Dec 19, 2008.

1. jcarver1

jcarver1 New Member

I got an interview at UCL on the 8th of january, yey!
    How is the BMAT involved in the interview. I cant even remember what the essay questions I wrote about was?
    Can anyone remember the essay titles? or can anyone offer any elp with the kinda thing they ask about the BMAT?
    cheers

2. Spencer Wells

Spencer Wells Noodly Doctory Moderator

The first question related to Lord Kelvin's question in which he stated that unless you can measure something it is essentially useless.

The second question focused on the doctor's recognising when a patient is dying.

The third was about science being the antidote to superstition.

3. annie<3

annie<3 New Member

jcarver, are you an international applicant? I've heard that the some Universities don't call for interview in Jan because they are considerate of the fact that we have Jan exams. Would anyone like to clarify?

4. becca230289

becca230289 New Member

UCL obviously does call for interview in January.

Some universities would probably be sympathetic about January exams (home students usually have A2 modules/AS resits as well) however it would probably be a case of you have to reschedule the interview with lots of notice, rather than not having any interviews in January at all. Personally, I went ahead and had my interview in the middle of A2 modules because I'd already rescheduled it and felt bad about annoying them again.

5. r_ashton

r_ashton New Member

All they asked me was how did I think the essay went and, when I said hat I could have done better by putting in more examples, they just asked me to give some. It wasn't too bad, or, at least wouldn't have been if I hadn't have dug myself a hole to throw myself into! I had no examples to give and rambled on about using my experiences in my volunteering where patients have died (I did q2 on death's inevitability).

They give you a copy of what you wrote anyway, so if you arrive early enough to read through it properly you'll be fine. Good luck in any case!

6. jcarver1

jcarver1 New Member

No im not an international applicant but I dont have exams because I am currently on a year out.
    I did ask them re-schedule it if possible becuase I was going to go on holiday but it wasnt going to be easy and I am more than happy to postpone skiing for a med school interview! (especially at UCL!)

This BMAT thing is really getting to me. I think I did the 1st question but I cant remember a thing! I felt absolutely terrible about the essay. I took about 10 minutes to decide which one to do and then rushed it. Im not one of those people who always ses "oh I did so badly" after exams and then always does well at the end, but I really did think I had ploughed it so I tried to put it out of my mind, and unfortunately succeeded!

Guess I'll just turn up early.

7. MEna

MEna New Member

I think you are given a scan of your essay right before you walk in for your interview - can anyone back me up on this?

8. Spencer Wells

Spencer Wells Noodly Doctory Moderator

Yup. Interviewees are given a copy of their essay when they register for interview.

9. r_ashton

r_ashton New Member

I went for the talk before my interview so had two hours to wait and re-read my essay before the interview... Not great fun but it did calm me down quite a bit!

10. nik_oik_91

nik_oik_91 New Member

Hey i've got an interview on the 8th as well!
    but i can't help with the bmat questions as they were different for me... non UK
    I don't think there are many things to worry about the bmat essay... they won't spend much time on it anyway
    would u mind saying what ur bmat score was? im trying to understand who do they interview first

does anyone know how many offers they give out?
    i found something but it doesn't seem that official to me... it says they give out 600 offers for 330 places and they invite 700-800
    Medschoolsonline - School leavers - University College London 5 year degree in medicine

11. jcarver1

jcarver1 New Member

I got 19.9 but you have 26 (which by the way is just ridiculous) so I would suggest that the order is not related to the bmat score. Or at least, not solely related to the BMAT score.

I have some more questions! yey;
    Do i need to bring my BMAT certificate? Do I need to bring any other certificates?
    Normally I would bring them any way, but because Im leaving for france that evening Id rather not take documents i dont need.
    cheers!

12. r_ashton

r_ashton New Member

You don't need to take anything to the interview - though I found it helps to take your personal statement to read through beforehand.

13. jcarver1

jcarver1 New Member

cheers, i thought I might as well ask but I figured That was probably the case.

EDIT: hang on, dont we need to take a passport photo?

#13 jcarver1, Jan 3, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 4, 2009
  14. Spishey!

Spishey! New Member

U do need to take a passport photo :), but as mentioned before no certificates are required etc.

Overall, its quite a nice experience, and everyone is really friendly. Try not to be nervous (easier said than done). Also, my advice is: take a jacket!! Lol, the heating doesnt work in the waiting room, so itss veryy coldd in there!!

15. georgiegirl

georgiegirl New Member

:)

#15 georgiegirl, Jan 8, 2009
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2009
  16. Ragaa

Ragaa New Member

Hii

I'm international.
    do you have any tips for me??