1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Biomedical Science to Medicine Transfer?

Discussion in 'St George's, University of London' started by Master.K, Mar 19, 2011.

1. Master.K

Master.K New Member

Hey guys, Well I got all rejections for medicine, but I do currently hold an offer for Biomedical Sciences at SGUL. I'm still not sure whether to firm this choice or not, hence the reason why I'm asking you guys for advice.:)

Do any of you lot do this course at SGUL and if so how hard is it to get a transfer. I do realise it is very competitive but I just want to get a rough idea. To those who have been successful for the transfer please could you give me some tips on how to become successful? :confused:

Have any of you had friends or relatives that have tried for the transfer?....etc...Please tell me whatever you can about this course. :p

Thanks.
    Master.K

2. hodiurnal

hodiurnal New Member

Its not that hard to get the grade, just have some foresight and get tons of workexperience from tomorrow. Bear in mind that EVERYONE on the course has pretty much either screwed up their A levels or bombed the interview so the competition is fierce. Fortunately most are text book junkies so tend to have very poor WE and are weak interview candidates. I was a bit lazy so missed out on the 67% average or what ever it was and did GEP instead.

The course is good, but its quite hard to motivate if youre only doing it as a means to an end!

3. melika1990

melika1990 Member

I got offers from Bristol, Southampton and Georges. I've done my A-Levels and my grades are ABB. I have the same problem here, don't know whether to firm my george's offer. My friend is doing the same course at georges and I saw some of her textbooks. The course is extremely difficult. I always study hard but I personally think it's so difficult to get over %67. Don't forget real med students go to higher levels with much lower grades. Another problem is first year students have lessons every day, so you can't work during the week. Have any of you guys tried for the transfer and was successful? tnx

4. hodiurnal

hodiurnal New Member

Step 1: have some self belief that you'll do it
    Step 2: do it

Simple as that, no other excuses. Having done the course its not that hard (or incidently that much different in content from the MBBS5 in the years relevant for transfer so 67% shouldnt be hard if you plan on coping with medicine). If you work your ass off and cant get the transfer grade (interview etc is a different ball game all together) then you probably shouldnt kid yourself about doing medicine in the first place.

5. Master.K

Master.K New Member

Thanks for the info! :)
    Also, I was wondering....How was your timetable like? What time did you start? Is it a full five day schedule? ...etc.

6. melika1990

melika1990 Member

Hi Master.K,
    what are your predicted grades? I'm going to georges, what about you?tnx

7. Master.K

Master.K New Member

ABB :)
    My offer is BBB...

8. hodiurnal

hodiurnal New Member

No worries,

Timetable in my day wasnt too bad. Tons of lectures, usually a practical one afternoon a week each with a write up. Random presentations here and there etc and cbls. You used to have a core syllabus the same as the medics with joint lectures and then some course specific ones - for the first two years. Final year's modular and self selected to a degree with a mandatory research project. Suspect alots changed since I did it but the jist will be the same I reckon.

If you two come this year track me down and we can have a chat about best things to do to get across to the darkside if you like ;) Can probs rustle up all my old handbooks as well if mrs hodiurnal hasnt burnt them all!

9. cell_13

cell_13 New Member

hey hodiurnal, I hope everythings going good my man ?

completed my first semester at georges, not doing that good tbh just below average around 56% overall.

I think I'm focusing too much on the work experience side of it, been volunteering at a couple of places simultaneously for just over 6 months now. I missed ton of lectures/tutorials/anatomy, I think I did okay for all the lectures and whatnot I've been missing in my first semester at university. But obviously it's not good enough to get the transfer.

What were you averaging in your semester marks if you don't mind me asking ? Any tips for semester 2 + synoptic essay paper (1st end of year exams) :eek:

It's ridiculous though, I love anatomy and they only give three marks for OSPE for the amount we have to learn. I don't think the mark's for it are proportionally represented by effort needed to study/revise for it.

10. cell_13

cell_13 New Member

I honestly think you guys should not opt for this option, trust me this course is very intensive. For the first semester it was monday to friday with like 5-6 (45 min) lectures a day. At least with semester 2 we are getting a day off, but most of that day is just utilized going over the ton of information learnt during the clinical science lectures. If you have the grades just reapply, unfortunately I got BBB with really poor GCSE's.

11. melika1990

melika1990 Member

Dear cell_13,
    Please check your inbox. Thanks

12. hodiurnal

hodiurnal New Member

Hey dude,

Yeah all good, finishing off my last firm before writtens.
    56% isnt that bad, especially if you have been skipping. I was similar, but hated lectures (still do) you're probably just adapting to uni study vs A's. Whats semester 2 now adays? Seem to remember handbooks of MCBHD or something! Anatomy is a pain in the ass at georges, was great until a legendary greek dude left and then was just waaay too much effort with those pre session booklets that take like a degree to complete each week. Winkingskull is a good website as is the Aclands vids on moodle. Honestly, especially as a biomed, anatomy should be bottom of your priority list. Ahhh the OSPE, what a joke, enough said!!

When I did the course, it was 3 terms a year, think you guys have it different now with 2 semesters? We needed 40% to pass and the medics 60. I vaguely remember something in the 60's, but remember I took 6 years to finish the course :D

Tips? hmmm, do they still do past papers? Thats probably your best bet for the essays, remember writing one on the thyroid at some point.

Keep up the volunteering, but get some clinical if you can. What are you doing? PM me if you want something specific.

13. cell_13

cell_13 New Member

I know I hate going to lectures. Even moreso since I have to commute 3-4 hours everyday. I wanted to live in the halls but it turns I made the right decision because I'll need every penny If i choose the gep route. I'm sure you'll know if you've been following this tuition fee nuisance.

That's exactly what I'm doing this semester regarding Anatomy, compared to semester 1 where people spent crazy amounts of time revising for that.

The format for semester 2 is the same as semester 1. You have the CMB, BST that's all the practical stuff and then the clinical science which is the lectures you have with medics, but I think the medics get a few additional lectures. The lectures are divided into system based each week, so for e.g. kidney and Body fluids, cardiovascular, endocrinology etc.

What do you mean ? 6 years to finish the biomed course ? Really :eek: wow!
    Yep the pass mark is still 40% for biomed course.

Nope they don't seem to have any past papers? Do you have any lying around on your computer by any chance?

Best of luck with your exams :)

Check your PM too btw.

14. melika1990

melika1990 Member

hi Hidiurnal,
    What is the average age in GEP group (approx)? tnx

15. cell_13

cell_13 New Member

There's usually a variety of students in GEP courses you find the people who just finished their undergraduate degree, some in late 20's all the way from 30's upto 40's (even more but I personally never heard or met any). Since the age groups are so varied on gep course no point taking in averages since it won't be a fair representation. This is just my view from talking to students.

16. hodiurnal

hodiurnal New Member

Stupid forum deleting things.

Mentally or physically? :D

Most are 25-30 in my year I reckon. Some early 20's some late 40's. I think there's more coming straight in or nearly straight in from other degrees now so its getting young.

Why?

17. melika1990

melika1990 Member

no reason, I thought I may be too old at 25.

18. Martigan

Martigan Super Moderator

Well i'm 39...

19. hodiurnal

hodiurnal New Member

All the biggest GEP legends start at 25 :D

20. xsewax

xsewax New Member

Is the jump from uni to A'levels harder gcses to A levels. I was hoping to apply to StG's via adjustment, with hope to transfer to medicine. I was just wondering if you put in bthe work, is it possible to achieve the transfer? Some people saying it near impossible and very few transfer.