Badminton!

annarose

which uni's have a medical badminton team??
i know sheffield do, but who else does?
do they use the new scoring rules? boooooo....:(

x x x

JH

As far as I know, most universities have a badminton team. St. George's University of London (SGUL) certainly has 1. If I had the energy and time to play badminton everyday I would....some1 please invent a time machine for me!!!

.: Hope :.

I sooo wanna know too. Would be great :D

What's wrong with the new scoring system? It's much fairer in my opinion.

Last edited:

JH

There's nothing wrong with the new scoring system. It's faster play and it punishes you for being crap....so I guess it encourages you to train more often hehe

.: Hope :.

Yep true.

annarose if there are no badminton teams in your prosp uni you have the opportunity to create one ;)

icecream

i think all medical schools / unis will have one, as its a really popular sport. at kcl there are even seperate ones, kcl team and gkt team which often compete, you can play for either team or take part in either training though tbh

icecream

...GKT is the medical school most people know as king's
GKT stands for - Guy's King's and St thomas Hospital (Medical schools)

Med Moore

sorry i just have to add my bit on this bit.

What is wrong with the new badminotn rules?

What is right with the new badminton rules please :p

I've been playing for years at county junior standerd and since teh new rules have bene brought in the matchs kinda suck :( but that is personal opinion. Anway anyone know if east anglia or bsms have badminton teams that compete with other uni's ?

JH

Some of the more old school players at my club prefer the old rules to the new. I'm not sure whether it's because they're conservative and have grown accustomed to it or whether it is because they dislike the pace of the new rules. Could be a combination of the 2. Personally, I prefer the new rules to the old for 2 reasons. First, it stops the stupendously long tie breaks + exchange of service. Second, I think it makes you work harder for your game. Any mistakes are punished, so it's a positive kind of pressure. I can appreciate the dislike of the new rules for this reason also, especially if one is only after a friendly/leisurely game.

sionyn

birmingham interview...:
them: do you do any sports?
me: weeeell, i'll very occasionally play badminton... (about once every half decade)
them: oh, i see, didn't the rules change a short while back?
me: (i had no idea) yes!
them: how does your scoring system work then?
me: (aaaargh!) (pause) (pause) (long pause) well i only play it veeery occasionally, so we don'y use a scoring system.
them: but surely there must be one of some sort?
me: no, not really.
them: (pause) (and again) let's move on then

i'm never playing badminton again.

hestheblade

We have medic's badminton at Bristol :) We train once a week, play intramural against other uni teams and enter teams in our local league.

Last edited: