Bad University. Good course.

scott

i would EVERY time be in an environment where ability in careers are regarded ighly, rather than being stuck in your classroom philosophy.

The doctors who spend the most time studying are generally the doctors who let us down on wards most. Studying and working towards career abilities is the aim for grown ups, which you aint got to yet, 'ence your classrooom stance-

which could come straight outa secondary skool teachers mouth, its that basic.

why would external issues 'inder you? i am telling you that they will get you ahead much of the time.

i fink once you get out of the classroom bubble then you might start seeing fingsd as a grown up.

Obviously, i'm not saying that grades are not important in your education, though, but life isnt simple trade off between education and extracurricular activity.
Of course there is a balance. And, the problem lies when you put too much emphasis in extracurricular activities and not enough in education. Choosing not to put importance in A-levels is not a good thing. I cannot see why that would ever be a good thing. You didn't seem to elaborate on why it would. That was the gist of what I was trying to say.

By external issues, I meant family problems and other things that are sort of out of the person's hand or control and will affect his grades.

Class philosophy or not there's a reason it's all there. Saying things like living in a classroom bubble or comments that are typical of school teachers doesn't disprove my point. I still don't know what you wanted get across saying all that.

Gizmo says -

Of course there is a balance. And, the problem lies when you put too much emphasis in extracurricular activities and not enough in education. Choosing not to put importance in A-levels is not a good thing. I cannot see why that would ever be a good thing. You didn't seem to elaborate on why it would. That was the gist of what I was trying to say.
i dont mean to be rude, but arent you shocked that hyou cant see it yourself? i would be shooting maself if i culdnt see these fings, and i was going into a profession that deals wif peeple's lifestylers on an 'ourly basis.

we are talking about simple lifestyle issues, not rocket science.

Class philosophy or not there's a reason it's all there. Saying things like living in a classroom bubble or comments that are typical of school teachers doesn't disprove my point. I still don't know what you wanted get across saying all that.
you've got one more chance, then i'll be back wif a post that i ope wont shatter your beliefs too badly, as long as i am convinced its not gonna stop you getting the grades you need.

Singh.Simran

Im not sure I understand quite what you mean? I wasn't referring to people who apply to Aberdeen as having lower grades?
Sorry, that was to whoever it was saying that it's bad to put grades as the be all an end all of intelligence and you should look down on nurses/physios etc cos of it...

he of the unspellable name.

ruridh17

Yeah, rudidh17, if you've presented those views to the interviewer's panel it'd be a great loss if they haven't accepted you. That's what Abdn Med is looking for anyway (most unis are, probably) - a 'people's' person and a teamworker. So good luck x2
Thanks again, and no worries. People misunderstand things all the time. hehe

Anyhoo, i am in the mood to forgive anything today as i just got an unconditional from st andrews a bit better than the rejection from edinburgh. it isnt quite aberdeen, but at least i am going to do medicine somewhere. hehe

good luck to the rest of you aswell, i wouldnt want to be hogging all the limelight.

I know. Lets try reverse psychology.

Ahwell aberdeen...took too long, that's your own fault...maybe I'll just give up on you, yeah, that's what I'll do. Goodbye forever Aberdeen...bye...

*takes glimpses at aberdeen to see if they react*

Generally, Scottish Uni's, when looking at Highers, would like them to be done in one sitting, but if the person doesn;t quite achieve the required grades, they can be given a conditional based on their Advanced Highers, but generally yes...one sitting...I think?

elz

in response to this post i think its arrogant and ignorant to suggest aberdeen isnt a good uni for medicine because it allegedly gives lower offers for other courses. i believe i read somewhere that medicine at aberdeen was the 5th or 6th top med school in the UK.
i live near brighton and brighton and sussex uni give out fairly low offers for other courses ie my friend got a place for biomed there a couple of yrs ago when she only had D's and E's at a level. that doesnt stop BSMS having one of thehighest no of applicants for medicine.

i dont see what relevance other courses hav anyway, unless ur worried about only being able to mix with inferior people besides medics. hahaha, poor maccas

This whole thread isn't debating about Aberdeen not being good for medicine, the medicine course is brought out as good in this thread (as the title suggests 'Good Course'). The bad University bit is talking about whether everyone else apart from medics are 'HM' because the uni offer lower entry grades.

Concentrate!

elz

errr yea and i said i dont see how other courses is relevant unless .....

u concentrate! and dont be so rude.

it is true, but i feel sorry for the branded thicko peeps.

Yes, but Beaux wasn't saying that Aberdeen isn't a good uni for medicine because of the entry level to other courses. Which you stated:

i think its arrogant and ignorant to suggest aberdeen isnt a good uni for medicine because it allegedly gives lower offers for other courses.

Thats why i gave you my last post.

She/he said it had excellent facilities. And yes, other courses don't have any relevance to medicine.

I think what happened was you mis-interprated the point at the start of your post. By the end of your post, you'd got it right.

The concentrate thing? Rude? Haha, just a joke elz, lets chillax

Gizmo says -

errr yea and i said i dont see how other courses is relevant unless .....

u concentrate! and dont be so rude.

it is true, but i feel sorry for the branded thicko peeps.
ahhh, tru macca, true.

( finks *is being called a 'concentrate' the same as being branded a fickie?* )

Eilidh McIntyre

If i was going to be a smoothie, i would be a strawberry and banana innocent smoothie cause they are gooooood. haha

(can you tell i'm supposed to be doing my chemistry investigation? which ironically is on fresh and concentrated orange juice)

AbdnGradPL

Def'tly, Innocent smoothies rock my world... but only if they're on special offer from Somerfield (and that was like 6 months ago) - otherwise they're just too pricey for my student's wallet :( PJs are not bad, either (although u feel the difference in quality instantly).. yeah I go for strawberry and banana on most days but the Innocent Detox is quite cool too (it has some fancy exotic fruit in it ;) )

And since I don't tolerate coffee very well I guess that'll be a thermos full of smoothie for me, throughout the med course :D

Talk about wasting precious time - I'm supposed to finish my dissertation in 18 days. See that guy on the left? He's praying I'm somehow able to find enough motivation to complete those few final tests. Gawwwd :/

Last edited:

Eilidh McIntyre

Ahh the price. yes, something i am yet to have to consider since i am still living with the parents.... oh no, my days of innocent smoothies for breakfast may be drawing to an end.

i'm afraid i can't agree with you on pjs (that will probably change when i attempt to live on a student budget). there good but just not in the same league as innocent.

hmmm and as for coffee i'm afraid i live off the stuff. i think my starbucks habit is another thing that is going to suffer in september.

haha aww good luck to you! i have no motivation. all i can think about is uni and medicine and how good it is going to be... and then i have to open my adv. higher chem investigation. yawn. i swear i will never drink orange juice again. and as for physics..... at least chem was interesting in the beginning!

i should stop moaning and get on with it. a school investigation is definitely better than a uni dissertation, good luck, i hope your motivation holds out. just think about september, yay :D