1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BM5 southampton decisions order

Discussion in 'Southampton Medical School' started by fizz_99, Jan 18, 2009.

1. fizz_99

fizz_99 New Member

Hi guys, I was wondering if anyone out there knew how southampton medical school starts making decisions.Do they start with the highest ukcat scores? Or do they give out decisions alphabetically?

2. 50PH//

50PH// New Member

i would be interested in knowing that too.

thanks

3. S4INT

S4INT New Member

I rather suspect we'd all like to know but that no one will!

4. ghafa

ghafa New Member

It's practically impossible to work out...but from what i've experienced they're choosing candidates randomly...some on gap years, others with loads of wk exp, and some have yet to sit A2!!??

5. S4INT

S4INT New Member

Is BM5 not undergrad. then?
    And Southampton don't interview undergraduates... :confused:

6. ghafa

ghafa New Member

you're right they don't interview...fizz 99 is trying to work out how they give offers!

7. S4INT

S4INT New Member

Sure, I just didn't get your bit about "some people not even having done A2s"...? :confused:

8. fizz_99

fizz_99 New Member

Im just speculating, but it might be through the Ukcat. because I have heard some high scorers getting offers. Im not suggesting that a high ukcat score will get u a place, but it sure seems to get earlier decisions.

9. DMXX

DMXX New Member

ghafa is referring to people like Olivia on this forum who haven't completed their A-Levels yet and applied this year. Put simply, Year 13s who only have a set of AS grades.

And, I find the UKCAT connection slightly dubious; I've seen quite a few people with "average" scores (i.e. hovering around 600) getting offers for the BM5 program.

Saying that, however, most of the people I've seen on the Internet with Soton offers do seem to have similar stats. The largest segment of people recieving offers seem to have:
    - UKCAT scores above 670
    - AAB at the minimum at A2
    - A few A*s, mostly As and some Bs at GCSE
    - Done some heavy work experience

Whether that'll alleviate everyone's concerns or not, I'm not sure, but it hasn't made me any less anxious, even though I've passed the above criteria.

10. exen-

exen- New Member

Above 670 for UKCAT seems a bit too high (though maybe that's just wishful thinking on my part).

Let's try finding out if it's alphabetical..

Any surnames beginning with Q onwards heard anything?

11. Le Pom

Le Pom New Member

i applied to the undergrad course even though i am or will be a graduate.
    I havent heard a thing yet. not even an acknowledgement! Think I should call? My Surname is after Q too.

12. fizz_99

fizz_99 New Member

Le pom I dint get an acknowledgement as well. so I called southampton a few weeks ago. They just told me u should have received an email acknowledgement and all decision will be made by end of march. And i also made them check whether they had my application. lol. just for my peace of mind. they are pretty quick on the phone, if u call make sure u can get as much info out of them as u can.

13. Le Pom

Le Pom New Member

lol ok, i might call then just to make sure they have my application as I withdrew from peninsula and selected soton instead so am a bit worried they may not have my app.

14. S4INT

S4INT New Member

I think I'm still being silly and missing something here...
    Won't most people not have any A2s for the undergraduate course?
    Thus, why is it strange if people with just ASs are getting offers?
    I haven't recieved an acknowledgement either... hmmmm... hmmmmmmmmmmmm.... :confused:

15. ghafa

ghafa New Member

ok...this is getting weird..what i was trying to say is people that have so far received offers are from lots of different backgrounds.

16. DMXX

DMXX New Member

I'm assuming they're randomly filtering through applicants, to be honest. Some of the people getting offers are on gap years, whilst others are still in Year 13.

ghafa's right about the people getting offers being a mixed bunch. It's awful hard to not try and identify the criterion used by the examiners, though.

17. latestarter

latestarter New Member

from what I understand the pile of applications are split between multiple selectors from various backgrounds - so if you are 'lucky' enough to be passed to a selector who is less busy, you'll hear early. If you end up with a very busy consultant, then you may wait longer...

18. SamW

SamW New Member

Someone at my school, surname W, got an offer for BM5 about 2 weeks ago. and his UKCAT is 590.

This destroys the alphabet theory, and the UKCAT theory.

Further evidence against the UKCAT is that ive seen 2 rejections today, one with a UKCAT of 820 (!), and one at 742.5.

Both of these candidates seem to have exceptional Academics:
    one was 11A*s at GCSE, one was 9A*s. and they were both 5 As at AS level.

This actually points me towards 2 possible conclusions:

1. Personal statement (including descriptions of work experience) and the teacher's reference, are the deciding factors.

2. There is no logical process. - GCSEs don't matter. A levels don't matter. UKCAT doesn't matter even though they ask for the results. Perhaps its literally a flip of a coin. </sarcasm>

19. fizz_99

fizz_99 New Member

That's interesting SamW. It might be the personal statement then. Cud u tell us whether u go to a private, grammer or state school. That might be an interesting theory to look into!

20. Lulu D-O

Lulu D-O New Member

ooo that gives me hope with a ukcat of 595!